The Realization of Getting Old

ajzepp

So for the last half an hour, I've been on the toilet. What's the big deal, you may ask? I mean, 30 min is about right anyway...time enough to get comfortable, start the pre-dump activities, find the appropriate reading material, get in a good power wipe at the end, and then hit the soap and water. Well, the problem in this instance is that for the last 20 of those 30 mins, I was asleep. I've dozed off in some odd places before, but the toilet?? I woke up and my legs were both completely asleep, so I had to shift my butt side to side to let the blood flow get back in there...then I stood up just in time for the pins and needles to hit, which is always fun.

I turned41 in May, and I guess I was sort of waiting for that one important moment that would just epitomize my transition to the "later" years of my life, and I think this may have been it. Anyone else have a story of when it first became clear that they'd hit the point of no return?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't play softball for about 12 years. Went out, had a pretty decent day. Couple of line drive hits, no errors in the field.

Woke up the next day feeling like someone had hit my legs and groin about 100 times with a bat. Over a game of beer league softball? Are you kidding me?

Turned 50 last Saturday. Monday in the pouring rain tried to jump a puddle in my works parking lot...didn't quite stick the landing...broken arm & strained rib...

In my defence I attribute these events more to being fat and sedentary than I do to getting old

Turned 50 last Saturday. Monday in the pouring rain tried to jump a puddle in my works parking lot...didn't quite stick the landing...broken arm & strained rib...

In my defence I attribute these events more to being fat and sedentary than I do to getting old

AND got soaked.. Damn, Pooj! Get well soon!

So for the last half an hour, I've been on the toilet. What's the big deal, you may ask? I mean, 30 min is about right anyway...time enough to get comfortable, start the pre-dump activities, find the appropriate reading material, get in a good power wipe at the end, and then hit the soap and water. Well, the problem in this instance is that for the last 20 of those 30 mins, I was asleep. I've dozed off in some odd places before, but the toilet?? I woke up and my legs were both completely asleep, so I had to shift my butt side to side to let the blood flow get back in there...then I stood up just in time for the pins and needles to hit, which is always fun.

I turned41 in May, and I guess I was sort of waiting for that one important moment that would just epitomize my transition to the "later" years of my life, and I think this may have been it. Anyone else have a story of when it first became clear that they'd hit the point of no return?

maybe because of your sleep apnea?

told you that you are an old fart. Did you need help getting off the ground ?

Fat and old seem to go together.

Hope you feel better soon.

prun juice, a quart every morning may move things along.

I have as much or more respect for old people than anyone, but let's face it , they are not exactly internet savvy. I would suggest that you make a web show about getting old but there is simply no market for it. You way want to record it like a web show, publish it to VHS and sell it on an infomercial. Who knows? You might be able to call it a medical documentary and have the relics able to buy it with their Medicare money. You could get rich on this.

I am 48...over the last year or so, the reading glasses seem to becoming a more constant attachment to my face...kind of a bummer...I have always had good eye-sight, in a family where everyone else was not so fortunate.

Now I know the rest of the story. Get well quickly.

As for me it's the recovery time needed after any intense activity. Soreness lasts longer, hangovers last longer etc. I can't really point to any specific event.

what the? This doesn't? I don't even? What is this?!

Sucks, man.

I am 48...over the last year or so, the reading glasses seem to becoming a more constant attachment to my face...kind of a bummer...I have always had good eye-sight, in a family where everyone else was not so fortunate.

I have a pretty bad stigmatism in one eye and I've worn glasses since I was 6 so I didn't have to go through the whole reading glasses at 40. I have progressives and I love them.

My wife and I went to a graduation party this past weekend for a cousin who I haven't seen in about 10 years. Really, after living in Charlotte and Fairbanks, Alaska for the past 7 years, I haven't seen many of my extended family members for a very long time. Well, the little girl who I have memories of playing in her sandbox and toting around her dolls is now a WOMAN. I was particularly close (I am her godfather) to this little cousin when she was younger, and she immediately ran over to me and gave me a giant hug and kiss (made me feel wierd). Then, as I'm walking around, getting re-aquinted with the rest of the "youngsters," I realize that many of them are in college and some of them even have children.

This made me feel really old.

That's funny.

That's not funny, sorry to hear.

will be 73 this month... think it last summer, while walking what I felt was a rapid pace, noted a young couple walking at a slow relaxed pace, walk past me as though I standing still. Humbling it was.

That's funny.