What about LG?

cage

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said, I fundamentally disagree with your statement, and I'm eager to see the line continue to produce 5.0 yards per carry and provide top-10 pass protection in the coming year.

:thumbsup:

Fearthe....,

And even with the explanation, I still don't like your board name. :nana:

​The lines under Jauron were always a mess. I don't really care what the stats say (although bandit did a good job refuting your suppositions there). I could see with my eyes that the oline sucked back then and that Buddy brought in a bunch of waiver wires and PS guys who looked better. I don't buy the Fitz made them look better thing and at time he got rid of the ball too fast,which I felt hurt them statically. Injuries always hurt and FA this year is going to hurt but I do think this coaching staff DOES have a plan and it won't be as bad as you are painting it. I could be wrong but will be optimistic going forward just because it's the off season and I can. :beer: Cheers.

Edited by bowery4

At the Monday Quarterback Luncheon Doug Whaley mentioned that in the new offense not as much emphasis is placed on the guard position. This is per Joe B from WGR today. It could explain why Levitre was allowed to leave and why they have not been more active in finding a replacement on free agency or the draft.

Now this is the biggest load of crapola I have heard this week. So, since we plan to throw a lot in a hurry up offence then running backs are not important. We plan on running the ball more and getting more first downs so a punter is not as important. All they are trying to do is cover up that fact they pizzed on Levitre and he left. We tend to eat our own good ones.

:thumbsup:

Fearthe....,

And even with the explanation, I still don't like your board name. :nana:

​The lines under Jauron were always a mess. I don't really care what the stats say (although bandit did a good job refuting your suppositions there). I could see with my eyes that the oline sucked back then and that Buddy brought in a bunch of waiver wires and PS guys who looked better. I don't buy the Fitz made them look better thing and at time he got rid of the ball too fast,which I felt hurt them statically. Injuries always hurt and FA this year is going to hurt but I do think this coaching staff DOES have a plan and it won't be as bad as you are painting it. I could be wrong but will be optimistic going forward just because it's the off season and I can. :beer: Cheers.

Sorry you don't care for the name, it stays until the fundamental psyche of the team changes. Because now its not just HC Marrone who's job is on the line, Its Buddy Nix and his staunch supporter Russ Brandon. They both need to fear the losing! Gailey's record at 16-32 is also Buddy Nix's record, and for that matter Russ Brandon's record. It seems to me no matter how bad the team plays the people in charge not only get a pat on the back, they get promotions! We will see what happens if things don't work out again.

Anyway, the O line sucked back then because they ran the offense from a traditional closed pro shotgun set. The O line still sucks, Gailey just used smoke and mirrors, and a spread offense. Kinda why Gailey refused to play a different QB. Kinda why the RB's could gain big yardage all season but they couldn't make a first down on 3rd and short if their lives depended on it. Not to mention all the injuries that happen every year to every player on that line, no continuity.

I firmly believe that it takes a very good O line to build a winning team in todays NFL, especially if you have a below average QB or a rookie.

Don't get me wrong, I would be unbelievably happy to be proved wrong here. If I am, it means the Bills found an amazing talent at QB, aka Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers. But it just so happens that I have this very same argument with other Bills fans every year, and year after year since the Jim Kelly days.

I love that Bills fans always have eternal optimism at this time every year, never lose it! Cheers! :beer:

Sanders has never faced real NFL defenders and is coming off surgery to both hips. We spent too many years with crappy o-lines. I know guards are supposedly easy to replace, but I am concerned. If we run a fast offense it will really help, but I don't see who we're going to play. I was unimpressed with Sam Young and Colin Brown last year.

I think new HC is under a misconception that because he was an ex NFL linemen that he can fix the flaws in a lot of Bills O line players. Hey, perhaps he can, what do I know.

What I do know is that putting lipstick on a pig does nothing as its still a pig. The current line has two good players, and perhaps three if Hairston develops into a decent RT.

Will this line be good enough to protect Kolb or EJ this season, particularly up the middle. I have my doubts.

At the Monday Quarterback Luncheon Doug Whaley mentioned that in the new offense not as much emphasis is placed on the guard position. This is per Joe B from WGR today. It could explain why Levitre was allowed to leave and why they have not been more active in finding a replacement on free agency or the draft.

Huh, do opposing defenses know about this lack of emphasis? How do we plan to get them to go along?

Jauron also fired his OC Turk Schonert two weeks before the season started and promoted QB coach AVP. Who really wasn't ready for that job, thus scuttling his own team.

That firing was one of the weirdest things to happen in recent Bills history, still not sure what that accomplished?

Sorry you don't care for the name, it stays until the fundamental psyche of the team changes. Because now its not just HC Marrone who's job is on the line, Its Buddy Nix and his staunch supporter Russ Brandon. They both need to fear the losing! Gailey's record at 16-32 is also Buddy Nix's record, and for that matter Russ Brandon's record. It seems to me no matter how bad the team plays the people in charge not only get a pat on the back, they get promotions! We will see what happens if things don't work out again.

Anyway, the O line sucked back then because they ran the offense from a traditional closed pro shotgun set. The O line still sucks, Gailey just used smoke and mirrors, and a spread offense. Kinda why Gailey refused to play a different QB. Kinda why the RB's could gain big yardage all season but they couldn't make a first down on 3rd and short if their lives depended on it. Not to mention all the injuries that happen every year to every player on that line, no continuity.

I firmly believe that it takes a very good O line to build a winning team in todays NFL, especially if you have a below average QB or a rookie.

Don't get me wrong, I would be unbelievably happy to be proved wrong here. If I am, it means the Bills found an amazing talent at QB, aka Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers. But it just so happens that I have this very same argument with other Bills fans every year, and year after year since the Jim Kelly days.

I love that Bills fans always have eternal optimism at this time every year, never lose it! Cheers! :beer:

There is not one indicator in the world of football to back up your statement that the OL sucks.

Not one.

Glad to see that some Bills' fans manage to find a problem with every facet of the team regardless of the reality of the situation.

There are plenty of areas of the team that you can say "suck": QB, WR, depth at TE, run defense, LB, depth at CB, SS, tale your pick.

OL isn't one of them, and your "trust me I've seen it" argument doesn't cut the mustard.

Sorry

There is not one indicator in the world of football to back up your statement that the OL sucks.

Not one.

Glad to see that some Bills' fans manage to find a problem with every facet of the team regardless of the reality of the situation.

There are plenty of areas of the team that you can say "suck": QB, WR, depth at TE, run defense, LB, depth at CB, SS, tale your pick.

OL isn't one of them, and your "trust me I've seen it" argument doesn't cut the mustard.

Sorry

No need to apologize. :D

Fungible position. I want to have a very good LG, but I think that it shouldn't be Dockery, and between other team salary cap cuts and our current roster, someone completely reasonable will emerge by the start of the season, and I would rather have a competition than an overpriced starter (but most of all I would rather have Leveitre at a bargain rate, but that wasn't possible).

Fungible -- great word, and entirely appropriate in this context. I think you only have to look at what Buffalo has done in FA and the draft this offseason to realize they are not concerned.

Sorry, late to this party, but did Whaley really say this? The offensive line is a unit. How do you place less emphasis on 2 of 5 positions? Sorry, this makes no sense to me.

Sorry, late to this party, but did Whaley really say this? The offensive line is a unit. How do you place less emphasis on 2 of 5 positions? Sorry, this makes no sense to me.

I didn't hear the direct quote and don't know if BRAWNDO relayed it accurately, but my guess is that this was likely in response to some sort of question about why they didn't re-sign Levitre, and not a commentary on "ignoring" 40% of the OL.

Anyone give credence to the fact that EJ's mobility will make the OLine "look better than it is," a la Fitz's quick release making the OLine "better than it was"? I think EJ's ability to roll out will add time for the deep route runners that WE NOW HAVE. Fitz wouldn't have been able to make use of them - because he couldn't throw farther than 20 yards down field. He was all about the short, quick pass attack and that made it too easy for the opposing D to stack the box, shoot gaps, pressuring Fitz and stuffing the run. It took CJ two years to figure out how to run with the field slanted uphill against him like that.

I even expect Kolb to look better than he did in AZ. He's got a much bigger arm than Fitz, and Maronne/Hackett aren't planning on playing the short iron game as evidenced by the speed they just acquired in The Draft. When was the last time you saw Fitz heave the rock 50 yards downfield to an open receiver in full stride? Right. I think they're going to air-it-out with the long ball in this new era at OBD. Won't that be refreshing.

We can't seriously be thinking about starting Colin Brown or hoping someone even lower on the depth chart can start... Why haven't OBD looked more seriously at Brandon Moore? Seems like the guy we need? Any other suggestions out there for our Game 1 starter??

why the hell not. We have a stable of young OL on the roster that we brought in to groom and get ready to play.

there is a reason the Bills have been stock piling young OL and getting them ready

At the Monday Quarterback Luncheon Doug Whaley mentioned that in the new offense not as much emphasis is placed on the guard position.

I wonder what their excuse will be when Vince Wilfork single-handedly stops our offense from producing in the opener.

Just because your offense doesnt put much importance on the position doesnt magically make it not important.

I too think that Brown is a gorod blocker. But we will probably need him at Center after Wood gets hurt.

Bill, ever the optimist ;), I hope you are wrong. I am wondering if and when this season they plan on signing him again. I mean he will be much cheaper if he gets IR'd again :wallbash:

Levitre was a really good player for them, but they will have the other 4 back this year, so that's pretty good continuity. Added to that is the fact that the most likely scenario is that either Brown, Hairston or Sanders fills LG and they have all been around for awhile. Lastly, whoever is at LG is going to be between their best 2 lineman, Wood and Glenn. I like that, if it's going to be the weakest spot on the line I want those two guys next to him to possibly cover up any mistakes.

I