Wishful Thinking

Owen

If E.J Emanuel excels this season the Bills could go 11 and 5 or 10 and 6... Buddy Nix certainly has been building a team around the QB position for the last three years. We have two excellent runners. A Offensive line when healthy is above average. Now we have some pretty good receivers which we did not have last year. Chemistry looks good. Talent looks good. Experience not so good. Coaching looks to be vastly improved. The defense looks to be much improved for they have a hellva defensive coordinator. He certainly has the talent to work with. So I am hoping that the fast pace offense and new defensive system is successful.. When all is said and done however, I still feel the QB position really needs to improve if the Bills are to make the playoffs...Can't wait to find out... Does anyone else feel the same?

Yes and I think EJ will step up to the plate. I'm not saying hell be Cam Mewton as far as stats goes. Or Big Ben as far as wins goes. But the potential is there for him to do either. I'm hoping he's just better than Fitz and that should put us back into the playoff race at least.

Eh...I sure hope so but looking at the schedule I do not see 10 wins...

Even if we get three wins between the four games against the Dolphins and Jets...which is a big if.

We play the browns who are the browns. Chiefs are usually a check but a completely re-built team. Playing the AFC North and NFC South...who are all very good. By the time we play J-Ville they will have a new QB at the helm so that may be a tossup. I see 5-11...get a playmaker on defense next year then we can talk about 9+ wins. Tough schedule for a rookie QB

Edited by BillsFanFromCincy2012

Funny, I was just having this conversation with my nephew.

E.J. would really have to stink in camp and preseason not to get the nod as the starting QB. So then my biggest concern is WR. When I think about a rookie QB with rookie WR, it does not give me a lot of confidence. That being said, with good o line play, two good RB that can catch, Chandler, and Johnson, maybe it's enough. Woods might be the key. If he is as NFL ready as people claim, it could be enough weapons to help a rookie QB succeed. Let's hope so.

As far as the coaching, it has to be better. Last year was down right bizarre.

The key to any success EJ might have this season will be a heavy dose of Spiller and Fred-Ex and a stout defense that gets off the field with stops and turnovers. The Vikings made the playoffs last year mostly b/c of AP, while Ponder just managed the game and didn't screw up too badly. That's the approach Marrone & Co. need to take with EJ. Remember he's a rookie--no matter how physically talented he may be, he's still gonna have to figure out defenses and make good decisions, which is not easy for the best or smartest of rookies. So play great defense, run the ball and the Bills might win some close ones they're not supposed to.......

I personally think a 10-11 win season is expecting/hoping for too much. IMO the future looks great I just don't expect it to manifest this season, but I do anticipate it to start. I think a great season for the 2013 Bills is 8-8. Beyond a tough schedule, too many crucial things have to come together in one off season to be a playoff/AFC East winning team.

I don't think it's impossible to come from no where to win 10-11 games but I'd put about a 10% chance that could happen. This season to me is about building something that starts resembling a team that could take the next step. 8-8 does that for me. If we go less than 7 wins I think we'll be looking at year 3 of the new regime to start thinking about 10-11 wins.

I could see us winnig 4 game before I could us winning 10. Rookie coach, QB and WR plus one of the worst defenses the NFL has seen in a while. Let's hope it really was the wrist and the coaching that led to this.

I hope it's 10 wins but i'd be satisfied with team improvement and EJ playing well in the last 6-8 weeks of the year. Maybe 6-8 wins.

If E.J Emanuel excels this season the Bills could go 11 and 5 or 10 and 6... Buddy Nix certainly has been building a team around the QB position for the last three years. We have two excellent runners. A Offensive line when healthy is above average. Now we have some pretty good receivers which we did not have last year. Chemistry looks good. Talent looks good. Experience not so good. Coaching looks to be vastly improved. The defense looks to be much improved for they have a hellva defensive coordinator. He certainly has the talent to work with. So I am hoping that the fast pace offense and new defensive system is successful.. When all is said and done however, I still feel the QB position really needs to improve if the Bills are to make the playoffs...Can't wait to find out... Does anyone else feel the same?

We do not have an above average line when healthy. It is below average. Our TE corps is banged up and thin. Most of our WRs have never caught an NFL pass. Our starting QB will either be a rookie or a vet coming off a season where he got hammered. RBs are outstanding.

Our Defensive backs are mixed with one star and an emerging star. The rest is thin. LBs are thin. DLine looks solid but the kicking game will be very inexperienced.

Offensive coaching staff is very inexperienced.

We will lose in more exciting ways. No reason to be excited till next year.

Edited by jumbalaya

We do not have an above average line when healthy. It is below average. Our TE corps is banged up and thin. Most of our WRs have never caught an NFL pass. Our starting QB will either be a rookie or a vet coming off a season where he got hammered. RBs are outstanding.

Our Defensive backs are mixed with one star and an emerging star. The rest is thin. LBs are thin. DLine looks solid but the kicking game will be very inexperienced.

Nothing gets me ready for the season like somebody telling me it's already over.

I could see us winnig 4 game before I could us winning 10. Rookie coach, QB and WR plus one of the worst defenses the NFL has seen in a while. Let's hope it really was the wrist and the coaching that led to this.

I hope it's 10 wins but i'd be satisfied with team improvement and EJ playing well in the last 6-8 weeks of the year. Maybe 6-8 wins.

I agree. We are simply closer to a 4 win team than a 10 win team. That's the simple reality based on the last time we saw them in action. Too many new systems and personnel to integrate for me to believe it won't be a while before everyone is executing by instinct rather than having to think it through too much.

Hoping for 19-0 like always, though. ]

GO BILLS!!!

i strongly disagree with this, there are plenty of reasons to be excited for the upcoming season.

-cj spiller expanding on the job he did last year.

-rookie qb with tons of ability and a great head on his shoulders.

-new gm, new head coach, new oc, new dc.

-healthy mario williams, healthy kyle williams, and hopefully an emotionally healthy marcel dareus.

-young, aggressive mlbs that seem to be fast and hard hitting.

-young wrs that should grow as the season progresses...

i think there is a lot to be excited about.

oh yeah, i forgot about watching the progression of gilmore and glenn.

Edited by swnybillsfan

The key to any success EJ might have this season will be a heavy dose of Spiller and Fred-Ex and a stout defense that gets off the field with stops and turnovers. The Vikings made the playoffs last year mostly b/c of AP, while Ponder just managed the game and didn't screw up too badly. That's the approach Marrone & Co. need to take with EJ. Remember he's a rookie--no matter how physically talented he may be, he's still gonna have to figure out defenses and make good decisions, which is not easy for the best or smartest of rookies. So play great defense, run the ball and the Bills might win some close ones they're not supposed to.......

kind of like Brady and Big Ben.

i strongly disagree with this, there are plenty of reasons to be excited for the upcoming season.

-cj spiller expanding on the job he did last year.

-rookie qb with tons of ability and a great head on his shoulders.

-new gm, new head coach, new oc, new dc.

-healthy mario williams, healthy kyle williams, and hopefully an emotionally healthy marcel dareus.

-young, aggressive mlbs that seem to be fast and hard hitting.

-young wrs that should grow as the season progresses...

i think there is a lot to be excited about.

oh yeah, i forgot about watching the progression of gilmore and glenn.

I agree. Come 1:00 on Sept. 8th, I will be standing at my seat waiting for kickoff, spine tingling, fully embracing the possibility that we can and will beat the Pats*. I don't care if we go another 13 years without sniffing the playoffs - I start every year with similar expectations and I hope I never lose that hope.