Per request, a "Bills most likely to be cap casualties" thread

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark very well could be cut if hes not a starter or if he has another season like the last. They traded for Hughes which to me is a very similar while younger player and Anderson is the highest hitter on the list. If Kolb and TJ are still there come September EJ bust talk will already be well underway.

I agree smith is a goner. Too much young talent there. SJ, Woods and Goodwin make it. Graham Da'rick, Easley, Dickerson and Smith fighting for the last 2 or 3 spots.

Either way, there already was a bunch of cap cleaning.

- Fitz

- Kelsey

- Wilson

- McGee

- Barnett

-c-Mac

- shawne

Could argue not resigning Levitre falls in too.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Either way, there already was a bunch of cap cleaning.

- Fitz

- Kelsey

- Wilson

- McGee

- Barnett

-c-Mac

- shawne

And this is maybe the most important point.

While we all may guess differently about cap casualties, the Bills don't appear to be in a position where they are forced to unload veteran contracts.

If a veteran can justify his pay, he will stay.

While the Analytics Department has not and may not actually be implemented, the Bills are using analytics in the area of payroll so there will be a lot of value judgements made on the journey to 53 players.

He would have to be broken. Do you not recall who KW is? The guy has been a 2 time pro bowler and is fantastically effective when healthy. I understand your comment to a point, but I would be more than shocked were this to happen. Let's all hope for a big year from KW.

I don't hope for or anticipate this, but I think that his release would define "surprise cut." Defensive linemen take a banging, and there's a chance that his foot doesn't heal properly. I simply mentioned the miniscule possibility, whereas there is no chance that Mario or Stevie, for example, would be cut.

Heres the way i see it:

Mark Anderson isn't going anywhere. My bet is he has a great year.

Rian Lindell--buh bye. No need to spend 3 mil on a kicker who dominates from 30 yds and under.

Brad Smith-- Nice guy but really doesnt fit what it looks like they are gonna do. Too much young talent at that position for him to hang around at his cap numbers.

Pears-- Give me a break, he isn't going anywhere. He's one of our top 4 lineman right now.

Tavaris Jackson-- Goodbye, thx for the memories (oh thats right there are none) good luck at your next stop.

I agree, I thought Smith was on narrowed time last year and these guys aren't even thinking about the Wildcat. The only way Jackson stays is if he put plays Kolb in camp and preseason. Rian is gone he has been a good kicker but time waits for no man.

Anderson and pears stay unless they really get trounced in camp.

Borrowed not narrowed.

Out not put

Damn spell correct!

I disagree with your statement that Graham could potentially get cut, I think he is basically a lock to make the team. He was impressive in the voluntary workouts (I know playing in shorts doesn’t mean a lot) and I don’t think there is any way we cut ties with our 3rd round pick from last season if he shows even a tiny bit of improvement. WRs typically take a few years to develop and you can’t teach speed.

I don't think that Graham was able last year to dispel the questions during the draft process about his hands. He had 7 drops and 31 receptions while Brad Smith had 0 drops last year (though only 14 catches).

I think that if this coaching staff was super high on Graham they wouldn't have prioritized adding two wideouts early in the draft the way they did. If we have Stevie and Woods and we're in love with Graham, it would make sense to look at a different position in the 3rd round. It doesn't seem like the coaches are 100% sold on him is all I'm saying.

It's true they want speed but they also want versatility and precise route running. Graham has a lot to prove.

A lot of guys make their biggest improvement from year 1 to year 2 and the early word on Graham is good, so we'll see if he can answer some of the questions about him. I wouldn't say he's a lock though, he needs to show significant improvement over last year. There's a lot of talent at WR.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

Brad Smith, Lindell, and T.Jax make the most sense. Out of the three I don't see Brad Smith going anywhere till next season for one reason we have a lot of youth at the skill positions and Smith provides a lot of versatility and experience esp if Marrone would like to do 4 wide sets often.

Unless the three young receivers and TJ all show up huge in camp I can see Smith staying but he is certainly on the bubble. Lindell good as gone 3 million saved, T.Jax likely gone 1.75 towards the cap saved. Pears and Smith I think stay but Smith is far from 100%.

My opinion seems to match the consensus...

This does seem to be the year that Lindell gets cut.

I like Brad Smith's versatility but he's not good enough as a returner, QB or WR to warrant a roster spot. The four new QBs and three new rookie WRs crowd him out. We have other good returners.

I do think Pears and Andersen remain. We're too needy for offensive linemen and pass rushers to cut one for some salary cap relief.

The QB battle will be interesting. The Bills will keep 3 of these four: EJ, Kolb, TJax, Tuel - so probably either TJax or Tuel is out. I'm not convinced it will be TJax.

Edited by hondo in seattle

and I would have said that he's safer than Kolb for the fact that he is similar in playing style as EJ. They can run the same offense. Kolb is more of a pocket passer. Therefore, of Kolb starts or EJ starts, and one of them is injured, now you must change the offense for the other QBs strengths. Jackson just seems to fit more with what they seem to be implementing.

But, this also allows opposing defenses to also prepare for one offense. Let's let the coaches and players earn their paychecks and be able to tweak their offense. Keeps opponents guessing.

I predict Brad Smith sticks around and they put one or two rookie WRs on the practice squad as insurance against injury.

I think Lindell is as good as gone. The rookie has to really stink to lose the job at this point. I always liked Lindell, he is bigger and tougher than most kickers. He actually made a few tackles over the last few years, which is rare for a kicker (and an indication of how bad the special team play has been, since the kicker shouldn't have to make any tackles). But he was never a great kicker, he's getting old, and it's time to move on. I predict the QB, LS, P and K will all be from Florida State this year.

I predict Brad Smith sticks around and they put one or two rookie WRs on the practice squad as insurance against injury.

I think Lindell is as good as gone. The rookie has to really stink to lose the job at this point. I always liked Lindell, he is bigger and tougher than most kickers. He actually made a few tackles over the last few years, which is rare for a kicker (and an indication of how bad the special team play has been, since the kicker shouldn't have to make any tackles). But he was never a great kicker, he's getting old, and it's time to move on. I predict the QB, LS, P and K will all be from Florida State this year.

83% during his career, franchise best, though I agree with the bolded.

http://www.wgr550.co...tentId=13022419

Personally, I don't know how they cut Pears, even if Hairston is better. Somebody has to be the swing tackle backup. Is that Sanders? Or, is he the new LG? Also, much depends on what happens elsewhere...in KC, for example. They have extra O line, and the Dolphins arlready tried to trade for their LT. For my part, I am really interested in how the Bills approach the O line. I will reserve being concerned about it, until I see the solution, and see if it works.

Pears, imo, could never be placed on the left side. He is a mauler, but not agile noe mobile. I don't know if he coud fill in at guard in a pinch.

Limitations notwithstanding, I like him at RT. He is extremely strong, and he opened some very big holes for Spiller on that side.

What has Smith ever done? He was brought in to run the Wildcat. This coaching staff has no intention of running the Wildcat.

83% during his career, franchise best, though I agree with the bolded.

I went to pro-football-reference.com and looked up some stats. Just as I expected, Lindell's field goal percentages drop off significantly for FGs beyond 40 yards. Obviously every kicker's statistics drop off for longer ranges, but it seems as though Lindell's dropped off a little more than most. His touchback percentage is also dropping fast. I don't want to trash the guy, I just think it's time to move on.

What has Smith ever done? He was brought in to run the Wildcat. This coaching staff has no intention of running the Wildcat.

I hope this coaching staff has no intention of running the wildcat. I just think that Smith is a good all around contributor and a voice of experience which may make it worth keeping him. I don't know anything about his contract (other than he is paid a lot more than most people think he should be), and I don't know how much cap room would be saved by cutting him. If cutting him saves enough cap room to sign somebody else that fills a bigger need, then I would be all for it.