The Realization of Getting Old

ajzepp

A few things I notice:

- hairs growing out of your ears, eyebrows, nose, and other places on or near your face seem to have acquired some kind of elixir whereby they can grow an inch overnight and grow anywhere.

- felt like I was gonna hurl on the last extreme amusement park ride I was on...didn't used to be that way.

- My kids correct me when I get some NBA/NFL/MLB player's team wrong...and it's occurring more frequently every year.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two bad knees and two bad shoulders. I've worked through the pain of them (going bad one at a time) for years to various degrees of success, now I have some really bad pain in my right elbow. It's really getting ridiculous.

This is killing me right now. I've always tried to stay in decent shape, but it's very difficult for me now. I still run between 1 and 2 miles most mornings, but it hardly seems to put a dent in my fitness level. The weight just keeps adding on (mostly due to my eating habits, which really do catch up to you as you get older) and exercise doesn't cut it anymore.

Um...running 1-2 miles a day is better than nothing but it really isn't much. Add 2 miles of walking briskly at the end of the day (alternatively run 3-4 miles a day rather than 1-2, but with knee problems might not be doable), change your eating habits 5 days a week and only eat lousy once or twice a week.

Edited by Steve O

Worst part is seeing photos of people from a class reunion on Facebook and thinking "OMG what a bunch of old farts" and then wondering whether I look just as old... :nana:

It might just be me, but it seems to me that people and esp. women - in their forties - look older in pictures than they do in person.

I have to ask. Are some of you "old farts:" (I'm one of the elder statesmen here) feeling old because you have kids? I'm 52 my wife is........well older than me....and we don't have kids and we're still rolling along and kids at heart. Just wondering.

Um...running 1-2 miles a day is better than nothing but it really isn't much. Add 2 miles of walking briskly at the end of the day (alternatively run 3-4 miles a day rather than 1-2, but with knee problems might not be doable), change your eating habits 5 days a week and only eat lousy once or twice a week.

:huh:

How about once or twice a month?

Now if you had said drink too much once or twice a week I'd be with you.

Edited by Chef Jim

I have to ask. Are some of you "old farts:" (I'm one of the elder statesmen here) feeling old because you have kids? I'm 52 my wife is........well older than me....and we don't have kids and we're still rolling along and kids at heart. Just wondering.

:huh:

How about once or twice a month?

Now if you had said drink too much once or twice a week I'd be with you.

good point, try to keep the alcohol abuse down to 1-2 times a week...make those the lousy eating days.

good point, try to keep the alcohol abuse down to 1-2 times a week...make those the lousy eating days.

Bad calories are bad calories. I prefer mine from a bottle. And make sure most of my food is not processed by anyone other than me.

Are you right handed or left.. Everyone should practice wiping with the hand you normal do not use.

Just in case?

A few things I notice:

- hairs growing out of your ears, eyebrows, nose, and other places on or near your face seem to have acquired some kind of elixir whereby they can grow an inch overnight and grow anywhere.

- felt like I was gonna hurl on the last extreme amusement park ride I was on...didn't used to be that way.

- My kids correct me when I get some NBA/NFL/MLB player's team wrong...and it's occurring more frequently every year.

Yeah the hair thing is what gets me. I swear you can trim up the eye brows and nose an nanoseconds later one that is inches long just appears. What the hell is up with that?

Just in case?

Yeah the hair thing is what gets me. I swear you can trim up the eye brows and nose an nanoseconds later one that is inches long just appears. What the hell is up with that?

I'm fond of asking why the heck i can grow hair in my ears, but not on my head?

Edited by Fatty McButterpants

So I moved recently and was checking out a watering hole I have hadn't previously been. The bartender asked for my ID. Thanks I said, thinking she carded me. for my youthful appearance. Then the drunk next to me stated "look at him. Hes old. HES !@#$ING OLD" LOOK! Don't card him" And she backed off her request and got my beer :lol:

For starters, I know what needs to be done to lose weight (running more would be better?? Really??). The first part of my reply talked about the pain most of my joints are in. I do what I can. As for eating, obviously I need to eat better to help my overall health, which is obviously why I wrote what I wrote, but thank you for the insight, um...I guess.

Edited by Faustus

also think when we get grumpy for little of no reason... a sign we aging... :blush:, also now pretty young ladies speak to me as it obvious I to old to make any moves, they just smile and pat me on head.... :o

Edited by millbank

What the hell are you talking about?!!? So....how's your weekend going?

goodness , never know what I am talking about... regular weekend.... fretting about rising cost of prune juice and side effects of laxatives. being told to be quiet... :blush:

also think when we get grumpy for little of no reason... a sign we aging... :blush:, also now pretty young ladies speak to me as it obvious I to old to make any moves, they just smile and pat me on head.... :o

Is that true because I have been getting really bitchy lately... the second part, um sorry to hear that. I think I get hit on more now (not that I do anything about it) than I did in my 20s.

also think when we get grumpy for little of no reason... a sign we aging... :blush:, also now pretty young ladies speak to me as it obvious I to old to make any moves, they just smile and pat me on head.... :o and tell me to take my medicine like a big boy....

fixed

Is that true because I have been getting really bitchy lately... the second part, um sorry to hear that. I think I get hit on more now (not that I do anything about it) than I did in my 20s.

me thinks this not being hit on, they want to be our mommies. I do sometimes delude myself otherwise only to be humbled. and be patted on head. :bag: