Please edit Topic Title

The NFL's grand poo bah Roger Goodell is planning to add yet another game to the London series & according to the article on ESPN they are talking of eventually putting a team in London .

With our own Bills losing 1 game a year to Toronto this game being taken away from the home town fans how do you all feel about the possibility of not only 1 game a year to not see our team at least on American soil but now maybe 2 .

I think the NFL has a really good thing going & if it gets to big & you get some stupid european names for teams as they had in NFL europe that we may get sick of a watered down NFL .

Why didn't they just keep NFL Europe if American football is so big over there ? Because there is only one Chicago Bears team , & there is only one Pittsburgh Steeler team thats what the want to see i get it .

I for one think to many expansion teams especially out side the states will make for a less attractive product to what the NFL has built & it is mainly greed driven .

Europe has their football & America has there's lets leave well enough alone cause to much of a good thing can sometimes be just TOO MUCH !!

What say you ???

Edited by T master

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive subject lines. The topic starter can edit the subject line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

The NFL's grand poo bah Roger Goodell is planning to add yet another game to the London series & according to the article on ESPN they are talking of eventually putting a team in London .

With our own Bills losing 1 game a year to Toronto this game being taken away from the home town fans how do you all feel about the possibility of not only 1 game a year to not see our team at least on American soil but now maybe 2 .

I think the NFL has a really good thing going & if it gets to big & you get some stupid european names for teams as they had in NFL europe that we may get sick of a watered down NFL .

Why didn't they just keep NFL Europe if American football is so big over there ? Because there is only one Chicago Bears team , & there is only one Pittsburgh Steeler team thats what the want to see i get it .

I for one think to many expansion teams especially out side the states will make for a less attractive product to what the NFL has built & it is mainly greed driven .

Europe has their football & America has there's lets leave well enough alone cause to much of a good thing can sometimes be just TOO MUCH !!

What say you ???

With one home game already in a foreign country we would be the last team to lose another home game to a foreign country. Unless of course you consider San Diego to be part of Mexico.

What say you ???

The NFL always appreciates constructive feedback from our fans. We know you are as excited as we are about the prospect of bringing the NFL to a wider audience.

And on a personal note, I appreciate the use of my proper title.

Edited by Roger Goodell

With one home game already in a foreign country we would be the last team to lose another home game to a foreign country. Unless of course you consider San Diego to be part of Mexico.

Yup. We won't lose two unless we asked for it.

Miami is essential part of Cuba and we lost the war to Mexico and were punished w/Texas - we should give it back now.

The NFL always appreciates constructive feedback from our fans. We know you are as excited as we are about the prospect of bringing the NFL to a wider audience.

And on a personal note, I appreciate the use of my proper title.

I Always love it when you drop in Rog. Almost anti-Crayonz-esque. In Europe will they call it soccer?

This has been on the back-burner for a couple of years now. I remember reading speculation that you could see as many as 4 current NFL teams splitting their seasons between countries. At the time, speculation was that the Bucs owners, Malcolm Glazer, already owning an even more valuable asset in the Manchester United, would be the first to go...they could eventually play as many as 4 games (first two-last two, or maybe first 4 games of the season or last 4 games of the season) in London...eventually 3 other teams would join them as US-Euro franchises, to make up a Euro division....of course, at that time, the Bills, as I recall, were mentioned as a Buffalo-Liverpool team. Love the Beatles and all, but this would make me sad...it seems the plan is to eventually have a brand new franchise in Toronto, not a current team moving there.

What say you ???

I like it. Hopefully over time they can develop a European League and then the American Champ can play the European Champ for the World Bowl. The key is that Europe needs to develop their own players or it will become to diluted if it's just Americans.

What say you ???

I believe that when Ralph passes at least one of the bidders in the open auction for the franchise will intend to move the team to London. Along with bidders intending to move the team to both Toronto and to Los Angeles. Believe it. The train is coming.

I believe that when Ralph passes at least one of the bidders in the open auction for the franchise will intend to move the team to London. Along with bidders intending to move the team to both Toronto and to Los Angeles. Believe it. The train is coming.

Take off the tinfoil hat -- it's messing with your brainwaves.

This is all about television rights. NFL Europe failed due to no local tv stations being interested in paying for the broadcast rights. No broadcasts = no NFL.

The UK have been selling out Wembley easy every game plus they resulted in multiple television deals (SKY and BBC) and a broader audience and broader interest. This is what folding NFL Europe and moving to the London game was about and is about. Grow the UK market, and if succesfull expand a team into London. This is a 10 year plan. After London they'll repeat the tactic with Germany.

Bills are exempt because of the Toronto game, stop spreading panic. Besides the Bills are internationally a bad product; no-one cares for a loosing team. So the Bills are commercially not viable for the London game. That said the Bills could end up there on an away game next year if the team performs this year. That'd be the away game of the year imho, so much nicer to visit Europe then say Greenbay. It's only a 6 hour flight from New York, maybe even less.

Now you are being down right insulting. Redskins isnt a stupid name? Bills is not a stupid name? Patriots*... How lame can you get... Dolphins?? Etc, etc. Ow you think they arent stupid because they represent a local relation or simply because you are accustomed to them? So did the Nfl Europe teams. London Monarchs for their monarchy, Scottish Claymores for their historical sword, Amsterdam Admirals for conquering the world in the golden age, etc, etc. The naming of NFL Europe was on par with the naming of the NFL.

Who says it's about expansion, it might be about replacing an existing NFL team. Even if it's about expansion, then there is enough talent available to fill another NFL team. They don't want to degrade the product, they want to expand it and thus grow commercially.

Pure commerce, they werent getting revenue from selling TV rights due to lack of interest. Fan base wasn't the issue. I assume you think the Houston Texans need to be dismantled as well? The NFL pulling the plug hurt, it hurt like hell, it would be like you would loose the NFL and have Japan left as alternative.

They won't expand without having faith in the talent pool, degrading the product will cost them money.

America has their baseball, basketball and icehockey. What do you say, shall we just ask Gooddell to fold the NFL?

Edited by bladiebla

The NFL tried to get a league going in Europe and it was a dismal failure.

The NFL games that get played in Europe are more a novelty for Europeans.

I was living outside London some years ago when there was a game and it was pretty entertaining. Generally for media day here all the interest is in QBs, RB's WR's etc. Over there all the media wanted to talk to was the huge lineman. They aren't used to athletes there that are so huge and in a lot of cases, with big guts.

I understand the NFL wanting to expand it's market. They are going to need to in order to keep the profits and salaries skyrocketing. But tackle football becoming popular anywhere but North America is a big stretch in my opinion.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The NFL tried to get a league going in Europe and it was a dismal failure.

No it wasn't. It was rather succesfull, it was the most visited sport behind soccer in the countries it was played which is huge. From a farming perspective it was a success too, it delivered pro-bowlers, front office staff, refs and coaches to the NFL.

Where it failed was commerce, TV stations didnt want to pay the NFL for broadcast rights. Simple as that.

It had limited success in getting American Football played more, allthough near the end there was a pretty large coming of flag football (in the Netherlands that is, don't know about Germany).

The NFL games that get played in Europe are more a novelty for Europeans.

To some extend maybe, but not for more then 10% of the attendance. Most of the attendance exists of former NFL Europe fans and regular EU based NFL fans that would rather see their own team but settle for the closest thing.