Jairus Byrd: Jason Peters Part II?

Dawgg

Players who received a tender but havent signed an NFL contract and unrestricted free agents whose contracts expired can participate in offseason workouts and minicamps with their previous team while retaining the free agency rights they have.

In order to participate, these players must sign an agreement that contains the standard language the NFL and NFLPA came up with last year. It has been incorporated into the 2011 collective bargaining agreement as Appendix Q.

Appendix Q protects players in case they are injured while participating in team activities during the offseason.

Practically speaking, players who are franchised, such as Jairus Byrd and Ryan Clady, and restricted free agents, like Victor Cruz, can choose to participate in team activities without signing an NFL player contract.

A main benefit to signing a participation agreement instead of an NFL contract is that a player will preserve his option of holding out without subjecting himself to penalties.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Participation-is-optional.html

Edited by papazoid

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May have been shared already, but Pro Football Focus called him the 25th best player in the LEAGUE. (link from BB.com / Chris Brown)

25. Jairus Byrd, S, Buffalo Bills (72nd)

Is there a better deep safety in the league than Byrd right now? A legitimate playmaker that quarterbacks have to be mindful of on every down, Byrd comfortably finished the year our top ranked cover safety. Now, the way he’s used may not make him the most complete safety out there, but he’s so good at what he does you can’t help but appreciate the Bills’ franchise player.

Best Performance: Week 11 vs Miami, +5.3

Key Stat: Intercepted five passes and wasn’t beaten for a touchdown all year.

Weddle is the only safety ahead of him on the list (based on 2012 performance).

Kelso, who I generally like, sounds like a complete moron in this piece. Also, has it ever crossed his mind that Byrd wants to leave and play for a winner? I'd prefer him wanting to play for the Bills, but I'd understand if he didn't want to.

Keep in mind Eugene Parker has a rep to maintain. He wants to be the agent that gets the big bucks for his clients. If he convinces Byrd he knows best then don't expect any movement from his side.

Sure, we can cave. But that only sets you up fro the next holdout, and the next.

PTR

Byrd has no leverage. All he can do is not show up. If he holds out, he doesn't get paid. No other team will make an offer--too expensive.

You are correct. You hate to do it to the guy, but if you are the Bills, you play hardball...Set a FAIR (which is top safety pay), reasonable ceiling to what you will pay the guy and stick to it.

Byrd and Parker would not be judged kindly in league circles if they took a deal less than Dashon Goldson's 5 year 41.25M deal with 22M guaranteed. Using that as a baseline and considering Byrd is a better safety, 2M might be a bridge too far.

We don't know the nature of the offer or what the player is seeking. I highly doubt Parker will ask for less than what Goldson received and if that's the case, then the agent wants at least 8.25M yearly, but probably more like ~9M per. So the Bills are probably offering ~7M and the agent is balking. Not surprising, but perhaps initial offers. In which case, one would hope this dialogue between sides continues.

Honestly, relative to Goldston, $9M seems like a "fair" offer for Byrd. However, considering the Bills have all the leverage, offer him somewhere in the ballpark of 5 year 43M with 24M guaranteed and make him the top paid safety in the league... Byrd and Eugene come away with the contract for a safety and the Bills get a relatively good deal as well.

Keep in mind Eugene Parker has a rep to maintain. He wants to be the agent that gets the big bucks for his clients. If he convinces Byrd he knows best then don't expect any movement from his side.

Sure, we can cave. But that only sets you up fro the next holdout, and the next.

PTR

That stance would sit better with me if it were clear that the Bills had a budget and they were sticking to it - i.e. they would let Byrd go, but sign a competent replacement on the market for less while allocating their resources smartly.

But the Bills have let very productive guys like Winfield, big Pat, and Greer go while giving raises to the likes of Kelsay and contracts to players like Merriman. This is something that needs to change if you're going to be competitive. They aren't saving money by letting these guys go, they're squandering it elsewhere.

I'm sorry but the Bills are already selling a line by saying that they couldn't meet Levitre's price and afford their other players. Levitre is gone, and with him, the salary he would have commanded. In his place, we have... um, what, exactly? Hopes that someone else steps up, and $aving$!

Tell me it won't be more of the same if they move Byrd. At least they haven't made a very special promise not to franchise him, so this is a step up from the Marv show.

Aren't you getting a little tired of seeing the best talent leave this team, though?

Let's see...

1. The Bills have converted both Ron Brooks and Aaron Williams to safety.
  2. The team drafted two safeties in this year's draft.
  3. Byrd's agent is Eugene Parker who also represents Jason Peters. This is the same agent who advised his client to hold out and ultimately engineered his exit to a contending team.
  4. Reports suggest that there has been little to no dialogue between the two sides.
  5. Both Byrd and his agent have been radio silent. Byrd's last tweet was March 1st, which happens to be the date he was franchised.

My uneducated guess (hope I'm wrong): Byrd's preference is to play/sign elsewhere and Eugene Parker is hellbent on making that happen. The Bills are making other plans.

well said

My guess is Duke and Jon Meeks were drafted not only as BPA based on the Bills' own board but as "insurance policies" in the event Byrd is not re-signed to a long term deal this year. Certainly, we'd all like to see Byrd back long term, but stockpiling safeties is not a bad idea in the unfortunate event that Jairus goes elsewhere.

another well made point.

Yes, in the overall rank of transgressors, you do have to love them.

:thumbsup:

Even more than those who start new topics without reading what's already out there.

lol

No doubt Eugene Parker is playing the same game with Byrd as he did with Peters. If so, I hope the Bills let Byrd sit and rot. If he will not sign the tender, let him sit. They will still own his rights come next year. I would love to keep him, but they should not allow themselves to be held hostage.

agree 100% and believe the Bolls are thinking the same thing.

And we are paying him his Franchise tag which is top 5 money for this year, and we are negotiating. But we can't spend stupid money on one player when Wood and Spiller are due soon. I'm all for paying the man as long as he's being reasonable about his value.

PTR

CJ should be mandatory to be resigned. Wood is as good as gone. Can't stay healthy. I doubt he's resigned.

The Eagles are/were a contending team?

at the time they were.

That is not correct. Buddy Nix said that Byrd is a high priority item, they have been in contact with Byrd's agent and were planning to have more dialogue now that the draft is over.

is Buddy Nix still the GM?

That stance would sit better with me if it were clear that the Bills had a budget and they were sticking to it - i.e. they would let Byrd go, but sign a competent replacement on the market for less while allocating their resources smartly.

But the Bills have let very productive guys like Winfield, big Pat, and Greer go while giving raises to the likes of Kelsay and contracts to players like Merriman. This is something that needs to change if you're going to be competitive. They aren't saving money by letting these guys go, they're squandering it elsewhere.

I'm sorry but the Bills are already selling a line by saying that they couldn't meet Levitre's price and afford their other players. Levitre is gone, and with him, the salary he would have commanded. In his place, we have... um, what, exactly? Hopes that someone else steps up, and $aving$!

Tell me it won't be more of the same if they move Byrd. At least they haven't made a very special promise not to franchise him, so this is a step up from the Marv show.

Aren't you getting a little tired of seeing the best talent leave this team, though?

1) If they have a plan why would they broadcast it? Don't assume there is no plan.

2) Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams and Jabari Greer left how long ago? In recent history the Bills have signed most of their free agents. Yes they let Levitre go but did you want to pay $9M to him?

You can't afford to make every free agent the highest paid at his position.

PTR

Are you saying you can? Or just whoever is the hot topic of the moment?

Nobody is saying that you can, man. That's my point. Nobody is saying that. I am saying we've already seen they didn't want to pay Levitre. You want to make the same case, I.e. they can't pay them all, with regard to Byrd, and I'm asking "when does it stop?" One can make the same argument over and over again. If they will only pay when desperate to make a splash and to reward good soldiers, they will continue down the same path of failure. Byrd is a piece this defense can use and he hasn't been demanding to this point. Without him they are backing themselves into another hole or starting another green player. Meanwhile, they wasted more than enough money on Ryan Fitzpatrick this past season to make up the difference between their position and Byrd's on this contract.

While we're chatting, remind me who the affordable replacement for Levitre is? They might have him on the roster but you can't tell me they aren't taking a risk where one didn't exist before.

$AVING$

I love the Bills, but they need to move on this one eventually, and to not retain another terrific player that they drafted is a pretty poor way to go about it.

I could see making Byrd one of the highest-paid safeties in the NFL considering he's a 2-time All-Pro. Levitre OTOH hasn't even made a token Pro Bowl appearance, so there's no way I could justify giving him anything close to what the Titans gave him. And I don't think he'll be that hard to replace.

Nobody is saying that you can, man. That's my point. Nobody is saying that. I am saying we've already seen they didn't want to pay Levitre. You want to make the same case, I.e. they can't pay them all, with regard to Byrd, and I'm asking "when does it stop?" One can make the same argument over and over again. If they will only pay when desperate to make a splash and to reward good soldiers, they will continue down the same path of failure. Byrd is a piece this defense can use and he hasn't been demanding to this point. Without him they are backing themselves into another hole or starting another green player. Meanwhile, they wasted more than enough money on Ryan Fitzpatrick this past season to make up the difference between their position and Byrd's on this contract.

While we're chatting, remind me who the affordable replacement for Levitre is? They might have him on the roster but you can't tell me they aren't taking a risk where one didn't exist before.

$AVING$

I love the Bills, but they need to move on this one eventually, and to not retain another terrific player that they drafted is a pretty poor way to go about it.

I don't disagree but it's a bit simplistic. Signing players is not just a matter of "wanting to." I absolutely want Byrd here.but what does Byrd want? What does Eugene Parker want? What are the Bills thinking? Are they concerned about resigning Spiller?

As for "who is taking (player)'s place?" Who knows? That doesn't mean there is no one. Who was Jairus Byrd when we drafted him? We won't know who has that potential until the season starts.

Remember how we would be devastated if we lost Jason Peters? Would we have been a playoff team if we payed him $11M/year? How much of a difference did he make in Philly? Yes, writers slobbered over Peters but in the end what did that get anyone other than Peters?

Analyze any SB team and you will find a combination of stars, role players and worker bees. No team has a roster of pro bowlers. No team has a roster of highest paid players at their positions.

But SB teams do have star players who consider the impact of their deals on their teams. They don't want to ruin their teams at contract time.

I want Byrd. Losing Byrd would hurt. But Byrd is not a player to flush your cap for. If Byrd, through Parker's influence or not, is more worried about that extra million than how good the Bills are, then I question his value to the team.

PTR

It wouldn't surprise me to see Byrd pull a Peters (ahem) and sit-out until just a few days before the season starts. That will give the younger guys (Aaron Williams, Duke Williams, Jonathan Meeks, Mana Silva, etc.) a chance to show what they can do at FS.

I don't disagree but it's a bit simplistic. Signing players is not just a matter of "wanting to." I absolutely want Byrd here.but what does Byrd want? What does Eugene Parker want? What are the Bills thinking? Are they concerned about resigning Spiller?

As for "who is taking (player)'s place?" Who knows? That doesn't mean there is no one. Who was Jairus Byrd when we drafted him? We won't know who has that potential until the season starts.

Remember how we would be devastated if we lost Jason Peters? Would we have been a playoff team if we payed him $11M/year? How much of a difference did he make in Philly? Yes, writers slobbered over Peters but in the end what did that get anyone other than Peters?

Analyze any SB team and you will find a combination of stars, role players and worker bees. No team has a roster of pro bowlers. No team has a roster of highest paid players at their positions.

But SB teams do have star players who consider the impact of their deals on their teams. They don't want to ruin their teams at contract time.

I want Byrd. Losing Byrd would hurt. But Byrd is not a player to flush your cap for. If Byrd, through Parker's influence or not, is more worried about that extra million than how good the Bills are, then I question his value to the team.

PTR

perfectly said PTR

It wouldn't surprise me to see Byrd pull a Peters (ahem) and sit-out until just a few days before the season starts. That will give the younger guys (Aaron Williams, Duke Williams, Jonathan Meeks, Mana Silva, etc.) a chance to show what they can do at FS.

I still think he is on the team this year.With it being all too quiet, I just don't see it playing out another play. The only other way is if he isn't on the roster is we trade him for a high draft pick. And right now, he is allowed to talk with other teams.... And it seems that no team has reached out to him, and it also appears he hasn't reached out to any teams. If another team signs him as is, they lose two first rounders. But I think teams can talk to us to trade him for a lesser amount, if he forced the issue. but they are being too quiet on both sides.

Personally, I think they are just negoiating and are going to hold out until that final day in july when it is the last day to do an extension. I think a deal gets done by the deadline.

PTR

While I think this is fairly well-stated, I think Byrd is potentially a more important player than Mario Williams in this defense. If he gets the contract he is likely looking for, he would earn half of MW's salary, and that's if either of them even play out the length of the contract. Think about this for a minute.

I don't think it's as simple, either, as to whether or not Byrd cares about that extra million more than he cares about the team. I am sure that every single one of his teammates would like to see him get the best deal possible, as lucrative deal precedents are good for all players. It's not like he has not earned this, that he's a guy like Maybin coming in on a big time rookie salary after having held out. Byrd had a decent, not outlandish rookie contract and has earned a big payday.

Levitre did the same and moved on. The Bills do have a number of guys to think about in the future and I hope that part of their tactic will be to get Byrd to see the big picture including Wood (who has never been as healthy as Byrd, through no fault of his own), Spiller (who took time that Byrd didn't require to get up to "pro" speed) and these other guys they want to keep together. But if $8MM will get it done when they sit $2MM apart, wouldn't it be a giant shame for them not to come to an agreement? Hopefully both sides will budge to where they need to go.

I'll add that it's often the guaranteed money that is a sticking point in these negotiations. Again, they gave Mario lots of it. But what do you do for your own guys who have already given you so much? Do you reward them? I think you should.

PS: I wasn't devastated when we lost Peters. He was long gone by that point. They really needed to have come to an agreement a year earlier when a good-faith bargain was possible. Given how acrimonious the situation was, the haul they received in return was pretty good, and I like trading an All-Pro LT with some injury concerns for the possibility of a true leader on the OL at center. It hasn't quite worked out to plan for either side, but I think it's a fairer trade than most see it to be. To me, though, it's more of a situation where the Bills like to exhaust the value out of great cheap finds, and hope they can continue to have that combo of good fortune and foresight.

I still think he is on the team this year.With it being all too quiet, I just don't see it playing out another play. The only other way is if he isn't on the roster is we trade him for a high draft pick. And right now, he is allowed to talk with other teams.... And it seems that no team has reached out to him, and it also appears he hasn't reached out to any teams. If another team signs him as is, they lose two first rounders. But I think teams can talk to us to trade him for a lesser amount, if he forced the issue. but they are being too quiet on both sides.

Personally, I think they are just negoiating and are going to hold out until that final day in july when it is the last day to do an extension. I think a deal gets done by the deadline.

love your optimism. But I think him negotiating with other teams (just because its quiet doesn't mean it isn't happening) is whats going to end this. I don't think anyone gives up 2 first rounders. But I do think someone makes a deal for a 1st or 2nd and some. Like a 1st and. 4th or 5th, or a 2nd and 3rd or 4th.

While I think this is fairly well-stated, I think Byrd is potentially a more important player than Mario Williams in this defense. ...

With all due respect and with also realizing how Pettine likes to use his safeties historically, I just can't agree with this. I haven't seen how he would line Byrd up, but I'd be surprised if he wasn't used like he used Ed Reed in Baltimore; a centerfield playmaker for the most part. And while he loves to use his SS with his LBs on overload blitzes, I'd be surprised if he preferred Byrd in that role given Byrds playmaking ability. But neither safety role would be considered more important than his best pass-rushing DE/OLB. Indeed, it just may turn out that BECAUSE Pettine has a Mario Williams that he might be more willing to see how a younger player does should Byrd opt to sit out (which I highly doubt). Losing Williams would be more harmful to the defense given the importance of pressuring the passer.

GO BILLS!!!