Falcons trying to trade up in the NFL draft

papazoid

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's give them our 8 for their 30 plus their 2nd round pick plus next year's first and second and then we can use our extra picks to trade back up again lol.

But seriously if playmakers like Milner, Patterson, or Tavon Austin are still there at #8 then you know our pick is going to get quite valuable to some of those teams who pick in the 20's. I think we have an opportunity to trade back and pick up a few extra picks and still get Nassib!

teams probably spend a disproportionate amount of time on the top picks. to move down to 8, and basically throw all that away in that now none of your top 20 potions are possible, would be very hard to do i'd imagine. by now they probably all have their heart set on someone, or at least a few guys.

i think they'd trade down for sure, but down to 30 might scare them off... especially if they do have eyes set on a QB.

Way too far down for us

Who specifically are you worried won't be there at 30? Nassib? Barkley? Manuel? Patterson? Ogletree? These are all names that I see mentioned at 8 and I think that you will have a good shot at some of these guys at 30. Not to mention you will have some ammo to trade up a few spots from here.

Way too far down for us

If the package is big enough, you take it and then trade back up 5 or 10 spots for EJ Manuel. The net should still be positive.

Or.....what HE said above....

Edited by JPS

If the package is big enough, you take it and then trade back up 5 or 10 spots for EJ Manuel. The net should still be positive.

Or.....what HE said above....

EJ Manuel was on the Dan Patrick show and he said he feels very confident he will go in Round 1 to the Eagles, Bills, or Jets

Pro football talk tweeted it earlier. He said that he felt, "very confident" about the Bills. http://profootballta...trong-interest/

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally...

I'd love him at #8...quarterbacks with a penchant for winning are invaluable. Quaterbacks who won four bowl games during their college tenure are about as rare as they get. I don't care so much about a QB's eyes, his arm, his legs, his presence, his blah blah blah. Give me a winner. And given what EJ does have going on in the measurables department...well, there you have it.

The Falcons really coveted a receiver in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft and they were eager to move up from the 27th spot. It was a blockbuster deal. In exchange for getting the sixth pick (so they moved up 21 spots), Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks that year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012. NOTE:(they would move up 22 spots this year if they traded with buffalo, from 30th to 8th).

I'd like a trade down scenario where we could get Manuel.. I like him because I think his upside is the highest and he seems like the least "crapped on" QB in this draft.. Plus I haven't seen him play a lot so he's got to be good right!

I'd like a trade down scenario where we could get Manuel.. I like him because I think his upside is the highest and he seems like the least "crapped on" QB in this draft.. Plus I haven't seen him play a lot so he's got to be good right!

I agree :thumbsup:

The Falcons really coveted a receiver in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft and they were eager to move up from the 27th spot. It was a blockbuster deal. In exchange for getting the sixth pick (so they moved up 21 spots), Atlanta gave the Browns five -- five! -- draft picks: their 1st- (27th overall), second- (59th) and fourth-round (124th) picks that year and their first- and fourth-round picks in 2012. NOTE:(they would move up 22 spots this year if they traded with buffalo, from 30th to 8th).

I've pointed this out several times in this forum as to why a top second WR is so important to an offense as the Falcons already had a top WR in Roddy White and a top TE in Tony Gonzalaz. Most fans here just don't get the importance of that second WR. Look what the Falcons gave up for a WR. That kind of trade usually only happens for a QB. The Falcons have an awesome scouting dept, unlike the Buffalo Bills.

My take is the Falcons are hot for an OT after releasing RT Tyson Clabo. They are possibly looking very hard at Alabama RT DJ Fluker for that position. Because Fluker will be gone long before the 30th pick. But then again they could very well be after one of the top 3 OTs, Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson or even OG Chance Warmack to build that O line to protect Matt Ryan.

This is the year to draft an O linemen for sure, and not a QB in the first round, 4 great OT's and 2 great OG's. While almost every NFL needs an upgrade in the O line. Leave to the Bills to draft some other position this year...another DB most likely. :death:

I've pointed this out several times in this forum as to why a top second WR is so important to an offense as the Falcons already had a top WR in Roddy White and a top TE in Tony Gonzalaz. Most fans here just don't get the importance of that second WR. Look what the Falcons gave up for a WR. That kind of trade usually only happens for a QB. The Falcons have an awesome scouting dept, unlike the Buffalo Bills.

My take is the Falcons are hot for an OT after releasing RT Tyson Clabo. They are possibly looking very hard at Alabama RT DJ Fluker for that position. Because Fluker will be gone long before the 30th pick. But then again they could very well be after one of the top 3 OTs, Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson or even OG Chance Warmack to build that O line to protect Matt Ryan.

This is the year to draft an O linemen for sure, and not a QB in the first round, 4 great OT's and 2 great OG's. While almost every NFL needs an upgrade in the O line. Leave to the Bills to draft some other position this year...another DB most likely. :death:

Your argument neglects the idea that the Falcons already had every other component of a successful offense in place: franchise QB, pro bowl RB, pro bowl #1 WR, hall of fame TE, & solid offensive line.

Makes it pretty easy to make such an investment; a team that doesn't have those elements wouldn't be wise to invest 5 draft picks (2 1st rounders) in a single WR.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally...

I'd love him at #8...quarterbacks with a penchant for winning are invaluable. Quaterbacks who won four bowl games during their college tenure are about as rare as they get. I don't care so much about a QB's eyes, his arm, his legs, his presence, his blah blah blah. Give me a winner. And given what EJ does have going on in the measurables department...well, there you have it.

I agree, when ever Manuel's name is mentioned it is said he has the most upside. Isn't that what coaches are for? Take a good player and make him great?

I agree with ya on the offensive line strength as evidenced by my Big Board:

safest and surest picks in the draft:

#1- Luke Joeckel

#2- Chance Womack

#3- Eric Fisher

#4- Dee Milliner

#5- Jonathan Cooper

#6- Lane Johnson