Bill Polian on Jerry Hughes

And the other thing about Sheppard to add to what you've written here is that he also lacked physicality. You could forgive him his lack of instincts and lack of quickness if he was a hard rock thumper. But he wasn't that either.

I'm skeptical that a change of scenery will do him much good but maybe.

Let me put it this way, he certainly can't get any worse.

Ultimately that is it. It is a low risk, possible high reward deal, for both teams.

I can't speak to Hughes' play because I never really noticed him play.

But to say that "they got the better of the deal?"

In my book Sheppard had almost zero value. Every time he played he sucked. You could have gotten equivalent play from an undrafted free agent.

That's a weird take.

i think they are saying the same things we are.... "look at the stat sheet - our guys a bum and hes a little productive, we win!"

i think they are saying the same things we are.... "look at the stat sheet - our guys a bum and hes a little productive, we win!"

From what I've read Shep's status as a starter is also being used as evidence of his greatness.

Edited by Carey Bender

From what I've read Shep's status as a starter is also being used as evidence of his greatness.

yup two fan bases that didnt like their own guy and didnt see much of the other so hoping the unknown is better.

This is a fantastic trade for us - Sheppard was basically second to third string; we couldn't count on him to do anything other than NOT make plays. Whereas, Hughes has potential to be a one-dimensional pass rusher. We really don't have a lot of players on our roster that fit Hughes physical skillset. We have a bunch of OLB'ers that are versatile, but they're all lacking in top end speed. That's because we need our guys to be able to do more than just rush the passer; they need to be able to translate back and forth between 4-3 and 3-4 - but, strictly as a 3rd down pass rushing OLB'er, Hughes might be a 6-8 sacks a year kind of player. That's a need we had and filled with a guy who still has potential (he might be a bust, sure, but it cost us a backup to get a player who might "turn that corner" as Polian said, and who was "miscast" as Polian also said).

I can't speak to Hughes' play because I never really noticed him play.

But to say that "they got the better of the deal?"

In my book Sheppard had almost zero value. Every time he played he sucked. You could have gotten equivalent play from an undrafted free agent.

That's a weird take.

Well from their perspective Hughes was basically what you just said there and they see Bradham the way we see Hughes although probably not as optimistic.

Hughes definitely played better last year than his previous two years because they switched defensive schemes that he fit into alot better. I think he is a good 3-4 OLB, and he will most likely be on a rotation here which keeps him fresh. I think both Hughes and Lawson are great pickups this off-season as both certainly have lots of potential and are good in the 3-4 defense. Not to mention the pickup of Alan Branch at NT, who has some good 3-4 experience and is alittle underrated.

If Jerry Hughes continues to build off of last year and starts playing like he did at TCU, we got a good trade. I think this trade happened because both players involved need a new start and both fit their "new" team's defensive scheme alittle better. Pettine loves quick guys with versatility, and that's what Hughes provides.

The only negative of the trade was that we lose a ILB.... In my opinion we now have two inexperienced starters on the roster (Bradham and Alonso). I hope we go out and sign a veteran experienced ILB who can step in if needed. It doesn't need to be a flashy signing, just someone who can play. Sheppard was very average here and offers very little versatility

I think then we are only 1 CB and 1 ILB signing away from having a very good defense.

Edited by Beastly Dareus

Hughes is a pass rushing OLB who fits better in Pettine's system than he does with what the Colts run on defense. He's more speed, wiggle, and quickness than he is power and strength. He's a very good athlete, but wasn't cast in the right role with the Colts.

The Colts want their OLBs to be big strong powerful guys (260-270 lbs) who can set the edge and force the play inside. That's NOT what Hughes can do well.

The bottom line is that Hughes fits well with the Bills want to do and doesn't fit well with the Colts. Hopefully, he can be another good pass rusher for us.

I think the Bills realized that Sheppard wasn't going to be of much help to them in Pettine's system.

Steeler fans get upset about Jerome Bettis missing the HOF like we do about Andre Reed. How many people remember what a bust he was with the Rams?

Cris Carter was ordinary in Philadelphia.

I'm just saying, it's worth swapping someone who doesn't fit your plans for someone who may have something to contribute.

Ya I don't know, all the Colts fans I've talked to said he was terrible and most think they got the better deal out of the trade.

This coming from a team that had one of the worst defenses of all time last year? Their DC was worse than Wannstadt, so maybe a real DC like Pettine can figure out how to use him. He managed to even turn Mayhem Maybin into a useful player for a half season...

Steeler fans get upset about Jerome Bettis missing the HOF like we do about Andre Reed. How many people remember what a bust he was with the Rams?

Cris Carter was ordinary in Philadelphia.

I'm just saying, it's worth swapping someone who doesn't fit your plans for someone who may have something to contribute.

Not exactly a bust...1429 yards his rookie year followed by over 1000 his second season...3rd season was disappointing but likely the result of nagging injuries or poor line play...

Dude I am a huge geek and that was too geeky a reference for even me to stand!!! :doh:

Lol! Tell Joker and Ashley I said hi...

Commander Sheppard is the greatest hero of our time. Can't believe we traded him for this bum.

We could have at least got a few Krogans or maybe even a fleet of Batarians...yet we settle for this dude...lol

Ya I don't know, all the Colts fans I've talked to said he was terrible and most think they got the better deal out of the trade.

I highly doubt the guy can be any worse than Sheppard. Keith Ellison is the #1, 2, and 3 worst all time starting linebacker for the Bills but Shepp could be 4.

Was always mega impressed with Jerry Hughes and the swarming defence at TCU. Hope he comes good for the Bills albeit we seem set at OLB with Mario and Lawson as starters with Anderson in relief. Agree with earlier post that Inside LB is where we need the extra help. Buddy needs to get shopping again.

Wonder who made the first call on the Hughes/Sheppard trade ? And whether we offered him pre draft in an attempt to pick up a draft pick instead of a player swap? Wonder how many other players Buddy tried to offload to other teams?