Patriots' Hernandez arrested in homicide investigation

He's going away obviously so this will be about how many they can take down in the gang, etc to lower his sentence down to say 25-40 years.

I remember the past thread on surreal moments in the Bills. Well, this is the most surreal moment I can think of in the NFL. People getting arresed for DUI, Domestic violence, domestic issues, although appalling is a horrible part of our society. This is unreal to think of a top 3-4 TE in the NFL being convisted possibly pf a triple homicide.

This is nowhere near the surreal spectacle of OJ, who was also a MUCH bigger public figure. The Bronco ride, Al Cowlings, etc.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes two points in this post to reply to. SAFETY!

1. I really do not like Sully's whining anti-Bills' bias that is the genesis of everything he writes about the team. However to post something here attacking today's Sully commentary is really stupid because Sully while stating the obvious was doing his job. Commentators observe the world, take what might be uniquely out of synch, and develop the information into a story to get us wondering how many others are living out of the main stream while perhaps catching a reader whose thought process might be reversed through the discovery provided by the author.

2. Having had the privilege of knowing many members of the Philadelphia Eagles (No, I am not an Eagles' fan.) I can attest that the majority of players in the National Football League are competive normal guys with no inherent compulsion to participate in thuggery. Yes, there are players who clearly thrive on the violent edge of life and outlaw culture but they are merely the few who sadly gather the most attention. I suggest anyone who is suspect of how NFL players fit into society check out the recent discussion board on Moats. Many players are involved in faith related activities including the FCA. Reality is that these are young men who act like other young men away from the field (most in good ways but a minority in bad ways.)... they just happen to play football.

Honestly this is as big if not bigger for the NFL b/c this is an active player, in his prime, on a high profile team, who scores a lot and has a big contract, name recognition, etc....OJ was a huge deal but he had some space between himself and the NFL....Hernandez is in thick of it.

Honestly this is as big if not bigger for the NFL b/c this is an active player, in his prime, on a high profile team, who scores a lot and has a big contract, name recognition, etc....OJ was a huge deal but he had some space between himself and the NFL....Hernandez is in thick of it.

OJ was on the NBC studio show with Costas at the time. He was still tied to the NFL.

this/these trial(s) are gonna be all about AH and his gang pointing fingers at eachother.just watch.

I haven't read every word on this. Is he part of a real gang, like the Bloods or whatever, or do you mean AH and his boys?

OJ was on the NBC studio show with Costas at the time. He was still tied to the NFL.

I haven't read every word on this. Is he part of a real gang, like the Bloods or whatever, or do you mean AH and his boys?

I meant more the people he hung around with--those in the rented vans etc. I don't know about official gang stuff.

So Jerry Sullivan spends a lot of newspaper space in his column today to let us know that when it comes to the Hernandez matter, we should all feel sorry for the victim, not the NFL. Gee Jerry, in your next column you should tell us that we should all oppose hurricanes and famines. I mean, I know you referenced one caller to a talk show who stated he felt sorry for the NFL, but one moron in a country of 300 million people does not a consensus make. Take note, Captain Obvious, that I seriously doubt that there was even one person in your Western New York readership population that woke up this morning and thought to himself (herself) "gosh I really feel sorry for the NFL today".

But I am glad that Jerry let us know that he feels bad for the victim and not the NFL. In next weeks column, I understand that he is going to let us all know that he opposes cancer, and we should too.

given that someone very close to him recently died of cancer, i would certainly think he opposes it.

and given that we spend all this much money on sports, perhaps a reminder that there are those among us suffering through weather-related tragedy or famine, might well be on occasion be appropriate.

not sure i get your point, given that there were people chanting Hernandez's name as he was being brought into custody, while a family grieved.

there are times when we as a society misses what should be the obvious. not entirely sure what's wrong in bringing perspective to a fast-moving story.

just because you might have your head turned on straight, doesn't mean everyone else does, either.

but criticize all you like. it's your right.

jw

I meant more the people he hung around with--those in the rented vans etc. I don't know about official gang stuff.

Got it. It does seem gang related, though. Why a multimillionaire needs to be in a gang or take part and orchestrate gangster type activities is beyond me.

Got it. It does seem gang related, though. Why a multimillionaire needs to be in a gang or take part and orchestrate gangster type activities is beyond me.

I believe the implication is its a street gang, though how organized and dangerous hasn't been discussed, that he's been around since a young age. Now that he's rich, that association can get messy. "Oh you think your better than us" if you cut ties abruptly.... Friends say he tried and it very much upset people involved.

How true on any front? I don't have any idea.

Perhaps, but the description used was " most surreal". I can't think of anything related to the NFL more surreal, than watching the Michael Jordan of his generation in a live television slow-speed freeway chase, being cheered on by crowds while he holds a gun to his head with his best friend driving. This is just a guy that plays football that has killed some people, and I don't consider it "surreal".

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Perhaps, but the description used was " most surreal". I can't think of anything related to the NFL more surreal, than watching the Michael Jordan of his generation in a live television slow-speed freeway chase, being cheered on by crowds while he holds a gun to his head with his best friend driving. This is just a guy that plays football that has killed some people, and I don't consider it "surreal".

And add that to the fact there was a baba booey call During the ABC coverage. Greatest car chase ever.

I believe the implication is its a street gang, though how organized and dangerous hasn't been discussed, that he's been around since a young age. Now that he's rich, that association can get messy. "Oh you think your better than us" if you cut ties abruptly.... Friends say he tried and it very much upset people involved.

How true on any front? I don't have any idea.

That might be true, but did he have to take such a leadership position?!?