Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

How about we worry about what is REALLY happening and stop throwing out hypothetical's. Also FYI the cap also has a minimum that every team must spend and the Bills are under it.

link? Haven't heard that the team is UNDER the MINIMUM.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I am saying is that the Bills are not using their money to put good players on the field. They didn't get anyone of consequence in free agency, they let a pro-bowl player walk and now we are talking about letting another one walk. What are their plans for spending their cash? Are they waiting for a rainy day? Well it's raining and has been for some time.

While Levitre did not make the Pro Bowl, I think we should stop putting that moniker in front of a players name from now on. Making the Pro Bowl the way it's set up does not mean what it used to.

What Pro Bowler are you referring to? Levitre? Sorry he never made the Pro Bowl. So if I understand you correctly the Bills have to pay Byrd whatever he wants because you can't take any more players leaving the Bills?

PTR

Who?

GO BILLS!!!

While Levitre did not make the Pro Bowl, I think we should stop putting that moniker in front of a players name from now on. Making the Pro Bowl the way it's set up does not mean what it used to.

:lol: I love how everyone immediately jumps on this aspect of the post instead of commenting on the substance. Unless of course the implication is that since Levitre didn't make the pro-bowl then he's really not a good player, which is ludicrous as nucci points out.

I ask again, if the Bills aren't going to spend their money to keep their best players then what are they planning to use it for?

Edited by vincec

link? Haven't heard that the team is UNDER the MINIMUM.

If I did the math correctly, each team must spend just under $111M this season. Last update I saw the Bills had over $20M to spend (meaning they were somewhere around $100M...see PTR's post from several weeks ago). That's prior to signing The Big L, Manuel & potentially Byrd. I believe that PTR's thread took the other rookies into account.

:lol: I love how everyone immediately jumps on this aspect of the post instead of commenting on the substance. Unless of course the implication is that since Levitre didn't make the pro-bowl then he's really not a good player, which is ludicrous as nucci points out.

I ask again, if the Bills aren't going to spend their money to keep their best players then what are they planning to use it for?

You are missing the point a bit. The Bills are not sitting on the money. The Bills are making a substantial offer to Byrd. But his agent feels he should be paid the most at his position. That's the rub.

PTR

You are missing the point a bit. The Bills are not sitting on the money. The Bills are making a substantial offer to Byrd. But his agent feels he should be paid the most at his position. That's the rub.

PTR

This. Who talks about throwing extra money at one person because they're asking for it ??

Byrd is not under contract and only players under contract are mandated to be at the mini-camp. So he's not doing anything wrong. In fact I would do the same thing - I'm not going to camp and exposing myself to injury when I'm on the cusp of signing the (potentially) only contract that will take came of me/my family for the rest of our lives.

By waiting (holding out), it's the only leverage he has to getting the best deal possible for him/his family. The Bills, by drafting 2 safeties, are saying we are prepared to move on without you if we need to. So both sides look at it and hope time is on there side and will cause the other to compromise first. Hopefully as Training Camp approaches and the heat is turned-up on both sides, each will move toward the middlie and get a deal done.

Worse case scenario - Byrd sits out the season

Next worse case - Byrd sits 10 weeks, then comes to play (bad omen for his future with the team)

Medium case - he signs the tender by 7/15 (potentially leaves him somewhat disgruntled and is not a positive sign about the future because they'll have to go thru this again next year)

Better scenario - he signs the tender and signs a long term deal as the summer/season progresses

Best case scenario - He signs a long term deal by the start of Camp

If I did the math correctly, each team must spend just under $111M this season. Last update I saw the Bills had over $20M to spend (meaning they were somewhere around $100M...see PTR's post from several weeks ago). That's prior to signing The Big L, Manuel & potentially Byrd. I believe that PTR's thread took the other rookies into account.

incorrect, the 20m includes rollover dollars (roughly 10m). they should be right at, or above the minumum currently.

It is in the rules starting this year every team must spend a minimum of 89% of total salary cap for this year.

correct, but you havent provided the bills have not cleared that threshold

Edited by NoSaint

As to the substance, Levitre is a great pass blocker and, while a good tactician, is not a very good run blocker. He is too often manhandled at the pont of attack. For that kind of money, Levitre must DOMINATE his position. He's just not that kind of player.

In terms of who the Bills are going to spend their money on well, Wood and Spiller are just two that have been mentioned. Both are better at their respective positions than either Byrd or Levitre and are just more important cogs at the moment.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Andy never had a chance of getting paid big money here.

He had every chance of getting paid big money here. He just never had a chance of getting paid the BIGGER money he found in Tenny. Like Andy said, he was looking forward to that "once in a lifetime opportunity" that free agency provides and he wasn't gonna get cheated. And good for him.

And even better for the Bills.

GO BILLS!!!

He had every chance of getting paid big money here. He just never had a chance of getting paid the BIGGER money he found in Tenny. Like Andy said, he was looking forward to that "once in a lifetime opportunity" that free agency provides and he wasn't gonna get cheated. And good for him.

And even better for the Bills.

GO BILLS!!!

Well said. Good for him and I liked him as a player. But paying that much for a guard with Bryd and Wood coming up would be stupid.

PTR

My questions (and my point) is: what are the Bills going to do with the money if the don't sign Byrd at whatever price? If they don't think he's worth what he's asking and let him go then they have a pile of money and another hole on defense. If it was a choice like sign Byrd or Spiller then you have to pick, but that isn't the case. I was told that the choice was Levitre or Byrd and now it looks like we may lose both, and if that was the case then why did we let Levitre walk? Is it simply the principle of not paying a lot for players?

Well said. Good for him and I liked him as a player. But paying that much for a guard with Bryd and Wood coming up would be stupid.

What happens when Wood wants more than a center with an injury history is worth? Let him walk too?

Edited by vincec

My questions (and my point) is: what are the Bills going to do with the money if the don't sign Byrd at whatever price? If they don't think he's worth what he's asking and let him go then they have a pile of money and another hole on defense. If it was a choice like sign Byrd or Spiller then you have to pick, but that isn't the case. I was told that the choice was Levitre or Byrd and now it looks like we may lose both, and if that was the case then why did we let Levitre walk? Is it simply the principle of not paying a lot for players?

What happens when Wood wants more than a center with an injury history is worth? Let him walk too?

How can I or anyone answer what the Bills will do with the money they don't spend on Byrd? But having money burning a hole in your pocket is not a reason to overpay a player.

As for Wood, if he wants more than the Bills think he's worth then, yeah, he probably goes too.

It's not like the Bills have never reached a deal to keep their own players. If a player is reasonable he gets a deal. Funny how it's always Eugene Parker's clients we have so much trouble with.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I wonder if anyone knows what "overpay" actually means by the way it is thrown around so loosely here.

Every player is either overpaid or underpaid. The Bills seem to have no problem paying Byrd around $7M. But I guess that isn't enough.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This logic will soon enough apply to Wood and Spiller . And then we can insert Wood for Levitre and come to the same conclusion. Then Spiller is in line .

seriously though folks.

You guys are picking and choosing who gets the Money.

Dont be surprised if we are looking for a more consistently healthy center already.

CJ will define his value / bad self / this year and will demand elite money if he plays as most of us project !

So wise ole Brandon must analyze that too .

C biscuit Paying Andy as much as he got from Tenn. would be stupid but not because of Woodman .

The Spiller deal for elite money will surely create some heated dialogue around here though .

Jairus . Best wishes . I was a huge fan.

Byrd is not under contract and only players under contract are mandated to be at the mini-camp. So he's not doing anything wrong. In fact I would do the same thing - I'm not going to camp and exposing myself to injury when I'm on the cusp of signing the (potentially) only contract that will take came of me/my family for the rest of our lives.

By waiting (holding out), it's the only leverage he has to getting the best deal possible for him/his family. The Bills, by drafting 2 safeties, are saying we are prepared to move on without you if we need to. So both sides look at it and hope time is on there side and will cause the other to compromise first. Hopefully as Training Camp approaches and the heat is turned-up on both sides, each will move toward the middlie and get a deal done.

Worse case scenario - Byrd sits out the season

Next worse case - Byrd sits 10 weeks, then comes to play (bad omen for his future with the team)

Medium case - he signs the tender by 7/15 (potentially leaves him somewhat disgruntled and is not a positive sign about the future because they'll have to go thru this again next year)

Better scenario - he signs the tender and signs a long term deal as the summer/season progresses

Best case scenario - He signs a long term deal by the start of Camp

Here's a hypothetical.

As a show of good faith and camaraderie, Byrd reports to the team, doesn't participate in any drills but spends time around the facility and familiarizing himself with the scheme.

Hopelessly ridiculous?