Falcons trying to trade up in the NFL draft

papazoid

Two years ago, the Falcons made no secret in the days before the draft that they were looking to trade up to get a wide receiver, and they would eventually send two first-round picks, a second-round pick and two fourth-round picks to Cleveland so that they could draft Julio Jones sixth overall. That worked well enough that the Falcons are now trying to move up again.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated reports that the Falcons are trying to trade up from their current first-round pick, which is No. 30 overall. King said he doesn’t know which player or players the Falcons are targeting, but they apparently like someone whom they expect to be off the board before No. 30 overall.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/17/falcons-trying-to-trade-up-in-the-nfl-draft/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a team with a #8 they can have for two firsts, a second, and two fourths.

This!!! That would solve pretty much everyone's wishes (trade down, extra 2nd this year, another 1st next year, not reaching on a QB at 8, more picks in this draft, moving ahead of the teams in the early 2nd that like QB). Is there anything on here that I am forgetting???

I know a team with a #8 they can have for two firsts, a second, and two fourths.

All the way to 30 is a long way to drop back, but it would be enticing. My guess is they want an OT or a DE.

This!!! That would solve pretty much everyone's wishes (trade down, extra 2nd this year, another 1st next year, not reaching on a QB at 8, more picks in this draft, moving ahead of the teams in the early 2nd that like QB). Is there anything on here that I am forgetting???

Id be very happy! Then id pray they have major injuries and crap the bed so that first round pick is even better!

in another trade thread, i threw out there, trading with TB at #13, get a couple 3rds(?) then take #13 and trade that to ATL for a 2nd and 3rd(?)

All the way to 30 is a long way to drop back, but it would be enticing. My guess is they want an OT or a DE.

The offer would have to be huge for it to be worth it for Buffalo - consider, Atlanta's 1st this year might as well be a second, and their 2nd might as well be a 3rd. Chances are the same will apply next year. I don't know if they have enough ammunition for a realistic trade.

The offer would have to be huge for it to be worth it for Buffalo - consider, Atlanta's 1st this year might as well be a second, and their 2nd might as well be a 3rd. Chances are the same will apply next year. I don't know if they have enough ammunition for a realistic trade.

Their 1st and 2nd this year, plus next year's 1st would probably get it done.

That said, I'm on the record as being against a trade-down; I want a top 10 talent.

Their 1st and 2nd this year, plus next year's 1st would probably get it done.

That said, I'm on the record as being against a trade-down; I want a top 10 talent.

Sadly, in 53 years of drafting, the Bills have a better record percentage of drafting a player after pick 14 in the first round.

It's on like a MoFo??

(I put a question mark because even though a trade down excites me, I'm not sure if I am using this exp<b></b>ression in the right context)

Same here

geno would be the only place id disagree.

That wouldn't even come close to covering it, if I'm reading this chart correctly: http://walterfootbal.../draftchart.php

That chart is antiquated and is only used by a handful of teams. I know that SB Nation did an analysis of the trade chart from last year's top 2 rounds:

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/3/23/4138374/2013-nfl-draft-trade-value-chart-still-relevant

The 2011 draft showed a greater variance in the value of trades.

Anyway, the point is that the draft chart isn't a hard and fast rule, especially in a draft like this year's, in which many teams want to move down for a better perceived value.

I honestly believe 2 1's and a 2 would get it done.

in another trade thread, i threw out there, trading with TB at #13, get a couple 3rds(?) then take #13 and trade that to ATL for a 2nd and 3rd(?)

Yep I like that idea too, assuming who the Falcons want will be there at 13. Sounds like they might be trying to get Milner so they will need to be in the top 10 for sure though

That chart is antiquated and is only used by a handful of teams. I know that SB Nation did an analysis of the trade chart from last year's top 2 rounds:

http://www.bloggingt...-still-relevant

The 2011 draft showed a greater variance in the value of trades.

Anyway, the point is that the draft chart isn't a hard and fast rule, especially in a draft like this year's, in which many teams want to move down for a better perceived value.

I honestly believe 2 1's and a 2 would get it done.

You might be right. But when we only have 6 draft picks and are a franchise in transition, I don't like the thought of sacrificing one of our 6 picks this year for compensation NEXT year...

You might be right. But when we only have 6 draft picks and are a franchise in transition, I don't like the thought of sacrificing one of our 6 picks this year for compensation NEXT year...

Well, you'd still be getting an extra 2nd rounder this year as well, so that would make 7 this year, plus 8 next year (including 2 first-rounders).