The 20 Types of Depressed Sports Fans

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I go through every one of these during every single Bills game. Also, I have learned the laugh-when-everything-falls-apart method, which should feel good, but makes me want to jump off a bridge. At that point, I turn to the ol' reliable oh-it's-just-a-game routine, which works decently until I turn on the 4 o'clock game and realize how cool it is to watch good teams make plays. And it all starts anew.

I qualify as a #9, a #10 (incongruously given that I'm a #9), and definitely a #17. But most of all, I'm a #9, and yes, my family members hate watching games with me.

I have played the role of a #12 before (watching postseason games with Phillies fans).

Also, the author of the piece is absolutely correct: there's no one worse than a #14.

#9 is a common type among Bills fans.

#9 is so common with Bills fans because it's so easy to see the meltdowns coming. I mean seriously, did anybody really think they were getting out of Foxboro with a W in the Leodis fumble game?

#9 is so common with Bills fans because it's so easy to see the meltdowns coming. I mean seriously, did anybody really think they were getting out of Foxboro with a W in the Leodis fumble game?

Or even the Cowboy MNF game. THAT took other-worldly intervention with a 9 point lead and a minute to play. But ALL of us feared it and -Dammit!- the Demi-Gods delivered...

@Marauderswr80: Me too..

It's funny you say this. My dog has been "conditioned" to think whenever I utter the F word that I am furious about something. She cowers to her chair (AKA, my recliner) and I have to comfort her and tell her Daddy's not mad. I blame it on the Bills and the Mets.

I am with you with the Bills & Mets. Mets I started rooting for in 1983 when I was 10 years old & the Bills 1986(Kelly's first year). 30 years as a Mets fan & 27 years as a Bills fan & one friggin championship to show for it. I would not even know how to act if one of these teams were a team that won multiple championships. I actually think in some sick distorted way it would take the fun out of being a fan & become boring. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

Funny you mention that. I was at a bar watching that game. Huge crowd, bar is going nuts. I kept saying to anybody that would listen "ah their going to f*ck it up somehow." People were actually getting pissed at me. The worst part is I started believing they would actually win this game for the 1st time all night just right before Mckelvin fumbled. I was with about 8 guys & my wife was with me also. When they lost we all walked out of the bar not saying a word to each other. My wife said, "aren't you going to at least say goodbye to your friends?" I looked at her & in a tone only a disgusted broken heart Bills fan could say "F*ck them." & got in the car.

vintage 2 here and I also dispute 11. Knowledgable fans can still express disbelief in a play by asking what are you doing?

There are definitely times I wondered aloud what fitz was doing like when he threw a second interception to Corey Webster v giants in a one score game with that deep left sideline underthrow. We saw him not make that throw for consecutive weeks and once earlier that game.

Seriously WTF was he doing?

I am primarily a 2 and a 4. I am continually chastised by my wife for shouting F¥€K!

I use to have a pair of lucky Bills socks. My nephew gave them to me in the 1980s, awesome red, white and blue tube socks with Bills Logo.

I can throw in some 6, for example "why would you not go for two? I don't care if there is ten minutes left" or " why would you punt from the 32 indoors?"

I am a 17 and readily admit it. I only like to watch Bills games with other Bills fans, four max. I prefer that they are related to me. I hate watching with friends that are fans of other teams. I have a good friend that is a Jet fan. He always wants to watch Bills Jet games with me. I f¥€king hate it!

#2, 12, and 18. I say 12 because the best place to watch Bills games (or any football games, whatsoever) in my town also happens to be a Steelers bar. I hate the Steelers. And it's worse, cause one of my friends is a Steelers fan, and we normally hang out there during games. So definitely a #12. #2 and #18 alternate, depending on where I am and who I'm with.

I think it all depends on how deep into the season it is. From starting at the beginning of the season, i'm a 2 and a variation of 3 (usually a soft "nonononono" to myself while a big play is happening).

As it goes it wears on, i become a 10 and an 11. When hope hops on the train leading out of town, i'll become a 16 and a 6.

Long after the train has gone out of sight but you're still sitting there waving is where i turn into an 18.

At the end of it all, i might tear up a little, become a 6 for a minute while i think how or why i thought this year was different or i became such an involved fan.

I'm always a 4 though; i have a lucky ball that can never touch the ground during the game unless you want apocalyptic things to happen.

Mostly #4. Same seat, same beer, same clothes(jersey) every sunday (along with the in-game superstitious activities)

Other than that, 9, 10 and 16 (and like others, TV gets turned back on within a few minutes)

Mostly #4. Same seat, same beer, same clothes(jersey) every sunday (along with the in-game superstitious activities)

Other than that, 9, 10 and 16 (and like others, TV gets turned back on within a few minutes)

Since we've sucked for a decade can you please change something?