Tight End issue resolved??? Brandon Kaufman....

JTO

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Color me intrigued...

Stevie and two other true WR's... That would take up the top two CB's, and at least 1 safety. The third WR gets the 3rd d-back. What do you do with this guy and a LB? 4.8 is not flashy but most LB's are not as fluid as necessary to keep up with this. Let me day dream on this.

He could be a James Hardy, too.

To be James Hardy we would have to expect something from him. Hardy was a 2nd round pick out of Indiana and anyone with a lick of sense knew he was a flash in the pan.

It is too bad he will not be here next week because of his school obligations. He needs all the work he can get and it would be nice to see him work with veteran D backs. I think he has a very good chance to stick as a role player/red zone guy to start his career. I do think the Nelson comparisons are valid he looks like he is bigger in the upper body than Nelson. It also helps that he saves the Bills a good bit of cap space as a UDFA vrs. a Veteran, and of course Nelson had a serious injury to rehab.

Does anyone think he can beat out Da'Rick? Then we would have Stevie, Brad Smith, a 2nd year player , and 3 rookies. Or does Brad Smith get cut? Then we would have Stevie, Graham, and 4 Rookies (including Da'Rick).

Tough call right now. Maybe they he could take one of the TE's roster spot, but it would be hard to start the season with only 2 true tight ends.

Great link. He owned Trufant. He has the size we need at WR, and seems to have Larry Fitzgerald type hands where he catches anything within his reach. He should make the team. I'm thinking our WR's are: SJ, Woods, Rogers, Goodwin, Graham, Kaufman. Easley on Practise squad. Imagine lining 5 of those guys up 5 wide, Spiller or Freddie in the backfield, and having to account for Chandler as well.

Can Easley go to the practice squad?

He could be a David Nelson with speed.

He was catching everything in the rookie practice highlights.. Pretty amazing for a 6'5" guy to have sub 4.6 speed..

I do think the Nelson comparisons are valid he looks like he is bigger in the upper body than Nelson. It also helps that he saves the Bills a good bit of cap space as a UDFA vrs. a Veteran, and of course Nelson had a serious injury to rehab.

Actually I think David Nelson's measurables were better than Kauffman's.

Why do we need Brad Smith? Hard to really justify him as a veteran presence for the young WR's. He played QB in college and is learning the position as much or more than the rookies. He doesn't have the speed of Graham, Rogers or Goodwin. He doesn't have the route running of Stevie or Woods. There are many others that can return punts or catch kick-offs.

I just don't see him making the team unless they keep 6 WR's.

Great highlight reel. So many great catches in traffic. Talk about a WR who's open when he's not open. Kaufman seemed to be covered every time, sometimes by 2 guys and he comes down with the ball on a regular basis. There were some phenomenal receptions on the tape.

Based on that tape Kaufman may have a better chance than Rogers to stick on the 53. Certainly an intriguing weapon for Hackett to use in situations. Must admit would prefer a WR who can get open than one than cant but clearly he has a special talent. I suspect he could be used out of the TE slot in certain situations.

Don't you hate that Red turf !

Why do we need Brad Smith? Hard to really justify him as a veteran presence for the young WR's. He played QB in college and is learning the position as much or more than the rookies. He doesn't have the speed of Graham, Rogers or Goodwin. He doesn't have the route running of Stevie or Woods. There are many others that can return punts or catch kick-offs.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him cut, but his advantage at this point is he has shown the ability to make catches and make plays in this league, even if it hasn't been frequent enough to justify his contract. Right now you're seeing rookies going up against rookies. We'll see how things develop as they move into full-team practices and preseason games. Guys just out of college can have all the measurables, but sometimes it just doesn't come together on the field. It's very unlikely that all the rookies will develop and reach the potential we see in them right now.

Kaufman seemed to be covered every time, sometimes by 2 guys and he comes down with the ball on a regular basis.

What's that say about his route running, burst and/or his ability to find soft spots if he can't get separation at that level? I like the hands and his height but unless he can get open he's not going to have much success in the NFL. You can't expect him to make catch after catch with guys draped all over him at this level.

Brad Smith. Wildcat QB. Lets just revisit his passing stats in the 2 years Brad has been with the Bills. 2 attempts which resulted in 2 interceptions. So no completed passes as a Bill. In his 7 years in the league 9 attempts with 4 completions. Clearly there is no passing threat when he steps in as Wildcat QB but Brad was excellent in short yardage runs. I just dont understand why opponents dont totally commit to defend the run when Brad is under centre. Hackett needs to find another option for gadget plays.

At this point I'm hoping Kaufman shows enough in camp to make the 53. Howver I doubt whether Kaufman has Special Team skills and that may count against him in the final cut down. Special Teams is where Brad excels but he is an expensive luxury.

Agreed. I liked the signing at first, but I'm over him at this point. At 3.5 and 4 mill a year, it should be a no brainer that we get rid of him. I'd rather see what the kids have and have more money to lock up other guys (Byrd, wood, Cj).

My guess...practice squad, activated after first injury to a WR. Would help his case if he could do something on special teams, but not likely, unless he can tackle. Never make him a TE...if anything, train him up and try to work on his speed.....teach him the moves and knowledge of a pro. But, I gotta tell ya, anybody who caught that many balls is already a pro in a certain sense. Anyhow, good to see a free agent drawing attention. As for DeRick Rogers, I wish him the best outcome, and am not betting against that man.

I really like what this kid showed during the rookie minicamp. Hey, he could be our Joe Jurevicius some day. He seemed to stand out much more than Rogers and some other UDFA's.

Of course the guy in WGR this morning (Joe Buscaglia?) tempered enthusiasm by saying Kaufman had some dropsies in college and dropped some balls during the minicamp....and also does not run out of his breaks too well. He thinks Kaufman will have a hard time making the team.

I hope he proves people wrong and just makes plays this summer.