Bill Polian on Jerry Hughes

Well lately I haven't agreed with much of what Polian's been saying for public consumption.

Nonetheless, his reputation in NFL circles is pretty secure and his role in building the Super Bowl Bills is rather instrumental.

Last week the Bills traded Kelvin Sheppard for Jerry Hughes, a player that Bill Polian drafted in the first round. Polian believes that Jerry Hughes "turned a corner" last season and here's more on that (with an audio link to the John Murphy show included):

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/05/06/jerry-hughes-turned-the-corner-last-year/

People were asking why we traded for someone else's draft bust when we have enough of our own.

But Polian sees something in this guy. Considering how little Shep accomplished when he was on the field, the trade seems like a good gamble.

Thanks for the links.

yeah, but as the drafter he's always going to try and defend his pick, right? guy like that won't want to admit a bust (who does?).

True enough... but Polian isn't necessarily wrong.

This trade is a head-scratcher for this very reason. I've never seen Hughes play, but stat-wise, he did seem to "turn the corner". Considering Nix has a proven track record of turning garbage into gold, I think we may have just picked up a very good player.

This trade is a head-scratcher for this very reason. I've never seen Hughes play, but stat-wise, he did seem to "turn the corner". Considering Nix has a proven track record of turning garbage into gold, I think we may have just picked up a very good player.

different angle to the argument. Well done.

Ya I don't know, all the Colts fans I've talked to said he was terrible and most think they got the better deal out of the trade.

Ya I don't know, all the Colts fans I've talked to said he was terrible and most think they got the better deal out of the trade.

I can't speak to Hughes' play because I never really noticed him play.

But to say that "they got the better of the deal?"

In my book Sheppard had almost zero value. Every time he played he sucked. You could have gotten equivalent play from an undrafted free agent.

That's a weird take.

Say what?

Ah...trading a third round draft disappointment for a first round draft disappointment seems like a decent idea to me. We have seen in sports over and over, sometimes a change of scenery is good for a player. I can see either, or both of these guys being productive NFL players. Personally, given the awful defensive schemes the Bills have been running, I am not sure how much of Shepperds seeming ineptness came from scheme/coahcing, and how much is lack of natural talent. He was a pretty good college player, on a great defensive team.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

True. But more often one man's trash is another man's garbage.

I don't expect much from Hughes, but while I was excited with Sheppard's potential, he was just terrible, almost always. It's possible, going into his fourth year, put in the right position and allowed to do what he does well, Hughes could be a nice cog in this defense. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Something Polian said in that interview made a lot of sense, that Hughes, coming from the conference he was in at the time, just wasn't at all prepared for the physicality of the linemen he was expected to take on, when he was a speedy edge rusher miscast by the Colts defensive coaches. And it took him quite some time to get used to it, and that it usually takes these guys into their third year before the light comes on, which he thought it did last year. But of course he is going to defend his own pick.

Ah...trading a third round draft disappointment for a first round draft disappointment seems like a decent idea to me. We have seen in sports over and over, sometimes a change of scenery is good for a player. I can see either, or both of these guys being productive NFL players. Personally, given the awful defensive schemes the Bills have been running, I am not sure how much of Shepperds seeming ineptness came from scheme/coahcing, and how much is lack of natural talent. He was a pretty good college player, on a great defensive team.

My disappointment with him was that he isn't exceptionally fast, so he needs to either anticipate faster than most, or shed blocks in front of him quick, and he did neither. At all. Granted, the play in front of him was usually pretty bad. But he was just easily taken out of the play. He really disappointed me.

My experience in business (not football) is that when an individual gets a change of jobs, sometimes that individual blossoms into a swan (from an ugly duckling) Its just the circumstances. Hopefully both traded players find their stride in their new roles.

My disappointment with him was that he isn't exceptionally fast, so he needs to either anticipate faster than most, or shed blocks in front of him quick, and he did neither. At all. Granted, the play in front of him was usually pretty bad. But he was just easily taken out of the play. He really disappointed me.

And the other thing about Sheppard to add to what you've written here is that he also lacked physicality. You could forgive him his lack of instincts and lack of quickness if he was a hard rock thumper. But he wasn't that either.

I'm skeptical that a change of scenery will do him much good but maybe.

Let me put it this way, he certainly can't get any worse.

True. But more often one man's trash is another man's garbage.

I don't expect much from Hughes, but while I was excited with Sheppard's potential, he was just terrible, almost always. It's possible, going into his fourth year, put in the right position and allowed to do what he does well, Hughes could be a nice cog in this defense. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Something Polian said in that interview made a lot of sense, that Hughes, coming from the conference he was in at the time, just wasn't at all prepared for the physicality of the linemen he was expected to take on, when he was a speedy edge rusher miscast by the Colts defensive coaches. And it took him quite some time to get used to it, and that it usually takes these guys into their third year before the light comes on, which he thought it did last year. But of course he is going to defend his own pick.

I remember hearing someone talking, during the season (maybe it was Gailey, or maybe Nix) about Sheppard, saying that he had to "think less" and "react more"... having to think too much can slow a guy down. I don't think Sheppard was ever thought of as a real speedy guy, but, yeah, he was noticably slow this past season.

I also recall Donte Whitner (everyones' favorite) making some comments about his playing days in Buffalo, suggesting that often the players could see that things weren't working on the field, as the coaches were calling them, and it was frustrating that they never changed up their approach...so players were often out on the field, not really buying into the scheme that the coaches were preaching. I relize, Sheppard and Whitner were here at different times, but I think we can all understand what he means. Just watching games over the years, how often did the Bills defense look woefully un-prepared, or out of place. Before Perry Fewell became a coahcing legend, he ran some fairly in-effective schemes with the Bills. Perhaps it was the scheme, or maybe it was the players...but it only makes sense if a player is out on the field, trying to do something he doesn't think he, or his teammates, can do, it just might affect his play.

Edited by Buftex

And the other thing about Sheppard to add to what you've written here is that he also lacked physicality. You could forgive him his lack of instincts and lack of quickness if he was a hard rock thumper. But he wasn't that either.

I'm skeptical that a change of scenery will do him much good but maybe.

Let me put it this way, he certainly can't get any worse.

And yet, Wanny sang his praises. Go figure. :bag:

Edited by eball