Jairus Byrd: Jason Peters Part II?

Dawgg

In other words, if he made that play it would cost him $4 million.

How long it would it take him to make that up if he eventually signed long term for 5 years and $40 million?

What might that do to his negotiation leverage if he only played 6 games this year?

He will most likely sign that deal either this year with Bills or next year with another team. He will still be out $4M by sitting out 10 games.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In other words, if he made that play it would cost him $4 million.

How long it would it take him to make that up if he eventually signed long term for 5 years and $40 million?

What might that do to his negotiation leverage if he only played 6 games this year?

for Byrd, it's about the guaranteed money (the long term goal)......$6.9 mil (1 yr tag) vs $20 mil (long term deal)

eventually someone is going to guarantee him $20 million.

he is not giving up anything, he is only delaying his big payday.

if the bills don't pay him the $20 mil guaranteed BEFORE the season starts, then he holds out til NOV 12th in order to reduce his risk of injury or improve his chances of seeing the $20 mil next year.

for Byrd, it's about the guaranteed money (the long term goal)......$6.9 mil (1 yr tag) vs $20 mil (long term deal)

if the bills don't pay him the $20 mil guaranteed BEFORE the season starts, then he holds out til NOV 12th in order to reduce his risk of injury or improve his chances of seeing the $20 mil next year.

I guess my point is others have said he could sit out until week 10. if he does he loses out on about $4M that he will never get back. Like you said, some is going to give him $20M so why sit out out until week 10 and not collect a nice check?

I guess my point is others have said he could sit out until week 10. if he does he loses out on about $4M that he will never get back. Like you said, some is going to give him $20M so why sit out out until week 10 and not collect a nice check?

Because by sitting out he reduces his value. There comes a point where he starts looking bad.

PTR

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bills can tag him next year, too right? That may end up being one helluva delayed payday. And like Promo mentioned, his value decreases the longer he sits. It would be career suicide if he sat out for any length of time.

GO BILLS!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Bills can tag him next year, too right? That may end up being one helluva delayed payday. And like Promo mentioned, his value decreases the longer he sits. It would be career suicide if he sat out for any length of time.

GO BILLS!!!

most organizations crumble and give in by either paying or trading the player. they don't want the distraction. in the end the player gets his way.

I can't think of one instance where a "franchise" type player got screwed. even logan mankins got over Robert kraft.

Jairus Byrd to miss Buffalo Bills' mandatory minicamp

Franchise player Jairus Byrd won't show unless he has a contract, a source informed of the negotiations tells NFL.com's Ian Rapoport.

This is not a holdout. By rule, Byrd cannot practice until he signs the franchise tender or renegotiates a long-term deal. There's "nothing happening on that front at this time," Rapoport's source explained.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000210508/article/jairus-byrd-will-not-be-at-bills-mandatory-minicamp

most organizations crumble and give in by either paying or trading the player. they don't want the distraction. in the end the player gets his way.

I can't think of one instance where a "franchise" type player got screwed. even logan mankins got over Robert kraft.

this is exactly what I've been trying to stress for months now. Doesn't matter if Byrd misses out on $4million. Hell just increase his guaranteed money demands to whichever team signs him. He won't be out a dime. All he will do is miss some games, and rest up. Hell be ready to rock n roll with whoever signs him come day one.

As Peters very clearly said, he fully expected to re-sign with Buffalo. It was only the morning of the day he was traded when the Bills categorically refused to up their offer that he decided that he wasn't going to re-sign here.

A great deal of the problem for the Peters fiasco goes to how the Bills handled it. You need to either try to handle things sensitively or play hardball. You pick one or the other. The Bills had Peters under contract for another two full years. They started by playing hardball and then totally caved and traded him with two years remaining on his contract. If they were going to cave, they shouldn't have started saying bad things about him in the press.

Same ground rule should apply with Byrd. They franchised him. Make it clear they're willing to do it again next year even at the higher money, and then follow through if Parker thinks it's a bluff. Sooner or later Byrd will sign a new contract.

Great post. People forget that when Levy was hired as GM the organization went full idiot. They brought the problems with Peters on themselves. Peters wasn't a *good* player, he was one of the very best and to be paid a fraction those two schlubs was going to cause a problem. The Bills seemed oblivious to it. No foresight whatsoever because they really seemed to have no real plan. Nate Clements wants to be a free agent? They agree not to franchise him. Takeo Spikes wants to play for a winner? Traded. Willis McGahee wants out so he can get a new contract? Oblige him with a trade. Then they made matters worse by giving Peters away for a draft pick and allowing him to get more than he could have ever expected with 2 years left on his contract. That stupidity had an impact on future situations with Aaron Schobel and Marshawn Lynch. Schobel thought he could lead the organization around by the nose because Peters and his agent had. So he butted heads with Nix, resulting in a premature retirement. Then the Bills caved in and traded Lynch, who was disgruntled about some issues with the police in Buffalo. The organization needs to get past nonsense like that and for the most part, after the trade of Lynch, they have. Now that Russ is elevated to the top man in the organization he needs to have learned from the boatload of mistakes he made when he was GM and he can start by getting a deal done with Byrd.

if Bills play hardball, the likely franchise tag value for Jairus in:

2013 is $6.9 mil (1st time)

2014 is $8.3 mil (120% increase, 2nd time)

2015 is $11.9 mil (144% increase, 3rd time)

I say Jairus wants $25 million GUARANTEED

financially speaking, tagging him 3 times in a row on 1 year deals, adds up to $27 million. this gives the bills a chance to decide after each year if he fits in Pettines defense and or is worth Top 5 safety money.

How we handle Byrd will dictate how things go with Spiller, Wood, etc. If the Bills act like we do, full on panic mode, then expect future negotiations to be ugly too.

Our answer to every contract situation is "pay the man." Someone wants to be #1 paid at his position? Pay the man. If that is how we respond then guess what happens every time we have to re-sign someone?

The Bills might as well have an ATM in the lobby dispensing million-dollar bills.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

How we handle Byrd will dictate how things go with Spiller, Wood, etc. If the Bills act like we do, full on panic mode, then expect future negotiations to be ugly too.

Our answer to every contract situation is "pay the man." Someone wants to be #1 paid at his position? Pay the man. If that is how we respond then guess what happens every time we have to re-sign someone?

The Bills might as well have an ATM in the lobby dispensing million-dollar bills.

PTR

This is an example of what I mean when I say the Bills may have several reasons not to give Byrd what he's asking for at the moment. IMHO, both Spiller and Wood are better at their respective positions and are more important pieces to the puzzle. Byrd is a terrific player and I'd prefer he re-sign but the bigger picture must take precedent and I can fully appreciate the Bills' position on the matter.

GO BILLS!!!

Remember when everybody was gushing to throw money at Fred Jackson?

I think he would be valued greatly in free agency but I don't know of a team that is desperate enough for safety help to trade a first round pick for him and then pay him more than Goldson. In Peerless' case, the Falcons were desperate for a WR. The Clements case was the same, there were teams that were desperate for a cb and would have gladly traded a high pick for Clements. That said, I think the Bills owe it to the fans to get something done with Byrd and retain him. Losing him is a step back and there is not time for that. This staff needs to get off on the right foot.

This is the bed you make when you use premium draft picks on positions that you do not value as premium as an organization. You end up with a situation where it is easy to justify not paying them when their contracts come up. Same issue with RB's and CB's. We have seen this over and over. Draft a RB, trade him for much less than the value used to draft him. Draft a CB, let him walk in free agency. Then use high picks to replace them. The Bills aren't the Patriots or the Steelers, they don't have the luxury of letting key players walk because they don't have the strong foundation those teams have that allows them to endure personnel losses and continue winning.

To be honest, I go back and forth on what I think the Bills should do wrt Byrd. I suppose this is partially because I am still seething about losing Levitre. The Bills have only had 2 high quality guards on the roster since the mid 1990s. Levitre was one of them, and they let HIM walk, only to place the tag on a defensive back. This, with a rookie quarterback, another who is probably as beat up as Trent Edwards, and a running back as a featured weapon. I cannot sort this out in a rational way.

And I do see your point that the Bills owe it to the fans to sign him. But I just don't embrace the premise of the Bills devoting SO much money to a safety who is good, but not dominant. First it was prime draft choices, in this case it will be HUGE dollars.

If it were up to me, I would offer him his first 2 years guaranteed. This way if his quality of play wanes, or he gets hurt, he could be cut without a cap hit. Would Parker go with this? I don't know.

Edited by Bill from NYC

GO BILLS!!!

You only get so many game checks in a career. To sacrifice a dozen big ones is certainly a risk. These aren't rookie contract, these are tops at his position checks.

Ill also say the Clements deal was strange by nfl standards but because its the only recent bills tag too many people accept it as a normal situation. If the dudes tagged two years in a row he's put a pretty solid dent in the 20m guaranteed and can turn around and get that contract down the line still

To be honest, I go back and forth on what I think the Bills should do wrt Byrd. I suppose this is partially because I am still seething about losing Levitre. The Bills have only had 2 high quality guards on the roster since the mid 1990s. Levitre was one of them, and they let HIM walk, only to place the tag on a defensive back. This, with a rookie quarterback, another who is probably as beat up as Trent Edwards, and a running back as a featured weapon. I cannot sort this out in a rational way.

And I do see your point that the Bills owe it to the fans to sign him. But I just don't embrace the premise of the Bills devoting SO much money to a safety who is good, but not dominant. First it was prime draft choices, in this case it will be HUGE dollars.

If it were up to me, I would offer him his first 2 years guaranteed. This way if his quality of play wanes, or he gets hurt, he could be cut without a cap hit. Would Parker go with this? I don't know.

I think the stark reality is that getting out of the basement after becoming so entrenched there is going to cost money. Dollars need to be applied to correct the wounds inflicted by poor decisions on draft day and with regard to coaches.

If the worst thing that happens to you is having to massage the salary cap for a year or two then so be it.

They simply can't take the approach Levy/Jauron did where they decided they were williing to take a couples steps backward so they could develop their own, cheaper talent. There is no room for setback in 2013.

After a decade plus of an established losing culture a change needs to come quick if there is any hope of establishing what Marrone is trying to implement. If they fall flat on their faces this year it will be a much more uphill climb to get the team to buy into the process in year two and may prove to be a suspended death sentence for this staff.

I am miffed that they not only lost Levitre but are apparently attempting to replace him with a veteran part-time-starter scrub from a team with a bad offensive line. That said, if there is one area where Marrone should be expected to be able to create great synergy despite lesser talent it is on the offensive line.

I don't disagree with any of your points. I've done some digging on Parker too, and found that for his top tier clients, he does seek record-setting contracts.

I think the Bills are willing to make Byrd one of, if not the, highest paid safeties. But by how much?

With a new coaching staff and Byrd's prominent role, it pains me to think he won't be around for OTAs and perhaps even training camp, for the sake of a small percentage of what will one way or the other be an enormous contract.

I pin the Peters scenario more on Peters than Parker. I think Peters was the greedy/gulilty party, and Parker did his job to the best of his ability.

I wonder if there is too much posturing going on in these negotiations. Either the Bills knew they were going to have to pay, and offered a generous contract which led Parker to believe he has the Bills over a barrel. Or... the Bills knew that they're going to have to pay, and that Parker was going to fight tooth and nail, so they low balled him and figure paying market value will seem like a win to Parker, since he had to battle for it.

One thing's for sure, I've spent too much time worrying about this in April and May... when I should be spending my time fantasizing about EJ leading the Bills to multiple SBs!

I wonder if there is too much posturing going on in TSW.

at about 2 weeks away from opening day, with Jairus not present yet, they will feel like they have no other choice but to get what they can for him. They won't make a bad decision only because with No word from Jairus at that point they will get what they can for him. It will most likely be a 2nd and a 4th or 5th (possible incentives to become a 4th if its a 5th).

I don't get your point about not trading him now and waiting until next year and better market value. It's the offseason now. What's the difference between this offseason and next offseason. If a team wants/needs a pro bowl safety they will be in the market.

Not if they don't have the cap space for it.