4 Wide

With some of the deep bombs we've seen from Manuel and Kolb, that seems a lot more likely this year. Of course, you need to get the timing down, but there's no solution for that other than to practice, practice, practice.

Yup, all three of our QBs can air it out better than Fitz, so I'm not worried about physical talent in that area. Hopefully completions are there as well. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually a spread with a tight end (K-Gun anyone?) would be real nice.

Because of Gragg's size and speed they could still force teams into dime packages and then run the ball with the tight end in there.

The video I saw of Gragg showed (besides being blazingly fast) that while he's not an extra offensive tackle, he's more than a match for linebackers and defensive backs as a run blocker.

It's gonna be nice to have a tight end who can run like a wide receiver but block in the run game much more effectively than a wide receiver.

This ^. I'm thinking less a traditional 4 WR set, but still plenty of spread formations with use of Gragg, Goodwin, ect... The idea is there will be plenty of speed on the field with CJ in the backfield. Certainly on paper it looks like we could make for some serious mismatches.

My one concern is O-line. We really don't have any good blocking TE's (While Gragg might be capable of blocking, the consensus is that is a secondary skill for him at best), no longer have a FB, no longer have Levitre, and have what I consider to be a big hole at RT as well (Hopefully Zebrie Sanders fits in somewhere). That's IF those guys stay healthy (none of our starters have been able to make it through a full year it seems). Whoever our QB is will have to be quick with their reads and releases in this offense.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I'm not 100% convinced that EJ can hit (not throw) the long ball better than Fitz. When I see it, I'll believe. I'm pullin' for the kid. I know Kolb can though, but can he stay on the field?

Should be fun.

It's a good thing we have two-three other QBs vying for the job too, then, isn't it?

I'm not 100% convinced that EJ can hit (not throw) the long ball better than Fitz. When I see it, I'll believe. I'm pullin' for the kid. I know Kolb can though, but can he stay on the field?

Should be fun.

I'm not 100% convinced yet either. Just 99.9% convinced. He hasn't done it in the nfl is the .1. Ej doesn't throw a bad deep ball. Is it one of the best in the nfl? Dunno yet, but its better than fitz's. it's hard to be worse.

Staying on subject, I think 4 wide will be employed a good amount in Marrone offense. Like everyone else has said, teams have to be accountable for our speed, Cj and Fred will reap the benefits. Now we just have to hope our OL can open some holes. LG scares the crap out of me right now. I pray we can sign Moore.....or someone else. Sam young or any other guy we have scares me. I'd love to try Hairston or zebrie (or even pears) at LG. I think zebrie will be wasted as a 4th tackle with Hairston getting all the reps backing up both sides.

Edited by NewEra

Should be fun.

I've agreed with you on my things QB/WR related, but not this. While I think Fitz is vastly over hated along the lines of Chris Kelsay, he is nearly incapable of delivering an accurate strike deep down field...Even if EJ ends up being a complete bust, I have no doubt he can surpass Fitz in this particular category.

Actually I don't doubt EJ's ability to throw at all, he has it...The problem is can he do all the other things that are actually more important IMO, such as reading defenses, making good decisions, and being aware in the pocket. I give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I think it's fortunate for him to come into a new system, with a new coach who has already proved himself capable of grooming a QB.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I miss Fitz already!!! :flirt:

IMO this year will be difficult since there are so many new YOUNG faces. We need to see some nice improvement as the year goes on and hopefully the year after we see smell some playoff action with a mix of youth and wiley vets!

I would love to see all of this, but I think removing Stevie from the field for anything is absolutely ridiculous. In any way shape or form. I would never in a million years remove Stevie from the field for anyone else on this team. He has the ability to get open every single play, short yardage especially. So if your talking about Woods, Rogers, and CJ running short, then I'd rather have SJ in there than one of the unproven rookies.

Yeah, I have to agree, Stevie is the one proven commodity in this group. It would make no sense to not have out there.

I'd really love to see the Bills employ the four-wide/1RB set with this personnel Buddy and co have provided, on a regular basis. Just thinking about the great mix of size, speed, and athleticism this line up possesses has me feeling giddy.

Chan is shaking his head, looking down at his shoes....

The defense should be exciting as well! If they can get Mario off the field on passing downs and get Justin Rogers out there the speed will be ridiculous.

??? Why would you take Mario Williams off the field on passing downs? I know that he makes more $ than many think he is worth, but he is still one of the best pass rushers in this league.

??? Why would you take Mario Williams off the field on passing downs? I know that he makes more $ than many think he is worth, but he is still one of the best pass rushers in this league.

If we took Mario Williams AND Stephon Gilmore out at the same time, it would really confuse the defense.

You have to admit that.

And confusing the opponent is a key to victory.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

If we took Mario Williams AND Stephon Gilmore out at the same time, it would really confuse the defense.

You have to admit that.

And confusing the opponent is a key to victory.

Ya our D would b like WTF are the coaches thinking, while the other teams scores!

Unless you mean O, but i still think you hurt your team by taking 2 of the top3 D players on the team!

I say bad idea man!

If I were SJ I would be looking over my shoulder (no pun intended). Granted he did have over 1K last season but was unimpressive in key areas- example coming back on underthrown passes, positioning for the ball when in close with the defender as well as weak defending against an interception.

The new staff are not beholden to him. Woods and Day Rick Rogers both have no. 1 potential.

the k gun. rookie TE , dorin dickerson etc

this year we have alot of options. And i agree that the playbook is much bigger than Chan could employ because all of a sudden we have the players able to potentialy execute the whole shebang that Nate can throw at them. And maybe thats why Nate is so excited most of the time . QB issue with long ball is behind us i think. Even with all those bullets flying at Kolb . Long live the deep threat !!

By the way folks Stevie mentioned that is was nice that he now has receivers almost as fast as he on the field.

thats funny for two reasons. The other is he's isnt practicing 7 on 7's. Kids got a sense of humor. even though he runs basketball moves off the line he stills gets to the spot. Those hands though :bag: ; )

It was sarcasm.