Kiper's newest mock

Coach Tuesday

i agree (with you, not Kiper). though i really want O-line help too. i certainly don't feel good about 4 line spots. i feel pretty good about 2 (though neither is dominant), okay about RG. there is no LG and i don't like Pears.

point is, there is no one i love at 8 if the OT's are gone.

This mentality is ridiculous and fortunately the Bills aren't thinking like you so it's a moot point.

The Bills are not going to go OL at 8. Period, end of story.

They are a team with a lot of holes. They've had one of the best OL's in football for the last two years.

So because you feel just "OK" about Kraig Urbik, that's a need? Uh, we have NO LINEBACKERS! T.J. GRAHAM IS OUR #2 RECEIVER! No team- certainly not the Bills- is going to trot out 22 guys that you feel "great" about every year.

The Bills OL will be fine. Yes, they need to draft a guard at some point to compete with Colin Brown (who they just re-signed and has a pretty good pedigree, look him up), but my God, not at 8.

Not to mention, Buddy Nix has clearly demonstrated that he doesn't value the guard position and, if nothing else, has done a tremendous job piecing together an excellent OL comprised mostly of other teams' practice squad players. Expect more of the same.

The most amazing thing about this is that people actually pay money to have access to these mock drafts.

The rest of us just wait until one of the fools who pays for it posts the details here, then we get to waste our time reading it for free.

You seem like a really likeable person.

http://insider.espn....two-full-rounds

Jonathan Cooper

Buffalo Bills (6-10)

COLLEGE: North Carolina

HT: 6-2

WT: 311

POS: G

Analysis: The Bills actually have a good foundation on the offensive line. They should feel pretty good about four of their five starters up front. Unfortunately, they lost left guard Andy Levitre to the Titans in free agency, which could really hurt, particularly for a run game that should be strong. Cooper is a great guard, a player capable of challenging for a trip to Hawaii as a rookie. Given the situation at QB, the Bills should take advantage of the opportunity to fill the biggest void they have up front.

EDIT: my hope is that some savvy person at OBD (yeah right, I know) planted this seed in Kiper's hairnest in order to scare the Cowboys (who covet Cooper) into trading up to 8, allowing us to trade down and get the guy we *really* want (Manuel?)...

I just hope the Bills draft the best player regardless of position. They certainly have needs almost everywhere. I have always believed that the game is won in the trenches and therefore an elite offensive lineman would be OK with me.

p.s. I love the conspiracy theory although I've seen no evidence that the Bills are that cunning.

I do not see them taking a guard at 8.

The Bills needed a tackle last year and waited, tackle is viewed as a much more important part of your line then guard.

Bills will go impact position player at 8, most likely on D. I bet Pettine has been promised a toy. Best available LB, CB or hybrid DE/OLB who matches up with what Bills think is best value for the 8th spot.

Would hate to see us take a guard with our first pick...a playmaker or a defensive stud...stick with that philosophy.

I would bet almost anything that the Bills will not take Cooper at #8.

That said, if you could guarantee that we got this mock and got Cooper and then Nassib in the first two rounds, I think the Bills would strongly consider it if not sign up immediately. And if it were Nix, Whaley and Marrone making these two selections, we would know that Marrone thinks Nassib will be a very good NFL QB if not a star.

That said, if you could guarantee that we got this mock and got Cooper and then Nassib in the first two rounds, I think the Bills would strongly consider it if not sign up immediately. And if it were Nix, Whaley and Marrone making these two selections, we would know that Marrone thinks Nassib will be a very good NFL QB if not a star.

Doug Marrone's had him for four years and Ryan Nassib's widely considered the fourth best QB in what's widely considered a "weak" QB class. Given this, how in the world could Marrone feel that Nassib is going to be a star QB in the NFL? That makes no sense to me.

As for the draft...IMO, the Bills will draft Cordarelle Patterson at #8 and Matt Scott at #41. The best WR and the best QB in this class.

Most mocks out there just list the best players 1-32, basically assigning the teams the BPA. There are even fewer mocks out there that try to get into a GM's head and ask "who will this team really pick?". This mock is the later. Doomed.

Edited by kas23

this---^

If we're going guard I want Womack. If he's gone, don't reach for a position of need. Go with the BPA.

Well you win the prize for getting closest to another interesting facet of Kiper's mock draft:

He has Cooper ranked higher than Warmack.

For those without ESPN Insider (I purchased it 5 years ago and I still have it for free for some reason), Kiper has Cooper ranked as the 7th best player in this draft and Warmack as the 12th best.

Doug Marrone's had him for four years and Ryan Nassib's widely considered the fourth best QB in what's widely considered a "weak" QB class. Given this, how in the world could Marrone feel that Nassib is going to be a star QB in the NFL? That makes no sense to me.

As for the draft...IMO, the Bills will draft Cordarelle Patterson at #8 and Matt Scott at #41. The best WR and the best QB in this class.

That depends on who you believe. Russ Lande had him rated as the highest prospect (not just QB) in the entire draft. Do I believe that? Nope. But I also don't believe that you're more qualified than Lande. Your assertion that Scott is the best QB in the class is not any less outlandish than his claim about Nassib. Neither QB has played a down in the NFL and there's no empirical evidence as to who's the best or will be the best. Nobody knows at this point. Talking in absolutes is foolish.

And this illustrates the problem with the Bills, they are always running in place. With the # 8 pick they take a guard to replace a very good guard they let go (Levitre). Even if this guy is a good pick, it's unlikely he will be as good (and as durable) as Levitre, at least in his first two years. So your #1 pick doesn't really improve your team at all; you are just running in place.

That's not to say the Bills should have matched the mega contract the Titans gave Levitre. The Bills should have extended Levitre in year 2 or 3, when it was apparent that he was a solid player. But to finally make a good draft choice (Levitre), live through his growing pains and then lose him after just 4 years as he enters the prime of his career illustrates just how bad this front office is, and why it has been so long since we made the playoffs.

Good 20-20 hindsight post.

OR, maybe he is incompetent.

OR his assessments and values for players differ than those of other NFL scouts.

There has to be a reason he is on TV and not employed as an actual professional scout/talent evaluator/GM.

Like the scouts do a better job of picking.

Well if Community college graduate Mel Kiper says it, it must be true. Lets do the math. Bills lose a guard, they mush draft a guard, slick back hair get paid millions.

It's laughable how much stock put into guys like Kiper & Mayock. They have a combined 0 years in a NFL front office. They miss more than they hit but they have 0 accountability. It's purely entertainment but folks treat it as gospel. It's silly.

For the record, if the Bills draft a G at 8, I'm burning down the Ralph.

I will bring the gasoline

That depends on who you believe. Russ Lande had him rated as the highest prospect (not just QB) in the entire draft. Do I believe that? Nope. But I also don't believe that you're more qualified than Lande. Your assertion that Scott is the best QB in the class is not any less outlandish than his claim about Nassib. Neither QB has played a down in the NFL and there's no empirical evidence as to who's the best or will be the best. Nobody knows at this point. Talking in absolutes is foolish.

More than any position in football, fan opinions on QBs are just as valid as draft "experts" because no one knows who has "it" and who doesn't unless of course they're slam dunk guys like Luck and RGIII.

I remember two years ago laughing at Mike Mayock thinking Blaine Gabbert was the best QB and him thinking that Newton was going to be a bust. That's a pretty big miss on Mayock. I had it right and he had it wrong. Does that make me smarter? No, but it proves draft experts are extremely hit and miss with their QB evaluations no matter who they are talking about. I get the feeling it's the one position that frightens them the most in making their evaluations.

As for absolutes on the best WR and QB, it's just my opinion. This place would be boring if everyone rode the fence on what they thought of who the best players were going to be, don't you think so?

More than any position in football, fan opinions on QBs are just as valid as draft "experts" because no one knows who has "it" and who doesn't unless of course they're slam dunk guys like Luck and RGIII.

I remember two years ago laughing at Mike Mayock thinking Blaine Gabbert was the best QB and him thinking that Newton was going to be a bust. That's a pretty big miss on Mayock. I had it right and he had it wrong. Does that make me smarter? No, but it proves draft experts are extremely hit and miss with their QB evaluations no matter who they are talking about. I get the feeling it's the one position that frightens them the most in making their evaluations.

As for absolutes on the best WR and QB, it's just my opinion. This place would be boring if everyone rode the fence on what they thought of who the best players were going to be, don't you think so?

Mayock never said Newton was going to be a bust...You're over-exaggerating...He did like Gabbert slightly more...He felt Newton was raw and that it would take time for him to pick-up the NFL Game...There were things about Newton Mayock loved...And I'm pretty certain he never used the word bust...

No offense...But Mike Mayock is a million times more qualified to Scout QB's than you or I...He just is...He also has connections in the Scouting and Coaching world that you and I could not even imagine having...He's not going to be right every time...And you and I will not be wrong every time...But come on... B-)

We can't listen to anything Kiper says about O-linemen, remember last year when he was adamant that Cordy Glenn couldn't play tackle and that the Bills reached for him?

Good luck. It's mostly concrete.

LMAO.. that's funny.

I could see him out there with a can of lighter fluid trying to keep the Ralph lit

there a too many solid play makers to be had at #8. We have plenty of young G's on the roster. No chance of this happening

Edited by shibuya

OR, maybe he is incompetent.

OR his assessments and values for players differ than those of other NFL scouts.

There has to be a reason he is on TV and not employed as an actual professional scout/talent evaluator/GM.

Why the hell would he want to be a pro scout/talent evaluator/GM? He's got one of the sweetest jobs going. Not only is he probably making more than those guys he's not responsible for any of his "picks." A GM has to live with the consequences of his picks and if he fails he gets shown the door. As soon as this years draft is over Kiper is getting ready for 2014 and everything he just said is no longer relevant.

I would be very unhappy if the Bills select a guard at 8 with so many other glaring needs that need to be addressed.

Serviceable guards are fairly easy to find. Now, if we were a superbowl contending team and our only open starting spot was at G, then this pick would be great. We don't have the luxury of wasting a top 10 pick on a G. WR or LB at 8, please. I'd even settle for the Top TE, but please no OG.

All pro guards are not easy to find and can make a huge difference for that O line. See Ruben Brown!

The Bills want to build a power running game for whatever QB they settle on and right now that line is still unstable with Levitre gone and Woods always ending the season on IR. I'd rather see them draft one of the top 3 OT's, but I wouldn't be upset if it were a Alabama OG like Chance Warmack. Who BTW is graded as the best player in this years draft by NFL.com and Mike Mayock.

And this illustrates the problem with the Bills, they are always running in place. With the # 8 pick they take a guard to replace a very good guard they let go (Levitre). Even if this guy is a good pick, it's unlikely he will be as good (and as durable) as Levitre, at least in his first two years. So your #1 pick doesn't really improve your team at all; you are just running in place.

That's not to say the Bills should have matched the mega contract the Titans gave Levitre. The Bills should have extended Levitre in year 2 or 3, when it was apparent that he was a solid player. But to finally make a good draft choice (Levitre), live through his growing pains and then lose him after just 4 years as he enters the prime of his career illustrates just how bad this front office is, and why it has been so long since we made the playoffs.

I agree 100% Front office screwed up 2 years ago and should an gotten an extension

Well you win the prize for getting closest to another interesting facet of Kiper's mock draft:

He has Cooper ranked higher than Warmack.

For those without ESPN Insider (I purchased it 5 years ago and I still have it for free for some reason), Kiper has Cooper ranked as the 7th best player in this draft and Warmack as the 12th best.

Today, on the 6:00 PM edition of 'Path To The Draft' (NFL Network), Charles Davis' mock draft had Cooper going to the Bills. I just don't see it happening. FWIW, no QBs had been" taken" at that point.

I have no problem with your opinion or anyone else's on this subject for that matter. You're right, it would be pretty boring if we all agreed...although not nearly as contentious. ^_^ That said, your original post stated, "As for the draft...IMO, the Bills will draft Cordarelle Patterson at #8 and Matt Scott at #41. The best WR and the best QB in this class." It was your opinion in the first sentence that the Bills will draft Patterson & Scott. Cool, no problem. You stated in your next sentence as absolute that Patterson & Scott were the best at their respective positions. Big difference. If you meant to say that it was also your opinion that Patterson & Scott were the best, then okay. If that's the case, I couldn't determine that from your poor sentence structure. ;)

Mayock never said Newton was going to be a bust...You're over-exaggerating...He did like Gabbert slightly more...He felt Newton was raw and that it would take time for him to pick-up the NFL Game...There were things about Newton Mayock loved...And I'm pretty certain he never used the word bust...

No offense...But Mike Mayock is a million times more qualified to Scout QB's than you or I...He just is...He also has connections in the Scouting and Coaching world that you and I could not even imagine having...He's not going to be right every time...And you and I will not be wrong every time...But come on... B-)

This. Besides, in an "all things being equal" scenario, Mayock probably gets a helluva lot more right than he gets wrong. But the potential of the player is only part of the equation - you also have another huge variable in the situation the players are drafted into. Player "A" may perform exactly as Mayock expected if drafted by one team, but maybe in another situation he encounters an environment that prevents him from reaching his potential.

We can't listen to anything Kiper says about O-linemen, remember last year when he was adamant that Cordy Glenn couldn't play tackle and that the Bills reached for him?

I caught that too...and even later when he graded each team's draft I think he still was saying the jury was still out on Glenn. I have seen a lot of rookie left tackles come in and be brought along slowly only to fail miserably. Cordy was thrown right in and did very well.

At first glance he does look like your prototypical guard, but he plays with good bend and leverage, has long arms, and most importantly has surprisingly great footwork. The good news is that I think we have not seen his best yet, as I believe there is still areas of his game he is growing into. If he can stay clear of the injury bug I think our scouts earned a solid grade.

Mel needs to get over himself,