Eugene Cyril "Geno" Smith III - QB - West Virginia

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big difference between Manning and Geno... Manning was a no brainer #1...

That's not even true. Getting nearer and nearer to the draft, Manning became a clearer, safer pick than Ryan Leaf, and most people thought he would go first. But for a long time, Leaf was the favorite as the #1. Then he showed up 20 pounds overweight to the combine. But even close to the draft there was a lot of speculation over who should go 1 and who should go 2. It was far from a no brainer. A lot of people didnt think Manning could throw deep with accuracy.

That's not even true. Getting nearer and nearer to the draft, Manning became a clearer, safer pick than Ryan Leaf, and most people thought he would go first. But for a long time, Leaf was the favorite as the #1. Then he showed up 20 pounds overweight to the combine. But even close to the draft there was a lot of speculation over who should go 1 and who should go 2. It was far from a no brainer. A lot of people didnt think Manning could throw deep with accuracy.

Whoa, whoa. No need to come in here and throw around facts.

yet peyton got waxed by the gators often.........

Geno is clearly the best QB in the draft, whats all this fuss aboooooot ?

seriously man, i don't get it.

Looking at the draft order, lets say that the Raiders don't take Geno, the next viable team to draft a QB will most likely be the Cardinals at 7. If i'm Nix i go gang-busters calling the browns to move up from 8 to 6 and nab Geno. A move from 8 to 6 would probably cost us our 1st and 3rd round pick. Draft Geno and then go with the BPA available at OL/WR/LB in the 2nd round and this draft would be a MAJOR victory IMO. Our franchise would have a clear direction and a dynamic player in Geno and we can still address a needs in the 2nd and 4th rounds.

Worst case scenario, lets say we have to trade up to 3, that would require at least our 1st, 2nd and a 3rd round pick the following season. Draft Geno and then fill a need in the 3rd and 4th round at OL/LB/WR.

Obviously finding a trading partner can be difficult, but if Geno passes the Raiders I think the Browns would be a serious trading partner and a very viable option.

For those who keep saying we have to keep all of our 6 picks b/c we have a lot of needs, do you think that all of those 6 picks will REALLY fill those needs ultimately? Hopefully 3 of them actually do, but realistically only 1 or 2 will..if we're lucky.

Getting Geno would fill our most important need instantly.

Edited by bobobonators

Jesus, no brainer top-pick. It was him and Leaf going in the first 2 picks for sure, no doubt about it. My comparison was towards Geno and Manning pre-draft and it is a pretty big discrepancy.

Jesus, no brainer top-pick. It was him and Leaf going in the first 2 picks for sure, no doubt about it. My comparison was towards Geno and Manning pre-draft and it is a pretty big discrepancy.

Oh, got it. Yeah, there is no comparison, I agree, to Geno as a prospect and Manning as a prospect. I thought you meant no brainer top pick overall.

I just read this article about the Manning draft and when SI asked Bill Walsh who he would pick between Manning and Leaf #1 overall, Walsh said "Neither, I would take a different player and then take Brian Griese in the second."

They've been working on it all year.

"I don't get a good vibe."

"He doesn't have leadership skills."

"He doesn't have nunchuck skills."

"He reminds me of Jamarcus Russell."

"He reminds me of other black WVU QBs."

All these arguments have in common is that none of them are really based on anything tangible or useful. The game tape tells me he is a hell of a QB with a great arm and a nose for the open receiver. The tape tells me his team had a sh--show defense that cost his team games -- games that if they had won, would have improved his stock. That can be to the Bills' advantage here if it forces him to fall to #8.

I don't think he's a can't miss, but he is the best this draft has to offer and if they have the opportunity, they have to take him.

I did say that I would be excited if they drafted Geno Smith because he does possess elite NFL QB skills. I just like Manuel and Scott (the only other two I see as potential elite QBs) better because of their personalities for the job of franchise QB. I fear Geno's personality isn't one of being a leader. I don't think there's anything wrong to have an opinion like that. It's just an opinion. If Geno falls to the Bills I would have a hard time passing on him considering what he did his senior year. I probably would end up picking him. We're all hoping and praying the Bills finally find the franchise QB in this draft. I will be very happy if we get Geno Smith at #8. I will still have a worry about his being able to handle the leadership/pressure side of the job but that's it. That's a valid concern, right?

So in conclusion, I will be very happy if the Bills get Smith, Manuel or Scott. BTW, all this Smith talk is pointless since he probably won't be there. I'm hearing an awful lot of Geno Smith talk on Philly radio today. Would he get past Jacksonville? The Raiders? The Cardinals? If he gets to the Bills it would be a small miracle.

If Smith is there at 8, take him. If not, try to trade down. Barkley scares me, reminds me of that USC guy we passed on a few years ago to take Whitner, whatsisname. Not a big enough arm, the beneficiary of playing for USC loaded with talent.

I heard Mortensen on the radio this morning telling the guys that he thought Nassib might go in the first to Buffalo. To me, that would be a mistake.

Take a stud defenseman in the first, get your quarterback in the second or 3rd round.

In any case the Bills were the first team mentioned by Smith for a pre-draft visit.

“I’ve got something coming up with the Bills on the 22nd. As of right now I would expect between 10 to 12 (pre-draft visits), maybe more."

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I did say that I would be excited if they drafted Geno Smith because he does possess elite NFL QB skills. I just like Manuel and Scott (the only other two I see as potential elite QBs) better because of their personalities for the job of franchise QB. I fear Geno's personality isn't one of being a leader. I don't think there's anything wrong to have an opinion like that. It's just an opinion. If Geno falls to the Bills I would have a hard time passing on him considering what he did his senior year. I probably would end up picking him. We're all hoping and praying the Bills finally find the franchise QB in this draft. I will be very happy if we get Geno Smith at #8. I will still have a worry about his being able to handle the leadership/pressure side of the job but that's it. That's a valid concern, right?

So in conclusion, I will be very happy if the Bills get Smith, Manuel or Scott. BTW, all this Smith talk is pointless since he probably won't be there. I'm hearing an awful lot of Geno Smith talk on Philly radio today. Would he get past Jacksonville? The Raiders? The Cardinals? If he gets to the Bills it would be a small miracle.

Exactly what basis are you using to justify your "personality" argument?

Just something I've noticed over the years, but the Buffalo Bills often tip their hand at who they are interested in (via free agency or the draft) with articles or opinion pieces on their official website. Almost like they are trying to get the fans pumped up over one person or another. I remember seeing this a lot with free agency with certain players getting mentioned and hyped up on BB.com only to visit a few days later and sign.

All over BB.com right now?

Geno Smith.

In fact, this is the first time I can remember BB.com actually posting a full article about how they are going to meet with a player in the draft a full week before it even happens. All of this could be nothing of course but I just get this feeling that Geno is the guy the Bills have targeted in this draft. Methinks by hell or high water, he's going to be a Bill.

Edited by BillsGuyInBallstonSpa

Worked exclusivley in the shotgun and in a hurry up offense. Doesn't seem like it is a good fit for the offense the team will run.

Whoever it is will be the starter day one. To me, that would narrow the option to one qb that already knows this offense inside, outside, and upside down and can run it from day one.

Just something I've noticed over the years, but the Buffalo Bills often tip their hand at who they are interested in (via free agency or the draft) with articles or opinion pieces on their official website. Almost like they are trying to get the fans pumped up over one person or another. I remember seeing this a lot with free agency with certain players getting mentioned and hyped up on BB.com only to visit a few days later and sign.

All over BB.com right now?

Geno Smith.

In fact, this is the first time I can remember BB.com actually posting a full article about how they are going to meet with a player in the draft a full week before it even happens. All of this could be nothing of course but I just get this feeling that Geno is the guy the Bills have targeted in this draft. Methinks by hell or high water, he's going to be a Bill.

god i hope so......

Geno went 19-28, 201yds, 2TD, 0INT in that game w/ a 151 rating. Marrone sure "stopped" him dead in his tracks.

The only reason you think Geno was stopped is b/c you're used to seeing Geno put up 400yds 4TDs every other game.

What were Ryan Nassib's numbers that same game?

11-23, 130yds, 2TD, 1INT, w/ a 115 rating.

"W" That's what his number was. The kid aint sexy... he's all about the "W". A lot of kids mave better " measureables"... that gets you to the NFL, but the "immeasureables" are what gets the "W".

Almost every QB prospect ever drafted has holes in their game that need to be either corrected or coached up. Luck and RGIII aside, there are no can't miss prospects at the position. Geno's the best guy this year, so I'm all for going to get him because I also don't think he will be there at 8.

Also wanted to post this article from today:

http://www.optimumscouting.com/scout-s-notes/articles/2013-nfl-draft-geno-smith-atop-quarterback-rankings-hoping-to-follow-in-matt-ryan-s-footsteps.html