Federal Charges against the men who recorded Buddy Nix

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A brief excerpt from the article:

...Barber, No. 42, played four games as an offensive and defensive lineman in the 2008-09 football season but was not a standout player, according to an official at the school. “I don’t recall him,” varsity football coach Scott Fry told The Buffalo News. “He may have played.”

That line about "seeking a tryout" was clearly a "throw it against the wall and see if it'll stick" Hail Mary coming from his (or his buddy's) attorney.

So's the intent by Kaiser to enter the Coast Guard, as criminal charges (filed or pending) would disqualify him from joining. And we wouldn't want this fine young man to be barred from serving his county, would we....

Edited by Lurker

If they are not going to be punished legally then they should be punished in some other way like needing to spend time cleaning up garbage every weekend for a year with Miami Jerseys with names "Idiot" #1 and "Idiot" #2. This will ensure some "dumb young guys" do not try same stunt again for 15 minutes of fame.

we were all 20 years old once, and we all know we did stupid stuff because in a way we were to undeveloped to think through the consequences. I am not saying these guys should get a smack on the hand, but should the penalty destroy the lives of these two nit-wits forever? Scare the wits out of them, put them on probabtion for 20 years, and make them pay their penalty through community service.... to me its about intent, their intent was being idiots panksters- I hope that is taken into consideration.

Murph just said on his show that these two guys are from Massachusetts. Hmmm, did Belichick put these guys up to this to find another means to embarrass the Bills?

. Nah. He's guaranteed two opportunities to do that every year!

• 5 months later...

Government to dismiss charges in NFL phone prank

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NFL_PHONE_PRANK?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) -- Federal prosecutors have agreed to dismiss charges against two men who initiated and recorded a telephone call between two NFL general managers this year and then sold the recording to a website. In return for the dismissal, Joshua Barber and Nicholas Kaiser must abide by certain conditions for 18 months, U.S. Attorney William Hochul said Wednesday.

Government to dismiss charges in NFL phone prank

http://hosted.ap.org...EMPLATE=DEFAULT

The Deal:

The two men have to voluntarily watch reruns of Bills games each Sunday at 1:00 PM for the next eighteen months and have the entire library of Buddy Nix's Podcasts loaded into their smart phones. The judge ordered electronic surveillance software installed on their devices to make certain the two complied with her order that they listen for two hours a day to those Podcasts.

No word yet if they plan to appeal on grounds of protection under the Constitution's 8th Amendment prohibiting the use of cruel and unusual punishment.

The two men have to voluntarily watch reruns of Bills games each Sunday at 1:00 PM for the next eighteen months and have the entire library of Buddy Nix's Podcasts loaded into their smart phones.

How do you put teletype on a smart phone?

I doubt they're found guilty of anything, though.

Effectively, it's a wiretap without a court order? Hmmmmmm.......

Hey, but they not only walked, but made 200 bucks!

What a stupid waste of taxpayer money. How did this even get this far?

Of course, everything is a 'waste of taxpayer money' unless we box it up by the billions, and hand it over to Corporations with a big bow on top of the box....

Edited by NASCAR Hater

I'm fine with a 18 months slap on the wrist. This is one of those situations where illegal, yes, but I think they intended it to just be a funny prank and they weren't really thinking. I doubt they'll do it again, and that's what it's all about. Not about punishment, but about rehabilitation and learning from mistakes.

civil suit ?

that call probably cost buddy his job.

Nix was already on his way out. He indicated as much multiple times, iirc.

But the intent was a stupid prank. Glad this case was thrown out. Use the courts to bring justice to real criminals.

stupid pranks can cause a lot of damage. that said, these guys probably spent a fortune on legal fees and still sound like they have some punishment coming. for what they did, they probably paid a pretty steep price even without court and jail. im ok with this being a hard lesson learned for them, but not one that totally destroyed their lives with a prison sentence.

Edited by NoSaint

The Feds do not lose? Really. Go ask Roger Clemens and Barry bonds. The Feds are a joke

I'm not laughing. If I'm not laughing, is it still a joke?

Clemens and Bonds could afford the best in legal defense to outride/outwait the Feds.

For ordinary joes, the Feds have a great success rate because defendants fear bankruptcy from huge legal bills, so people plea even if they have a defensible case.