Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

If CJ Spiller is put to his best use under Marrone, and if he performs at a strong per-carry level, then be prepared to make him the highest-paid RB in the NFL. So to everyone who thinks the Bills should cave on Byrd, what is CJ Spiller worth?

PTR

So don't go after free agents so that you can save money to resign your own players. Then let Levitre walk so that you have money for other "key" positions. Then Byrd walks so that you can resign Wood and Spiller. What happens when Wood and Spiller walk? What will they use the money on then? A new yacht?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have time with Spiller. Woods won't get a huge contract all that cap space is no where needed for Wood this is all for the Byrd signing. Wood will be paid but he also has to prove he can go without injury.

if CJ produces like we all know he can and want him to, he will be in the running for total yards from scrimmage leader, rushing leader, and could add TDs into that list. He's absolutely amazing. We all know that. The coaches know that. The players know that. The opponents know that.

So lets ask this question, if CJ has 1500+ yards, anywhere from 15-20 TDs, do you really think its long before he asks for more money?

Lets say he has one good season like that, and he asks for more, we tell him to go pound sand. He says OK, ill come back without a holdout, but when I have an even better season in 2014, your going to pay me to be the highest paid RB in the league. Then he goes out, another year into Marrones offense with EJ firm as his number one, and destroys everyone he plays. Like he's Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson. Then we have to pay him ungodly money to make him happy. And if we don't? We lose another 1st round RB, probably the best in the league at the time at his position, and have to start all over again at the RB position. Of course Freddy will probably retire or be forced to retire at about the same time because his legs will be about to fall off.

So lets ask that question again if you think CJ still shouldn't be thought about when saving money.

if CJ produces like we all know he can and want him to, he will be in the running for total yards from scrimmage leader, rushing leader, and could add TDs into that list. He's absolutely amazing. We all know that. The coaches know that. The players know that. The opponents know that.

So lets ask this question, if CJ has 1500+ yards, anywhere from 15-20 TDs, do you really think its long before he asks for more money?

Lets say he has one good season like that, and he asks for more, we tell him to go pound sand. He says OK, ill come back without a holdout, but when I have an even better season in 2014, your going to pay me to be the highest paid RB in the league. Then he goes out, another year into Marrones offense with EJ firm as his number one, and destroys everyone he plays. Like he's Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson. Then we have to pay him ungodly money to make him happy. And if we don't? We lose another 1st round RB, probably the best in the league at the time at his position, and have to start all over again at the RB position. Of course Freddy will probably retire or be forced to retire at about the same time because his legs will be about to fall off.

So lets ask that question again if you think CJ still shouldn't be thought about when saving money.

How about we worry about what is REALLY happening and stop throwing out hypothetical's. Also FYI the cap also has a minimum that every team must spend and the Bills are under it.

Edited by EJ3

So don't go after free agents so that you can save money to resign your own players. Then let Levitre walk so that you have money for other "key" positions. Then Byrd walks so that you can resign Wood and Spiller. What happens when Wood and Spiller walk? What will they use the money on then? A new yacht?

So what you are saying is the Bills must re-sign every player and pay them whatever they want? If you do it now won't that be the case every time?

PTR

So what you are saying is the Bills must re-sign every player and pay them whatever they want? If you do it now won't that be the case every time?

PTR

No but you know how every year there are some teams that we all say "wait how are they still signing people?!?"

It's because there are ways to make it happen and we are still miles away from walking that fine line. I won't say pay him anything but a lot of people are so used to a bad roster that they are baffled by the idea that you can sign good players, pay them fairly and still have a lot of them.

PTR

What I am saying is that the Bills are not using their money to put good players on the field. They didn't get anyone of consequence in free agency, they let a pro-bowl player walk and now we are talking about letting another one walk. What are their plans for spending their cash? Are they waiting for a rainy day? Well it's raining and has been for some time.

Edited by vincec

Fell flat the next? He had his best year last year. He didn't allow a single TD in coverage, and as QB's shied away from him (only 21 targets), he still managed to pick off 5 balls and change the outcome of at least 1 game (maybe 2). He's the best coverage free safety in the league, and aside from an aging Ed Reed the best free safety in the league period. If you indeed watched his play last year and considered it average, you either a) don't know the difference between a strong safety and a free safety, or b) need to cut back on your liquor intake during these games. There wasn't a better free safety on the field last year, and I'm not just saying that as some blindly-devoted Bills' homer.

If you want to make the argument that a safety isn't worth $8M+, okay, that discussion has legs. But to say he's average and can be upgraded is laughable.

that is over the top and you should apologise to # 34 .

I suggest You did not watch the games and rely on stats. But the personal accusations and critique are awful manners and deserve a glove. Shame on you .

Byrd fell short last year.

I saw that .

He had moments and he got some stats. i saw that too.

What I am saying is that the Bills are not using their money to put good players on the field. They didn't get anyone of consequence in free agency, they let a pro-bowl player walk and now we are talking about letting another one walk. What are their plans for spending their cash? Are they waiting for a rainy day? Well it's raining and has been for some time.

What Pro Bowler are you referring to? Levitre? Sorry he never made the Pro Bowl. So if I understand you correctly the Bills have to pay Byrd whatever he wants because you can't take any more players leaving the Bills?

PTR

Byrd is not playing another down for the Bills. Deal with it everybody. He is a smallish safety. He is a good player, but he is not Ed Reed or Troy Palamalu or Ronnie Lott. I am sure the Bills have made an offer they feel is market value for a player of his talents. But he wants to be the top paid safety in the league. That is Parker's MO, and he has that right, and so does Byrd. But it is bad business for the Bills to pay him as the top safety in the league when the defenses he has played on have SUCKED!! And he was a part of that suckitude. There are plenty of times when he is out of position in deep coverage.

I would venture to say that the Bills coaches, have evaluated who they have, and what they are trying to accomplish on Defense, and figure that if Byrd wants ridiculous money, he will have to sit or eventually be traded. They have plenty of safeties right now, and Pettine's defense will allow decent players to excel. They will make due with who they have, and that should hopefully turn out quite well. I like Byrd and wish he would sign with us. But I can NOT STAND players who hold out!! He is being offered $6.9 mill for one season. That is huge money, even if he never plays another year because of injury. If he really wanted to play for us, he would have signed the one year tag, and than have his agent try and negotiate a long term deal. Once again, I think he wants out, and will eventually get his wish. But not until the Bills are richly rewarded w several draft picks.

Letting a Pro-Bowler walk?? Huh?

Edited by mitchmurraydowntown

Thought this might be a good time to review the quotes given in Tim Graham's very good BN article a week ago or so about Eugene Parker, Byrd's agent:

“Under the system, the Bills were allowed to pay Jairus substantially less than a Pro Bowl player at his position makes for four years,” Parker said. “The Bills, under the CBA, have the ability to restrict his free agency by making him a one-year offer, which we can accept or not accept.

“He’s fulfilled every clause of his contract, and he’s played at 15 to 20 percent of what his market value is for a player at his position, and he did it for four years with no complaints.

“Now, it’s time. We’ve got to figure something out.”

The Bills met with Parker in February at the NFL scouting combine, where each side made its position clear. Brandon said Friday the Bills “have made offers to his camp that are very competitive in the marketplace.”

“We’re going to continue to do everything we can to get this done,” Brandon said. “That’s the ultimate goal. It’s never an easy process, but the franchise tag is an asset that’s collectively bargained and that we’re provided, and he has what’s available to him by not being here until when he feels he should be.”

“I understand the business of football,” Parker said. “I realize teams have choices and options, and players have choices and options. And the better the player, the better options that player has.

“If a deal doesn’t work for the player or team, then it doesn’t work. We can agree to disagree. That doesn’t make the team bad, or me bad or the player bad.”

good post sir

If CJ produces AP type yards and TDs I would have no hesitation paying him AP type money. $13m pa. 25 touches per game looks like tremendous value. I hope he does. Start clearing some cap space.

Byrd is not playing another down for the Bills. Deal with it everybody. He is a smallish safety. He is a good player, but he is not Ed Reed or Troy Palamalu or Ronnie Lott. I am sure the Bills have made an offer they feel is market value for a player of his talents. But he wants to be the top paid safety in the league. That is Parker's MO, and he has that right, and so does Byrd. But it is bad business for the Bills to pay him as the top safety in the league when the defenses he has played on have SUCKED!! And he was a part of that suckitude. There are plenty of times when he is out of position in deep coverage.

I would venture to say that the Bills coaches, have evaluated who they have, and what they are trying to accomplish on Defense, and figure that if Byrd wants ridiculous money, he will have to sit or eventually be traded. They have plenty of safeties right now, and Pettine's defense will allow decent players to excel. They will make due with who they have, and that should hopefully turn out quite well. I like Byrd and wish he would sign with us. But I can NOT STAND players who hold out!! He is being offered $6.9 mill for one season. That is huge money, even if he never plays another year because of injury. If he really wanted to play for us, he would have signed the one year tag, and than have his agent try and negotiate a long term deal. Once again, I think he wants out, and will eventually get his wish. But not until the Bills are richly rewarded w several draft picks.

You do realize players do this every year? Brees doesn't want to be a saint and manning hated playing for the colts right? Or is business simply business and he already played last year like a good soldier?

Correct - Byrd can't do it all and he still wont be able to do it all if he gets paid $8m pa / $10m pa. So lets use the cash to upgrade multiple defensive positions.

Is that they want the Bills to pay him? If so, I don't think he is worth that much, we do have a bunch of other guys.

Overpaying 8 million instead of 7 to keep a top player is better than letting him walk ala fat pat, Antoine and London to name a few. The reason we have sucked isn't because we may overpay to keep OUR OWN YOUNG STAR is it?

Sure...if every player is actually a star.

Who?

GO BILLS!!!