Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

By all accounts the Bills reached by selecting Manuel at 16. Clearly need took priority over value. Could they have improved the team in another area by making a different selection and waiting to take Manuel in round 2 risking that somebody else might select him? Sure, but I suspect they evaluated the risk of waiting and decided to pull the trigger on the pick given the circumstances. Now we have to wait and see if Manuel becomes the 'franchise QB' that the front office and coaching staff is expecting. If he does then it will not matter in a couple years where he was selected. If he turns out to be a bust or just average then we can look back at the 1st round here as another example of why the Bills have missed the playoffs 13 straight seasons.

The kid has the intelligence, physical, and leadership skills to perform at a high level as an NFL quarterback. Add to that a good attitude and a willingness to work and learn, with no apparent baggage, along with what sounds like a stable family environment, and you get the kind of player teams look for.

I don't worry what the experts say because if you do what they think is right then you get a good grade but if you don't then you don't get a good grade. And given the pre-draft process the BIlls did a pretty thorough examination of the potential candidates before making their decision.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why Jamarcus Russell, a top pick rather, than Kyle Boller who was mid first round?

even at his worst i think we are looking at a josh freeman type player. Big, athletic, can make all the throws, but inconsistent. at best, freeman can be a great qb (look at the 8 games to end 2011(i think it was?)) and he could look big ben-esque....

jamarcus has no place in this talk.

My second favorite QB in the draft. I was a bit concerned with his penchant to pull the ball down and run after his second read, but if Marrone and Co. think that is a correctable habit then he was the most athletic QB of the bunch. I was never sold on Gino, but who knows maybe he comes into the league with such a chip on his shoulder that he tears it up. My favorite QBs in the later rounds would have been Zac Dysert or Matt Scott (raw, but some room to grow).

The thing the Bills did best in this draft was simply getting more picks. They have a lot of holes to fill and not enough picks to do it.

What kills me is that prior to the draft I read so many posts where people said that if you think the guy you want will be your franchise QB then draft him at 8 and stop waiting around.

The Bills managed to trade down, get extra picks and STILL got the player they think will be their franchise QB and yet people are still saying it was too high to draft him.

I don’t get it

CBF

Perfect.

Let me add, working on his Masters, 23 years old, respectful, and a well spoken young man. Huge ceiling, and he has 5 months plus the extra OTAs because of a new staff. This kid is going to surprise people, and quick.

Get him a few tools, TE and WR and let them all grow together.

Good post. Especially the idea of surrounding him with a few weapons and letting them grow together. Having CJ, Freddie (even in a limited role), and SJ are a good start.

GO BILLS!!!

I like the trade down and I applaud this pick for a number of reasons. Everyone expected Nassib. Had the Bills selected Nassib, I have no doubts that he would be the day 1 starter whether he was ready or not. Marrone would not have him sitting on the bench. Had they stayed at #8 and taken Geno Smith, he certainly would have been the immediate starter. How rarely is a top-10 pick not an immediate starter for their team, especially with QB's? To boot, there have been questions about Smith's arm strength and being a bit soft. I'm guessing that's why he wasn't picked in the first round at all. Manuel has the physical attributes needed to play. He can learn a bit from Kolb, who's trying to restart his career. I hope they both have success. Would be a nice problem to have for a change to have 2 good QB's.

What kills me is that prior to the draft I read so many posts where people said that if you think the guy you want will be your franchise QB then draft him at 8 and stop waiting around.

The Bills managed to trade down, get extra picks and STILL got the player they think will be their franchise QB and yet people are still saying it was too high to draft him.

I don’t get it

CBF

yea... they had a guy they wanted and they got him. at qb, i think you can give a little leeway to them for pulling the trigger early. isnt waiting how we missed out on so many guys the board wanted?

How do you know that? The Bills obviously had Manuel rated the highest. So why, just because other teams didn't take other players, are you sure Manuel would not have been taken?

The thinking that "he still would have been there later" when discussing a quarterback is a fool's game to me. If you like a quarterback so much that he's the one you want, then go freaking get him. You're either right or you're wrong and where you pick him means nothing. The only reasons I can imagine to "wait and hope he's still there" is (1) you care what other people have to say about your pick and (2) you think you're going to save a few schneckles by letting him drop.

There is no world where either of those options are worth the wait if he's your guy. I can see it for an O lineman, or even a receiver, but quarterback? If your guy is there, go get him.

Edited by LABillzFan

I don’t get it

CBF

Excellent point here. They got their guy and they got extra picks. What's not to like here? You can say it should have been a different QB, but we won't know that until they start making the plays. I've been happy with the Bills first round selections for the last 3 years and this makes 4. Let's see what they address in the next round. Should be fun!

I like the Pick EJ Manuel is a good QB & a Great Kid I just don't the pick at 16 we could have Drafted Tavon Austin & Still got Manuel we only got a 2nd & 7th round pick & we moved down from 8th & 71 where the Patriots traded the 29th pick (basically a 2nd Round Pick) for a 2,3,4 & 7th round pick Buddy Nix got played by the Rams

I don’t get it

CBF

Well said. I was not one of the guys who thought we should pick a QB at 8, but I love that they were able to trade down and get the guy they wanted while acquiring extra picks.

There was no reason to push our luck. Since our pick, I have read enough to know that Philly, Cleveland, and some others really liked EJ. Why trade back to the end of the first round and risk Chip Kelly (who loves EJ) trading ahead of you.

I didn't know where else to put this, but I just read James Walkers EJ Manual article...

So I wrote him...

Look, I would like to just say "you suck" but that would not get my point across.

Your coverage of the AFCE has been weak. Your focus has been on the Jets and Patriots a little too much - they have ESPN NY and ESPN Boston - let those folks 24/7 the teams. Your articles have mostly consisted of regurgitated AP stories and drabble that is no different then Bleacher Report.

Speak with intellect, tell someone how EJ Manual will do fairing against Belichek. Do not quote McShay - he's a douche. Tell us what the Jets are going to do with their two new defensive toys. How is Belicheck going to convert his picks to defensive backs he desperately needs? What the hell did Miami do? What was the thinking there?

God, ESPN has gone to a whole new level of suck. I can only hope ya'll get Tebows balls out of your mouth this summer and cover some football. Real men want sports. Psies want this TMZ bullsht you shove down viewers throats. Thank God NFLN is available now...

Seriously, step up your game.

If tonight's picks go like I think, Manuel certainly wasn't lasting to 41.

Odds are that Manuel busts, anyone that watched him at FSU knows he has to improve immensely and learn how to run an offense. Good luck, Marrone. But, I can't fault the Bills for finally addressing the QB position, and recognizing value for once.

By all accounts the Bills reached by selecting Manuel at 16. Clearly need took priority over value. Could they have improved the team in another area by making a different selection and waiting to take Manuel in round 2 risking that somebody else might select him? Sure, but I suspect they evaluated the risk of waiting and decided to pull the trigger on the pick given the circumstances. Now we have to wait and see if Manuel becomes the 'franchise QB' that the front office and coaching staff is expecting. If he does then it will not matter in a couple years where he was selected. If he turns out to be a bust or just average then we can look back at the 1st round here as another example of why the Bills have missed the playoffs 13 straight seasons.

The kid has the intelligence, physical, and leadership skills to perform at a high level as an NFL quarterback. Add to that a good attitude and a willingness to work and learn, with no apparent baggage, along with what sounds like a stable family environment, and you get the kind of player teams look for.

I don't worry what the experts say because if you do what they think is right then you get a good grade but if you don't then you don't get a good grade. And given the pre-draft process the BIlls did a pretty thorough examination of the potential candidates before making their decision.

I don't consider it a reach at #16, even if you think the player could be available #17-#32. They got an extra second rounder by trading down, and while they probably could have traded back further, it also could have turned on them and had them lose the quarterback they want. I'm completely fine with the draft pick strategy as a result of using their #8 pick to get their top QB and a seventh round pick.

What this all comes down to is whether they picked the right top QB. Manuel is the one I have seen play the least, but as I read more I am encouraged. We don't need an Andrew Luck day 1 QB thrown to the wolves with Kolb and TJax, so he can play when ready and take time to learn.

My biggest worry with him, and I hope the scouts and coaching staff knows much better than I do, is the things that people talk about over and over with him are the Jamarcus Russel/Ryan Leaf/Jeff George qualities of arm and athletic ability.

My top two qualities I wanted in this draft were #1 Intermediate Accuracy (without which you aren't a viable QB no matter what other qualities you have), and #2 Decision Making (which makes your #1 useful). These are the Joe Montana/Tom Brady/Drew Brees qualities, and you have to hit on both of these to be successful. If you add in rocket arm or scrambling ability, all the better, but only as additions, not as primary abilities.

I am confident and hopeful that he will be excellent at both of these, and able to add to it his great physical tools, hopefully some leadership, etc. But on draft day I think that someone like Barkley had the edge in each of the top two items that matter, so it is up to Manuel and the coaches to prove he can excel in these things and combine his other strengths into a dynamic quarterback.

One positive that I think people have mentioned with taking the upside risk is that while the short term goal is getting back to the playoffs, the real goal is winning a Super Bowl (we went to four, but it was never quite right without the ring), and taking a little risk on upside over certainty and polish is probably a wise move in maximizing our chances of winning the big one.

But this will all come down to field vision and decision making at NFL speed (I think his intermediate accuracy will be fine), and the day after the draft I have no idea what to realistically expect.

He seems genuinely excited to play here. I know it's 101 PR, but for once I'd like some stars that don't completely hate Buffalo.

I know exactly what you mean, we've spent so much money and picks on the defense in the last couple years, one more draft isn't gonna "fix" it, I'd rather have an offense oriented draft year. Hopefully Pettine can bring some magic to the D and accentuate them.. As stupid as it sounds, I'd rather watch a 38-35 win than a 9-6 win.

Hunter and Ertz would be way to go at WR and TE... i LOVE Kielse but think he can be had in 3rd and maybe go D with other 2nd rounder.

But WR is a must with 1 of our 2 2nd round selections

Excellent quick interview. EJ sounds like a fairly smart kid. Really like the attitude though about the draft in that he said he would have come back had he not been drafted in the first round. Class act! Liking this pick and move more and more.