Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

OK NoSaint. You're right. It's time to chill. As Doug Marrone said its time to take 6 weeks off to relax with family and friends before camp. I guess some of us are too eager for the roster to be set and the regular season to begin. It's just a pity that JB is not relaxing with his iPad play book and a nice fat contract (but not too fat) in his pocket !

Did we settle whether he had a playbook? I still suspect he does until confirmed otherwise

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see far less turning on Byrd than I do little to no appreciation for the Bills' side in this negotiation. Both sides have solid reasons for their respective positions.

GO BILLS!!!

Quarterback and safety. One is not like the other.

GO BILLS!!!

Yea, ours is a lot easier to let go down to the wire without consequence.

I brought them up specifically because Brady was referenced as an example of why Byrd was off base with pushing.... Otherwise I could have just pointed at clady as another guy going through the same process right now. Simply put, when you have good players, this happens. We haven't had many, so fans aren't used to the waiting game of the tag.

As a whole there's a lot of mixing up ideals with norms around here. It'd be awesome if everything went perfect, but it won't, and so far, until we hear otherwise.... This process is pretty standard issue for how the tag plays out. We will see what the next "benchmark" holds, but that's a good month away and I suspect this thread is going to be a disaster of panic and tearing apart both parties for taking to long but in reality this is an expected quiet period. Once the tag hit him odds were no news til July. Silence isn't bad news, there's no indication this is turning ugly, etc....

Don't think you can give a guy who isn't on the team a playbook.

They can give whoever they want a playbook. Think ej just picked his up when he signed? They could give you a playbook if they wanted.

and not to mention he was a signed member of the team when pettine was hired up until march.

Edited by NoSaint

I brought them up specifically because Brady was referenced as an example of why Byrd was off base with pushing.... Otherwise I could have just pointed at clady as another guy going through the same process right now. Simply put, when you have good players, this happens. We haven't had many, so fans aren't used to the waiting game of the tag.

As a whole there's a lot of mixing up ideals with norms around here. It'd be awesome if everything went perfect, but it won't, and so far, until we hear otherwise.... This process is pretty standard issue for how the tag plays out. We will see what the next "benchmark" holds, but that's a good month away and I suspect this thread is going to be a disaster of panic and tearing apart both parties for taking to long but in reality this is an expected quiet period. Once the tag hit him odds were no news til July. Silence isn't bad news, there's no indication this is turning ugly, etc....

They can give whoever they want a playbook. Think ej just picked his up when he signed? They could give you a playbook if they wanted.

and not to mention he was a signed member of the team when pettine was hired up until march.

I like this perspective. We've seen some dry times in terms of talent, that's for sure.

I can't remember the last time I reacted emotionally when the Bills didn't come to terms with a player I really liked. It's been more about the laundry than the players since FAgency started. At least for me, anyway. People might slam me for this, but I'd be more upset if I thought Byrd really was worth making the highest paid safety in the history of the game. But he's just too limited physically and has been caught out of position too often for me to think he's irreplaceable. Like Levitre, he would have to actually DOMINATE his position for me to be swayed to make him the highest paid at the position. But he's not that kind of player. At least from what I've seen. Yes, he makes the big play on occassion. But he also gets caught and gives up big plays as well. And I just don't see enough of the former to outweigh the latter to justify being the highest paid in history.

That said, I WOULD like to see him in Pettine's system. It's done wonders for FSs before.

GO BILLS!!!

EJ and Byrd are apples and oranges. EJ is on the team Byrd isn't.

Edited by EJ3

EJ and Byrd are apples and oranges. EJ is on the team Byrd isn't. Not just Byrd isn't under contract it is he isn't on the team right now.

Not in terms of being issued a playbook.

GO BILLS!!!

I like this perspective. We've seen some dry times in terms of talent, that's for sure.

I can't remember the last time I reacted emotionally when the Bills didn't come to terms with a player I really liked. It's been more about the laundry than the players since FAgency started. At least for me, anyway. People might slam me for this, but I'd be more upset if I thought Byrd really was worth making the highest paid safety in the history of the game. But he's just too limited physically and has been caught out of position too often for me to think he's irreplaceable. Like Levitre, he would have to actually DOMINATE his position for me to be swayed to make him the highest paid at the position. But he's not that kind of player. At least from what I've seen. Yes, he makes the big play on occassion. But he also gets caught and gives up big plays as well. And I just don't see enough of the former to outweigh the latter to justify being the highest paid in history.

That said, I WOULD like to see him in Pettine's system. It's done wonders for FSs before.

GO BILLS!!!

Ill generally agree but I'm not sure how long the list of free safeties is I'd put ahead of him today.

We keep hearing about Ed reed and Troy polamolu but those guys best days are behind and they'll never see a deal like we're discussing. Comparing him to the young guys, there aren't many I'd put ahead of him. With levitre there are guys head and shoulders above him, with Byrd, I'm not sure that's the case. Goldson, weddle and such aren't much, if any, better from what I've seen but you only see so much free safety play unless you follow a team closely - otherwise it tends to just be highlight reel coverage as you don't see much in the secondary on an average Sunday/Monday night coverage a few times a year.

EJ and Byrd are apples and oranges. EJ is on the team Byrd isn't.

I think your mixing personal opinion of two guys situations with (made up by you, as far as I know) league policy on how they should be treated based on that opinion and coming to a conclusion....

They are both players the bills held the rights to that were not under contract.

The team can put a playbook in every fans seat on opening day if they want

And like I said he was a signed member of this team under this staff even if the rule existed, and we took your opinion of him vs ej as an actual distinction.

Link?

Since you are making the original claim, we might ask you likewise

I didn't make the claim I said I don't "THINK" then you pretty much told me I am wrong when you have yet to provide me links.

All I am asking for is a link that this isn't the case since you are so matter of fact with it.

Edited by EJ3

I didn't make the claim I said I don't "THINK" then you pretty much told me I am wrong when you have yet to provide me links.

All I am asking for is a link that this isn't the case since you are so matter of fact with it.

Well, I don't think you are right for the assorted reasons listed and ill add that there's no purpose for such a rule.

OK so you have no idea that is all I needed to know.

Ill send you links to unsigned rookies getting playbooks? Which you haven't shown is different beyond "that's different!" Are you also stating that the saints confiscated drews playbook last march? And ill say again even under the unenforceable rule with seemingly no purpose for the nfl and still being one that you can't cite, they could've handed him one in march.

Do you think when the jets just did a 3 day workout at OTAs with kellen Winslow they weren't allowed to share the playbook with him? Or does the rule say unsigned guys are only allowed to hear about the plays at team facilities, creating another distinction between Byrd and other instances easily provided with still no rule to cite?

Otherwise I don't know what you expect to be produced to prove the absence of a rule.... A media report of an example of a playbook being issued to a guy by a new incoming staff, after getting the tag, and likely under the new CBA? Kind of a restricted subset - you know, only Byrd.

The existence of the rule would be the easily linkable occurence.

Edited by NoSaint

I wouldn't give Byrd a playbook at all, he's currently an outsider & will remain as such until he signs the papers. Would you like an outside team he might get traded too getting your playbook ??

Ummm you mean like the 30 guys that have it that will be cut shortly and are much less likely to be a bill week one?

You don't pass them out like candy, but they aren't near as restricted as fans often portray either

Edited by NoSaint

Ummm you mean like the 30 guys that have it that will be cut shortly and are much less likely to be a bill week one?

You don't pass them out like candy, but they aren't near as restricted as fans often portray either

Plus it's not like teams can watch actual game footage of all other teams, right?

OK NoSaint. You're right. It's time to chill. As Doug Marrone said its time to take 6 weeks off to relax with family and friends before camp. I guess some of us are too eager for the roster to be set and the regular season to begin. It's just a pity that JB is not relaxing with his iPad play book and a nice fat contract (but not too fat) in his pocket !

Anyways to your point of not having (or having) the iPad, it was really cool to hear Alan Branch's interview for that very fact.

It was a run-of-the-mill interview except that Branch talked about still being able to study the playbook, have videos of the installation lectures, and practice footage uploaded by the team while he was away with his wife and newborn.

I wonder at this point if there are any NFL teams left who don't use iPads?

Getting back to Byrd, while both sides have some leverage, I maintain that the Bills have more.

And I get the feeling that the team won't blink.