Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

Mark Kelso made a good point on the Murphy show, $6 million in WNY is like $8 million in San Diego. The Bills are rebuilding , I would trade him for a 1 st rd pick when he signs his franchise tag. If we had a chance for the playoffs in the next 2 years I would try to keep him. Whaley is sending a message to any player who hires Parker.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Kelso made a good point on the Murphy show, $6 million in WNY is like $8 million in San Diego. The Bills are rebuilding , I would trade him for a 1 st rd pick when he signs his franchise tag. If we had a chance for the playoffs in the next 2 years I would try to keep him. Whaley is sending a message to any player who hires Parker.

And how refreshing when Kelso said he used a local attorney as his agent to do HIS bidding, not the other way around. Instead of the parasitic vampire-like Parker who only cares about maximizing HIS income.

I just found these articles seemingly confirming the demand to be the highest paid safety:

http://nfl.si.com/20...-buffalo-bills/

http://www.buffaloru...ly-to-end-today[/url]

I have seen numbers as high as $9.87 Million a year for Polamalu. No freakin way the Bills should go for that!

Parker needs to have his head removed from his arse. The Bills need to play hardball on this one!

Very informative reads.

Thanks for posting.

Is Byrd a year round buffalo resident? Or does the 8m in buffalo comment miss that?

Just another example of a franchise that will never get it. The Bills will continue to serve as a farm club for winning franchises.

Good time for you to jump on another franchise and another team board!

Someone up thread hit the issue, the Bills need to have a plan for dealing with players before it gets to this point. Hopefully Doug Whaley will address this.

Sign potential backups before those contracts become due or in year they will be lost - it is the Steelers way.

I would say that Whaley needs to send a message to guys like Parker that he is not to be messed with. Parker thinks Byrd is the best safety in the league, no one else other than Byrd and Parker think that he is, so Whaley MUST stand his ground here, and play hard ball. I'm personally ok with that.

Agree completely on this. Agents have pushed Bills around in the past.

and he still has every reason to report before week 1... unless theres something terrible brewing we havent heard about (possible), it sounds pretty uneventful still.

Yes terrible advice from his agent trying to save face will result him holding out games. Preseason he could convince Byrd that he does not need to be there.

I frankly am at the point where I would like to see the Bills punish Parker, even if it is detrimental to the Bills. I say, let him sit out training camp and come in not in football shape and not prepared to play in Pettine's defense. Let him sit on the bench and harm his future value. No deals with agreement not to use the tag. No trades to other teams this year. Let him hold himself out into obscurity. And then tag him again next year.

Agree - new front office. new coaching staff, new attitude (NFL negotiated tags and Bills will pay players who want to play well but will not let their rights be taken away) and new record.

Right, because that worked the past four seasons.

Parker overplayed his hand. In retrospect, the Bills completely planned for this. Moving Williams to S, drafting two more...all along they were ready to move on if Byrd didn't want to accept a very reasonable bump north of $7M a season.

I think Mike Pettine saw him play last year as DC of Jets and told Marrone that Byrd is not as big impact on defense he was planning on implementing and that reason why he had so many impact plays was because the rest of the defense played poorly or Byrd was out of position. He thought Byrd had value but not as much as two decent veteran LBs.

Kelso's wrong I believe.

There are probably price indexes (indices?) for metropolitan areas as well as states but I can tell you that as high as CA taxes are, NYS taxes are higher. The state income tax is higher in NYS and the property taxes are multiple times higher.

While property tax rates fluctuate, the property taxes on a $90,000 house in Buffalo in 2002 were higher than the property taxes on a $550,000 house in San Jose, CA.

There are some things cheaper in Buffalo (property values) but on balance there's not a big difference in cost of living, IMO.

And certainly not a 33% difference like Kelso was portraying.

I think Mike Pettine saw him play last year as DC of Jets and told Marrone that Byrd is not as big impact on defense he was planning on implementing and that reason why he had so many impact plays was because the rest of the defense played poorly or Byrd was out of position. He thought Byrd had value but not as much as two decent veteran LBs.

I agree that this is a big part of the mix. Byrd has a swelled head (cultivated by Parker) and I see him as useless to the team with his newly blossomed prima donna attitude. The big problem will be getting decent trade value. I'd be happy with a single 2nd if we could get it.

Didn't Parker used to do something similar to this with Walter Jones every year? Did he have Jones sign the tag right before the season for like three years in a row?

That sounds right and I'm surprised a future Hall of Famer would allow himself to be treated that way.

If I recall, he did eventually sign a multi-year deal with the Seahawks but 3 consecutive years of franchise tenders sounds about right.

There are probably price indexes (indices?) .....

Both are legitimate plurals for index.

(I only responded because I have always wanted to use the plural of the word plural in a conversation :blush: .)

That sounds right and I'm surprised a future Hall of Famer would allow himself to be treated that way.

If I recall, he did eventually sign a multi-year deal with the Seahawks but 3 consecutive years of franchise tenders sounds about right.

Well, I guess that worked out in the end, so there's still hope here. I really am a big Byrd fan.

Albert Breer said on NFLN that Byrd still may report to camp ("he hasn't made up his mind"), so there's that. Also said that Byrd wanted to be the highest paid safety and that he wanted Weddle money and Bills weren't willing to go that far.

Then they thew to Sapp who rolled his eyes and said Byrd is crazy if he thinks he should be the highest paid safety in the league. He said that Byrd should sign his tender, get in and go to work. And added that when the team that drafted you, that has seen you play all your career, doesn't think you;re the best safety in the league, you need to look at yourself...

Wow, Sapp said something that makes sense? Crazy...

not entirely sure who's sending a message here. .... back to being skeptical again.

jw

jw, I just sent the following question to Chris Brown for his "Fan Friday" column and we'll see if I get a response, but I wonder what you believe:

------------

I have a question about the management structure in the front office. Over the past three years Buddy Nix made no bones about the fact he did not negotiate contracts -- that was the exclusive bailiwick of Jim Overdorf, who presumably got his marching orders from Mr. Wilson.

With Russ Brandon taking over as President and Doug Whaley assuming GM duties, is this still the mode of operation? Does Doug as GM have any authority to say "I want this guy" to get a deal done, or is he beholden to the number Overdorf (who reports to Brandon) says is the Bills' top dollar? Does Overdorf have any obligation to take the sides' respective "final positions" to (preferably) Whaley or (probably) Brandon for a final decision?

Personally, I like the stance Buffalo took with respect to the Byrd situation, but I'm curious as to who has the final say in contract negotiations.

Appreciate any insight you can provide.

------------

I understand that these guys want their money but why is it that every time we won't to sign someone they all of a sudden want to be the highest paid player at their position? Byrd, Mario, I'm sure Levitre thinks the same. All of these guys are great but how about some humility? They talk all this hype about being about the team and winning for the city of Buffalo but they obviously don't mean it. I know some of you will jump all over me for saying something so obvious but is this going to be a trend every time we want to resign a borderline probowler? Ala Eric Wood? CJ Spiller in a few years?

I understand that these guys want their money but why is it that every time we won't to sign someone they all of a sudden want to be the highest paid player at their position? Byrd, Mario, I'm sure Levitre thinks the same. All of these guys are great but how about some humility? They talk all this hype about being about the team and winning for the city of Buffalo but they obviously don't mean it.

For as crappy a team we are, we seem to have the best player at every position. It's amazing!!

frankly, I think a guy like Byrd loses credibility during negotiations by suggesting he's the best (just like the bills would lose cred trying to low ball him). they need to agree on a reasonable bracket (for example, top 5-10 safeties), and end up at a number in that bracket.

I understand that these guys want their money but why is it that every time we won't to sign someone they all of a sudden want to be the highest paid player at their position? Byrd, Mario, I'm sure Levitre thinks the same. All of these guys are great but how about some humility? They talk all this hype about being about the team and winning for the city of Buffalo but they obviously don't mean it. I know some of you will jump all over me for saying something so obvious but is this going to be a trend every time we want to resign a borderline probowler? Ala Eric Wood? CJ Spiller in a few years?

They learn that in cliché class (one of the few mandatory classes for college athletes). It's never about the fans, or the city, or the team. This is a business to the owners and to the players. The players have a short career and in the case of football are putting their future quality of life on the line, so maximizing their earnings while they can is the only smart thing to do.

50 years ago things might have been different as players (and owners) were not making the stupid money they do now. But now it's "show me the money".

Edited by CodeMonkey