Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

I know there's nothing going on other than this being in the news, but really? Byrd will play for us this season regardless. He'll get a big raise even if it is one year. Kinda better for us in a way if he plays under the franchise tag. It means he'll be playing hard for another contract the following season if we don't get it ironed out. Don't see the big deal here...

i think the big deal comes from considering the possibility of byrd eventually leaving this organization for no compensation. it seems that most people would love to have byrd here long term although for varying amounts of money, but i haven't seen many people of the opinion that it is fine for him to play for another year and then walk to the highest bidder.

another factor in this is that many were under the impression that letting levitre walk away, even for the disgusting deal he got, was a sign that byrd was about to be paid and locked up long term.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any team can still sign him to an offer sheet. Bills would get a 1st and a 3rd if they didn't match. So he is probably worth a 1st and a 3rd in trade. If I were the Bills and he doesn't sign and holds out until November, I'd franchise tag him every year for the rest of his career.

Any team can still sign him to an offer sheet. Bills would get a 1st and a 3rd if they didn't match. So he is probably worth a 1st and a 3rd in trade. If I were the Bills and he doesn't sign and holds out until November, I'd franchise tag him every year for the rest of his career.

Yea baby! This one

Parker is hoping to hold out a signing for this year for the start of training camp against a promise not to tag BYRD next year. Clements got that deal when he got out of town, I think. If I were the Bills, I would not fall for that ploy......and Byrd shows up in early November. Then, I would tag him again.....if they haven't tagged Spiller or Wood by then.....Anyhow, no more Mister nice guy....play the teams position to the max because Parker will be playing Byrd's to the max.

The way he gets Byrd free of his attachment to The Bills is to hold out this year and "force" the team to let him sign his tender with the stipulation that he's a FA at the end of this year. Personally, I don't think Whaley will do that, because at that point, it comes down to "!@#$ me? !@#$ me. !@#$ YOU, you motha !@#$ er!" Which is how I think Whaley will handle it. Take it or leave it kid, and we'll be doing the same thing next year too.

Nice one. Go for it Doug. Bring in Nanker on your advisory team.

Due to agent, who has had in past refused to negotiate for other players who were represented by agent, it becomes more difficult but I agree the attitude should be 'NFLPA agreed to franchise tag, if you do not like it blame them.' and tag him repeatedly, fine him whenever possible and put him through everything they can when he signs contract at end of year including putting him through 'conditioning tests' as other teams have done and not starting him. If players do not like this they should be blaming NFLPA not teams.

Alas according to present NFL rules you can only Franchise Tag a player twice. So we may have to let him go in 2015 ! And he will have to play well in those years to justify a big contract in 2015. Looks like the Bills are holding all the aces in this game. Still $6.9m ain't too bad as a consolation prize. (less taxes and your agents fee of course).

Yea baby! This one

Good idea but, I believe you can only Franchise 2 consective years. Still, it is what the Ravens threatened Ray Rice with last year to get a deal done. But not sure with this agent.....

I know it doesn't happen much and is much more difficult to find a match between teams, but I would love to see the Bills get a player in a trade vs draft pick(s)

Edited by stevewin

Byrd hired Eugene Parker for a reason. He didn't hire Parker to 'get a deal done', he hired this specific agent to become the highest paid player at his position.

Unfortunately, Byrd doesn't have very many cards other than the one Parker is trumpeting that he was 'underpaid'. If the Bills franchise him for the next two years, they get two years at a rate lower than what Byrd wants and can work towards replacing him. As Parker so helpfully notes every time he opens his mouth, Byrd was 'underpaid' and while that annual salary is nice, he will be fined for missing camp and then not get paid until week 10. That's a lot of money to give up over the next two years to risk injury and a down season to get to Parker's "megadeal'.

The Bills got a First Rounder # 28 (Philly had 2 #1s that year), a 4th Rounder (#121 overall) the following year, and a low pick in 2010 for Jason Peters.

No surprise that Parker found no team would pony up the 2 #1 picks for Byrd this year when he shopped his services around the League. But he does know what other teams would pay Byrd, and pay FOR Byrd. If he can get Byrd free of any Bills attachment, then he can get more $ for his player. No team is going to give up multiple draft picks for a FS and then give him the highest contract for a DB. LT - well, it happened, but FS... I don't think so.

The way he gets Byrd free of his attachment to The Bills is to hold out this year and "force" the team to let him sign his tender with the stipulation that he's a FA at the end of this year. Personally, I don't think Whaley will do that, because at that point, it comes down to "!@#$ me? !@#$ me. !@#$ YOU, you motha !@#$ er!" Which is how I think Whaley will handle it. Take it or leave it kid, and we'll be doing the same thing next year too.

I hope Whaley does handle it this way. Parker and Byrd have zero leverage. Stop acting like they do. Play or don't. You lose money now and maybe in the long run.

Make some of these agents realize they do not have the ultimate power the teams do. If FA is any indication teams are working with or watching more closely what other teams are doing.

Byrd hired Eugene Parker for a reason. He didn't hire Parker to 'get a deal done', he hired this specific agent to become the highest paid player at his position.

Unfortunately, Byrd doesn't have very many cards other than the one Parker is trumpeting that he was 'underpaid'. If the Bills franchise him for the next two years, they get two years at a rate lower than what Byrd wants and can work towards replacing him. As Parker so helpfully notes every time he opens his mouth, Byrd was 'underpaid' and while that annual salary is nice, he will be fined for missing camp and then not get paid until week 10. That's a lot of money to give up over the next two years to risk injury and a down season to get to Parker's "megadeal'.

Peters had fewer cards in 2009 than Byrd does now and Parker still got him paid.

Until we know what the Byrd camp is demanding, it's hard to say one way or another who is completely out of line. But if it's 8M per and the Bills are balking, it's further indication that while faces have changed at OBD, the end result is still that the Bills won't re-sign their own elite talent.

Jason Peters supposedly did not have leverage but was able to get new contact. It all depends on how hard Bills front office is going to defend their rights in contract players' representatives negotiated.

Parker and Byrd have zero leverage. Stop acting like they do. Play or don't. You lose money now and maybe in the long run.

I'm sure it's been posted but, Byrd is basically screwed when it comes to trying to force a deal on his worth. These are the options:

1) They come to an agreement to a long term contract this year.

2) Byrd plays this year, at his franchise tag price, in a new system where he might not fit as well as he has in past systems, and we lock him up long term next year.

3) Byrd doesn't play, holds out and still collects his franchise tag money. He is either signed long term, re-franchised, or traded at the end of the season

4) Some team gives up 2 first round draft picks and a player for Byrd

No safety is worth 2 first round picks and a player. That's Franchise Elite QB ransom.

I know there's nothing going on other than this being in the news, but really? Byrd will play for us this season regardless. He'll get a big raise even if it is one year. Kinda better for us in a way if he plays under the franchise tag. It means he'll be playing hard for another contract the following season if we don't get it ironed out. Don't see the big deal here...

our fanbase is terribly unused to having the problem of talented players... we are so accustomed to the opposite that a lot seem to be completely befuddled by having a guy worth tagging and that several play under franchise tags annually.