Falcons trying to trade up in the NFL draft

papazoid

The offer would have to be huge for it to be worth it for Buffalo - consider, Atlanta's 1st this year might as well be a second, and their 2nd might as well be a 3rd. Chances are the same will apply next year. I don't know if they have enough ammunition for a realistic trade.

Yes but when Johnny Football declares for the draft next year we will have 2 firsts we could use to help trade up to get him

CBF

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes but when Johnny Football declares for the draft next year we will have 2 firsts we could use to help trade up to get him

CBF

yet, if johnny football is half the prospect you think he is - if he is, why would any team at the top of the draft pass on him?

The Falcons really coveted a receiver in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft and they were eager to move up from the 27th spot. It was a blockbuster deal. In exchange for getting the sixth pick (so they moved up 21 spots), Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks that year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012. NOTE:(they would move up 22 spots this year if they traded with buffalo, from 30th to 8th).

The talk is the Falcons want a big impact player for the D.

Milliner was thrown around a lot today by Dave Archer on sports talk. Archer is an old Falcons QB and calls the Falcons games on local radio. He is very tight with the franchise.

I just do not know if Milliner will still be there at 8. If he is i expect the Bills will have a decision to make.

Milliner was thrown around a lot today by Dave Archer on sports talk. Archer is an old Falcons QB and calls the Falcons games on local radio. He is very tight with the franchise.

I just do not know if Milliner will still be there at 8. If he is i expect the Bills will have a decision to make.

I would be beyond shocked if Milliner gets through Detroit and Cleveland. It's almost universally thought that he'll be gone by 6.

Your argument neglects the idea that the Falcons already had every other component of a successful offense in place: franchise QB, pro bowl RB, pro bowl #1 WR, hall of fame TE, & solid offensive line.

Makes it pretty easy to make such an investment; a team that doesn't have those elements wouldn't be wise to invest 5 draft picks (2 1st rounders) in a single WR.

First off, I'm not arguing anything. Not neglecting anything either as i didn't feel the need to discuss the Falcons entire personnel status in that post. Just merely pointing out that the Falcons made a blockbuster trade for a WR because they saw the need for having two top WR's!

Which was an argument we got into a while back, which you ran away from once I pointed out that how much the Falcons gave up for one WR. I understood back then, and now, that the Falcons thought they needed that other top WR to help take coverages away from White as a high priority. You kept arguing that teams don't need two top WR's, period!

The Falcons O line, while very good, is not great, and could have used some upgrades to that line over a WR. The fact that they recently released RT Clabo proves that.

Easy, I don't think so! A new young GM put his entire career on a move like that if it doesn't pan out. Not to mention the Falcons GM having the temerity, and scouting acumen to pull off a trade like that for a just a single WR. Especially an unproven college player to be drafted. I don't think I can ever remember a team giving up that many draft picks for a WR in the draft.

I agree with ya on the offensive line strength as evidenced by my Big Board:

safest and surest picks in the draft:

#1- Luke Joeckel

#2- Chance Womack

#3- Eric Fisher

#4- Dee Milliner

#5- Jonathan Cooper

#6- Lane Johnson

I also agree on those players as just about can't miss. Although, I would add Alabama OT Fluker to that list. The Bills should be looking at one or all of those top 5 linemen along with DJ Fluker. the guy is a beast.

"Fluker is universally considered a first-round talent, but questions about his athleticism have some projecting him as a guard. Checking in at 6-foot-5, Fluker has shed 16 pounds from his Senior Bowl weight of 355. According to NBC Sports' Ross Tucker, at least one team picking in the top-ten "loves" Fluker."

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/259366/mort-alabama-rt-dj-fluker-a-true-riser?rw=1

But, like I said earlier in this post just knowing the past draft history of this team over the last decade, and 3 year history of Buddy Nix drafts. I feel they will draft that one DB, if he is there. Besides, the Bills didn't even bring in an O linemen for a visit. Figures :doh:

also interesting to note.....Cleveland is again sitting at #6, just as they were in 2011.

I would be all for it, the Bills have so many needs would say their 1st this year (Duh) 1st next year, 2nd this year, and a 5th this year and they can trade up from 30 to 8. I would love for the Bills to trade down to 13 and get an extra 3rd and 6th from Tampa and then trade down with the Falcons for their 1st this and next year plus a third.

I know its highly unlikely the Bills could get the 30th, 60th, and 77th picks plus a 1st next year and have 5 picks in the first 77 this year plus net additional late rounders and a 1st in their back pocket next year. But its pre draft so why not dream?

Edited by billsfan89

All the way to 30 is a long way to drop back, but it would be enticing. My guess is they want an OT or a DE.

And blue chip players for both that position will be gone by #8. They would need to get that Cleveland or Arizona pick.

I would be beyond shocked if Milliner gets through Detroit and Cleveland. It's almost universally thought that he'll be gone by 6.

That is what i think too. The Falcons also need a pass rusher big time. Not sure if one would still be sitting there worth what the Falcons would have to give up?

also interesting to note.....Cleveland is again sitting at #6, just as they were in 2011.

Just the Bills luck.

That is what i think too. The Falcons also need a pass rusher big time. Not sure if one would still be sitting there worth what the Falcons would have to give up?

They need a young pass rusher for sure although I think Osi is gonna have a good year for them.

If they could get someone to complement him, that would be great for them.

They need a young pass rusher for sure although I think Osi is gonna have a good year for them.

That or replace the corners they lost (2 of top 3 gone in offseason, and a position they clearly highly value carrying Asante, grimes and Robinson last year. I'd bet they have really good reads on milliner and Jarvis and its one of those two. The corner is my money but an edge rusher from Georgia would be a natural tie and a guy they could feel they have very good info on.

First off, I'm not arguing anything. Not neglecting anything either as i didn't feel the need to discuss the Falcons entire personnel status in that post. Just merely pointing out that the Falcons made a blockbuster trade for a WR because they saw the need for having two top WR's!

Which was an argument we got into a while back, which you ran away from once I pointed out that how much the Falcons gave up for one WR. I understood back then, and now, that the Falcons thought they needed that other top WR to help take coverages away from White as a high priority. You kept arguing that teams don't need two top WR's, period!

The Falcons O line, while very good, is not great, and could have used some upgrades to that line over a WR. The fact that they recently released RT Clabo proves that.

Easy, I don't think so! A new young GM put his entire career on a move like that if it doesn't pan out. Not to mention the Falcons GM having the temerity, and scouting acumen to pull off a trade like that for a just a single WR. Especially an unproven college player to be drafted. I don't think I can ever remember a team giving up that many draft picks for a WR in the draft.

Your memory is extremely foggy if you think I've ever run from an argument, let alone that one.

And yes, when you have a team on the cusp, it makes it easy (at least by comparison with other teams) to identify the one area that can improve an already solid unit and make the move to get it. Nobody said it wasn't a risk, but the fact that they had success already certainly mitigates that risk.

My point in our discussion a while back still holds: there are far, far more important pieces to putting together a winning team than a #2 WR. As Atlanta showed, it's something you focus on when literally everything else is in place first. I'm just not sure how you can disagree with that. If your argument is that their OL could have been better, well, I'm sorry, but I find that to be a poor assessment. There's no such thing as a perfect unit in the game of football...everything on every team could be better.

But back to the subject at hand...it appears that Atlanta is once again ready to find the one missing piece that would put them over the top, although this time it's on the defensive side of the ball. Their LBs and safety tandem are very solid, so I'd be astounded if it weren't either a CB or a pass rusher that they covet, which means that they're likely trying to move inside the top 12 to get Milliner/Rhodes or Ansah/Mingo/Jones. Although I initially suspected that the signing of Osi Umenyiora makes pass rusher less of a priority, they did lose both John Abraham and Lawrence Sidbury in free agency, so that leaves them without a reliable option behind Osi and Kroy Biermann.

One interesting dynamic would be if a guy like Mingo falls to the 15 slot, would New Orleans move back to recoup the 2nd round pick they lost in the bounty scandal, even if it meant giving a divisional rival a player they felt could be the final piece? I'll be watching that one closely.

Two years ago, the Falcons made no secret in the days before the draft that they were looking to trade up to get a wide receiver, and they would eventually send two first-round picks, a second-round pick and two fourth-round picks to Cleveland so that they could draft Julio Jones sixth overall. That worked well enough that the Falcons are now trying to move up again.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated reports that the Falcons are trying to trade up from their current first-round pick, which is No. 30 overall. King said he doesn't know which player or players the Falcons are targeting, but they apparently like someone whom they expect to be off the board before No. 30 overall.

http://profootballta...-the-nfl-draft/

I would talk to them Nassib will be there at 30. this is a great draft for low firsts and second round picks especially 2nd rounders in the top half of the round.

The offer would have to be huge for it to be worth it for Buffalo - consider, Atlanta's 1st this year might as well be a second, and their 2nd might as well be a 3rd. Chances are the same will apply next year. I don't know if they have enough ammunition for a realistic trade.

If Atlanta were offering their first this year and next, plus a second this year, there would be a number of teams in the top ten in this draft lined up to take it, including Cleveland. If that offer is on the table, I think Buffalo will lose out to one of the teams drafting earlier. On the other hand, the trade would likely not take place until draft day, and would hinge on who is still left on the board.

Yes they do big time. My hope is one of the stud defensive play makers slips to the Bills and the Falcons want to jump up so big.

On a side note- the thought is the Falcons may wait till after the draft and see how things shake out and bring Abraham back. Ryan should have a new contract done by June. This could free up the $2-3mil to bring Abraham back. The Falcons are very much treating this as a Super Bowl or bust year.