Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

Mayock sees Geno the way I see him and said He wouldn't draft Smith in the top 20.

I do agree with Mayock that a scout likely gave Nawrocki misleading information.

One red flag I see with this whole situation is that Geno Smith actually responded. If its off the wall and not true why would you feel the need to put it to bed so quickly. The fact that a player is that easily effected by someone in the media is not good.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mayock sees Geno the way I see him and said He wouldn't draft Smith in the top 20.

I do agree with Mayock that a scout likely gave Nawrocki misleading information.

One red flag I see with this whole situation is that Geno Smith actually responded. If its off the wall and not true why would you feel the need to put it to bed so quickly. The fact that a player is that easily effected by someone in the media is not good.

Because Nawrocki is spouting Blatant lies trying to Assassinate his character.

Mike Mayock swears Nawrocki is a stand-up guy but hints that maybe he was misled about Geno by a scout.

A lot of these draft gurus talk to scouts to get their info. But scouts aren't necessarily motivated to speak the truth. If your team wants a guy, it's to your advantage to spread bad information about him. It's crappy and unethical, but it happens.

Mayock's comments are here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156971/article/mike-mayock-defends-writer-of-geno-smith-critique

Good find. Thanks.

Mayock on Geno Smith, April 4th

“It’s absolutely the football side,” Mayock said on Path to the Draft. “Talk about the football issues: First of all, ball security, ties into the pocket awareness. Whatever that number is, 30, 32 fumbles in his career, he has no awareness of the rush surrounding him. So his pocket awareness — five sacks in the first half against Texas, three of them he could have gotten rid of the football easily, and one of them he was stripped of the football in the end zone for a touchdown. There’s no internal clock, there’s no feel.”

“Deep ball accuracy: I put a reel together of six to eight throws that should have been touchdowns, wide open vertical guys that he overthrew or underthrew,” Mayock said. “He stares down receivers and he throws the football late, so there’s a lack of anticipation and timing.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/04/on-field-issues-are-bigger-concern-than-work-ethic-for-geno-smith/

I simply don't like Smith because what he has done in games that his team got behind in, he fell on his face! Winners rise up and take control, and not roam the sidelines looking dejected.

clearing your name of a lie is a bad thing now? is this you Nawrocki? another imaginary kink in Geno's chain has been added. see how this works?

I think I would like to see the Bills take a QB in round 2. I wouldnt mind if they didnt pan out if they are drafted in rounds 2+.

I would rather get an impact player at 8.

CBF

Yep...that's where I'm at...that No. 8 pick has to be an impact guy.

I truly believe there will be QBs (yes, plural) that get picked on day 2 of this year's draft that go on to have successful NFL careers, so let's get one of those guys. My prime candidates are Manuel, Wilson, and Nassib...although I have a feeling one of them (Manuel?) will sneak into the end of the first round.

Mike Mayock swears Nawrocki is a stand-up guy but hints that maybe he was misled about Geno by a scout.

A lot of these draft gurus talk to scouts to get their info. But scouts aren't necessarily motivated to speak the truth. If your team wants a guy, it's to your advantage to spread bad information about him. It's crappy and unethical, but it happens.

Mayock's comments are here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156971/article/mike-mayock-defends-writer-of-geno-smith-critique

You mean like calling a tackle a guard so he falls?

Seems like something that might even be coming from us. Heck, even the cam stuff would've made sense from us

You mean like calling a tackle a guard so he falls?

Seems like something that might even be coming from us. Heck, even the cam stuff would've made sense from us

Yeah, like calling a tackle a guard! And you could be right about the Bills as the source of the negative (and apparently false) Geno stuff.

I was once an army officer where I learned the Honor Code: "An officer will not lie, cheat or steal; nor tolerate those who do." The army took honor & integrity seriously. But it didn't apply to the enemy. A typical Operations Order included a "Deception Plan" - our attempt to mislead the enemy so they wouldn't guess our true intentions. Nix may operate under a similar ethic and false comments about Glenn and Geno might be part of his "Deception Plan."

clearing your name of a lie is a bad thing now? is this you Nawrocki? another imaginary kink in Geno's chain has been added. see how this works?

Actions speak louder than words my friend. A professional should just laugh the newspapers off and prove himself on the field. It shows weakness to respond to Nawrocki.

Actions speak louder than words my friend. A professional should just laugh the newspapers off and prove himself on the field. It shows weakness to respond to Nawrocki.

That's all well and good, if he has a chance to show it before the biggest day of his life. When it could cost him millions (totally unlikely any nfl team listened to NN, but still....) I think he's allowed to defend himself using his past actions.

This isn't a professional. He is a KID! At 22 years old if someone nationally assasinated my character with nothing but lies I'm not letting that slide. Hell at 31 I'm not letting that slide. His accusations were completely baseless and contrary to EVERY other report. Let alone the idea that this could cost him literally millions of dollars. How does it show weakness to stand up for yourself? He is in the middle of the biggest job interview of his life and some guy starts taking pot shots at him without ever meeting him. He should just let that slide. I don't follow your "logic" at all.

Yep...that's where I'm at...that No. 8 pick has to be an impact guy.

I truly believe there will be QBs (yes, plural) that get picked on day 2 of this year's draft that go on to have successful NFL careers, so let's get one of those guys. My prime candidates are Manuel, Wilson, and Nassib...although I have a feeling one of them (Manuel?) will sneak into the end of the first round.

I agree.

If you draft a QB in the top 10, it's expected that not only is he your starting QB but also your franchise QB.

I would have no problem taking a QB in rounds 2-4 but the Bills cant miss on the #8 pick this year.

CBF

I'm starting to worry about the fumbling issue and pocket presence with him. #8 is too high. Since all these guys are a significant risk, I'd much rather draft a blue chip guy at a position of need, and then try to trade up to late, late first or early second, if necessary, to get one of the Manuel, Nassib (who both may be gone) or Wilson types.

I'm starting to worry about the fumbling issue and pocket presence with him. #8 is too high. Since all these guys are a significant risk, I'd much rather draft a blue chip guy at a position of need, and then try to trade up to late, late first or early second, if necessary, to get one of the Manuel, Nassib (who both may be gone) or Wilson types.

Agree.

But if he's there at 8, it is gonna take some serious cajones for Nix to pass on him, don't you think?

Agree.

But if he's there at 8, it is gonna take some serious cajones for Nix to pass on him, don't you think?

It depends. Nix is stubborn, which is not always a bad thing. Granted, sometimes in his case it is a bad thing. But what I mean here is that Nix will have a very solid idea in his head, combined with what Whaley, Marrone, Hackett, and the scouts think about Geno. They may love him and they may hate him and it may be somewhere in between. But they will have a strong feeling about whether or not he is worth the 8th pick before the draft starts. So if they don't really think he's worth it, and he is there, I don't think it will have an affect on him at all.

Where it will have an affect is if they do think he is marginally good enough to pick at 8, but they want another player there if he is available who they think is better, and he is available, too. Then the pressure is on him to take the lower rated guy at a position of need, but is a QB.

The final factor would be if he is available, they kinda like him but don't love him, and then a trade down opportunity comes up. But I don't think that is a likely chance of happening. It's possible though.

Agree.

I believe the pressure will be too much for him to pass on Geno if he is indeed available. He would have to be one self-assured mofo in order to pass on him. Could you imagine if he passed on him and the kid ended up being a good QB?

Having said that, I don't believe Geno will end up living up to his potential. That's just my opinion based on what I've read about him. And like Kelly, as I've said all along, I believe we should end up drafting one of the other perceived blue chip prospects at the #8.

I believe the pressure will be too much for him to pass on Geno if he is indeed available. He would have to be one self-assured mofo in order to pass on him. Could you imagine if he passed on him and the kid ended up being a good QB?

Having said that, I don't believe Geno will end up living up to his potential. That's just my opinion based on what I've read about him. And like Kelly, as I've said all along, I believe we should end up drafting one of the other perceived blue chip prospects at the #8.

I agree. And while I agree with Kelly that Nix is stubborn as hell, he's had so many people chiding him for over-thinking and bungling the QB position (including, presumably, his boss Brandon behind closed doors) that I just think he is going to be hard-pressed to pass on Geno at 8 (if he lasts that long, which I doubt).

Mayock on Geno Smith, April 4th

“It’s absolutely the football side,” Mayock said on Path to the Draft. “Talk about the football issues: First of all, ball security, ties into the pocket awareness. Whatever that number is, 30, 32 fumbles in his career, he has no awareness of the rush surrounding him. So his pocket awareness — five sacks in the first half against Texas, three of them he could have gotten rid of the football easily, and one of them he was stripped of the football in the end zone for a touchdown. There’s no internal clock, there’s no feel.”

“Deep ball accuracy: I put a reel together of six to eight throws that should have been touchdowns, wide open vertical guys that he overthrew or underthrew,” Mayock said. “He stares down receivers and he throws the football late, so there’s a lack of anticipation and timing.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/04/on-field-issues-are-bigger-concern-than-work-ethic-for-geno-smith/

I simply don't like Smith because what he has done in games that his team got behind in, he fell on his face! Winners rise up and take control, and not roam the sidelines looking dejected.

Mayock loved Blaine Gabbert & called part time college starter Robert Ayers the best defensive player on his draft. He guesses like the majority of fans. He's just lucky to get paid for it.