Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

This is what OJ did one year. He held out all preseason and the offense was built around Bubba Braxton. OJ showed up and signed the day before the season opener. It was a disaster. He wasn't in shape, Jim was pizzed and it became a cluster.

Now, if I were a star player who wanted to stick it to the team, I'd show up to everything all off season long and have the scheme built all around me and my unique talents. Then, on the day of the season opener, I'd hold a pressed announcing my retirement from football. I'd let the GM call my agent.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it would be insane to let him walk out for nothing, especially since they decided to let Levitre walk out for nothing.

For all the Parker bashing, how certain are people that all fault is on his side and there isn't a bit of sour grapes fouling the air at OBD after the Peters fiasco?

I don't think most of us believe that all the fault is on Parker...that said, I doubt the Bills' side is driven by their previous dealings with him. I firmly believe it's way more about the value of the player being different --in their eyes--rom the money he wants.

If they didn't want him there why franchise him? Why state publicly you're working on a long-term deal? Of course they want him -- just not at the price Parker is asking.

Perhaps it's just me, but I think offering to sweeten the one-year deal by offering the same money you offered as a part of your long-term offer shows good faith and allows both parties to take some sort of "win" away from the process. The Bills get Byrd back for a full training camp, and Byrd gets a bit more $$.

I agree.

It's easy to be a negative Nancy about " not keeping our good talent" blah, but the League operates much differently than years ago when an 11th Rd pick took 3 years to see the field, then developed into an all-pro, ala House Ballard. My biggest burn about this is a team record that now may never be broken. I consider myself fortunate to have witnessed the career of Buffalo's best ever cornerback. He was a freak of nature then and would still be today. As huge as a linebacker who was all-pro as a cornerback. He could have been a fullback! 40 career interceptions as a Bill. Only a knee injury prevented that number from growing. This kid is the only Bill since who has a reasonable chance to top the team mark. I hope he stays here his entire career.

BTW, the record holder? George 'Butch' Byrd.

Because it would be insane to let him walk out for nothing, especially since they decided to let Levitre walk out for nothing.

For all the Parker bashing, how certain are people that all fault is on his side and there isn't a bit of sour grapes fouling the air at OBD after the Peters fiasco?

It has nothing to do with sour grapes, at least for me. I'm glad Peters is not on this team, and that Wood is.

But I didn't like how Parker handled that situation either, and if I had been the GM of the Bills, once Parker started playing from his little handbook, I would have made Peters come in EVERY year of his previously signed contract, I would have made him play for that contract no matter how out of shape he was and how crappy he played, and then I would have franchised his azzz every year I could have and THEN AND ONLY THEN, I would have extracted picks for him and booted his butt to the curb for those picks.

And if that's how Parker wants to play this one out, then I would do the same here as well. I would let Parker know exactly how things would be played from here on out should these circumstances arise again.

It has nothing to do with sour grapes, at least for me. I'm glad Peters is not on this team, and that Wood is.

But I didn't like how Parker handled that situation either, and if I had been the GM of the Bills, once Parker started playing from his little handbook, I would have made Peters come in EVERY year of his previously signed contract, I would have made him play for that contract no matter how out of shape he was and how crappy he played, and then I would have franchised his azzz every year I could have and THEN AND ONLY THEN, I would have extracted picks for him and booted his butt to the curb for those picks.

And if that's how Parker wants to play this one out, then I would do the same here as well. I would let Parker know exactly how things would be played from here on out should these circumstances arise again.

Then you would be doing so to the detriment of the Bills organization. It sounds exactly like "sour grapes."

I agree.

It's easy to be a negative Nancy about " not keeping our good talent" blah, but the League operates much differently than years ago when an 11th Rd pick took 3 years to see the field, then developed into an all-pro, ala House Ballard. My biggest burn about this is a team record that now may never be broken. I consider myself fortunate to have witnessed the career of Buffalo's best ever cornerback. He was a freak of nature then and would still be today. As huge as a linebacker who was all-pro as a cornerback. He could have been a fullback! 40 career interceptions as a Bill. Only a knee injury prevented that number from growing. This kid is the only Bill since who has a reasonable chance to top the team mark. I hope he stays here his entire career.

BTW, the record holder? George 'Butch' Byrd.

Loved Butch Byrd as well. But for my money, Robert James is the best CB the Bills ever had. Shut down all the best receivers other teams had to offer. Few INTs because other QBs didn't waste their time even looking in his direction. Best player not in the HOF as far as I'm concerned.

GO BILLS!!!

Could not do that with Peters because of how much it would have cost. And after the second franchise tag he gets to walk and the team is left with nothing.

i get what you are saying, I would for sure have Byrd play this year under the tag. Tell Parker you are considering strongly on tagging Byrd again next year. What is Byrd going to do, sit out till the 10th game? Dog it and not play hard? Those things hurt Byrd and Parker's bank account, so nope. Let Byrd play under the tag. IF he plays well and the teams does well he will be back.

If the new coaching regime turns around the culture Byrd stays.

Loved Butch Byrd as well. But for my money, Robert James is the best CB the Bills ever had. Shut down all the best receivers other teams had to offer. Few INTs because other QBs didn't waste their time even looking in his direction. Best player not in the HOF as far as I'm concerned.

GO BILLS!!!

'Bobby Jimmy' (we called him) was outstanding, to be sure and you're right, QBs didn't bother going there. In the short span between the two of them, though, QB play really stepped up. Mid to late AFL years, most QBs were around 50% completion or worse, when Butch prowled and helped his INT totals a lot. By the time James got here ('69) QB play was much better and the merger brought the NFL's best. Again, the tragic knee injury cut short a probable HOF career. We only got 5 years from him. Butch lasted longer, was a great PR as well. Rauch traded him to Denver before the '71 season.

GO BILLS!!!

Without question!

I don't buy any of that. These are businessmen, not 5th graders. I also don't understand the "walk out for nothing" comment. Levitre was paid for his services while he was here, and then signed with someone else when he became a free agent. He didn't owe the Bills anything and they didn't owe him anything.

You're taking all of this too personally. "It's not personal, it's business." -- Michael Corleone

Does anyone think that since people are aware of the Bills rep around the league for not being a great team and needing great players, they think they can demand top money from them and actually get it?

Would this happen if Byrd was on the Patriots or the 49ers?

Just saying…

CBF

Does anyone think that since people are aware of the Bills rep around the league for not being a great team and needing great players, they think they can demand top money from them and actually get it?

Would this happen if Byrd was on the Patriots or the 49ers?

Just saying…

CBF

the patriots never deal with holdouts like logan mankins.

Then you would be doing so to the detriment of the Bills organization. It sounds exactly like "sour grapes."

Ummmm, no. Sour grapes is when you are told you can't have something your way or something you wanted, and then you say, "Oh I didn't really want it that badly anyway, so I don't care."

This is more possibly, "cut off your nose to spite your face." That means you are acting to your detriment to prove your point or to exact some retribution. And sure, I have no problem with that because perhaps in the long run, it does have an overall positive effect because Mr. Parker then knows that when playing the Eugene Parker playbook against me, it isn't going to get him anywhere because I will act against my best interests to be sure it hurts him and his client as well.

Could not do that with Peters because of how much it would have cost. And after the second franchise tag he gets to walk and the team is left with nothing.

i get what you are saying, I would for sure have Byrd play this year under the tag. Tell Parker you are considering strongly on tagging Byrd again next year. What is Byrd going to do, sit out till the 10th game? Dog it and not play hard? Those things hurt Byrd and Parker's bank account, so nope. Let Byrd play under the tag. IF he plays well and the teams does well he will be back.

If the new coaching regime turns around the culture Byrd stays.

Well< I could have certainly made him play his THREE years he still had left on his contract, which was not a lot of money, and I could have made him play special teams for it!

Pretty good article.

Anytime you can get "both sides did things right, both sides did things wrong" in an article, I tend to like it (or at least believe it a little more).

This thread is so funny with the "I would never give him the deal he wants" or "The Bills are idiots for not giving him what he deserves" black or white opinions. Both of which ignore the big fact NO ONE KNOWS WHAT WAS ASKED FOR OR OFFERED!

I negotiate sponsorship deals with athletes and its not always the overall dollars that are the hang up - terms, bonuses, and a million other little details all play a part in coming to an agreement. Who knows why this one didn't work out, but I'm sure it's on BOTH sides, not just just greedy 'ol Parker, or cheap 'ol Ralph...

Anytime you can get "both sides did things right, both sides did things wrong" in an article, I tend to like it (or at least believe it a little more).

This thread is so funny with the "I would never give him the deal he wants" or "The Bills are idiots for not giving him what he deserves" black or white opinions. Both of which ignore the big fact NO ONE KNOWS WHAT WAS ASKED FOR OR OFFERED!

I negotiate sponsorship deals with athletes and its not always the overall dollars that are the hang up - terms, bonuses, and a million other little details all play a part in coming to an agreement. Who knows why this one didn't work out, but I'm sure it's on BOTH sides, not just just greedy 'ol Parker, or cheap 'ol Ralph...

cheers to that. and 5 years from now theres still potential we look back and byrd has a good season, gets a big deal next year and we all walk away remembering this as not the CATASTROPHE that some portray on both sides.

Edited by NoSaint