Fred Davis FA TE has dinner with Bills brass

Scott_36

The Bills like to over pay. Look at the McKelvin deal that will come back to haunt the team. the dude is making 5 mil a year. They did the same with Kelsey and G. Wilson. Unfortunialty the team will be paying Wilson this year along with Fitzmoney. If they do a deal cheap I say do it, they also need another WR cheap. Lyold, DHB someone to take the pressure off Johnson. Most teams could double triple coverage Johnson last year because everyone else was so crappy.

Jeez, don't let facts get in your way...http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/3/13/4098106/leodis-mckelvin-contract-details-4-years-17-million

And again, as it has been said over and over and over again, the deals with Kelsay and Wilson have never put the Bills in a bad spot money-wise.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a classy charity move.

Even when Davis was healthy he wasn't much of a factor. He was a lot more sizzle than steak.

With a torn achilles, his sizzle is gone and even less steak.

Bottom line, if he passes a physical, accepts the veteran minimum, and understands he's only coming in to compete for a job... no guarantees, then ok.

Love the opinion even though its wrong. If you had seen him play you would know that he was

clearly the best receiver on the Redskins before the injury. He was the reason why fan favorite Chris Cooley was released.

He would be the best TE we have had since the glory days of McKeller and Metz if signed and healthy.

He and team mate Trent Williams tested positive for marijuana so that could be a concern. I'm any contract he signs would have provisions to protect against any recurring issues.

I agree he has to pass a physical, if so this signing would have much more impact than the Lawson signing.

Edited by VADC Bills

@AdamSchefter: Redskins TE Fred Davis dined last night in Washington with Bills HC Doug Marrone, GM Buddy Nix, Doug Whaley and other Bills officials.

This would be a good move if we can sign him. If healthy he has some upside

This would be a great move. He could end up starting if Chandler is not ready for the opener.

I gotta say that i am glad Buddy and Co. are taking a look at him.

You folks have mentioned the risk so i wont. But there is a reasonable chance this guy would work out for us.

marrone will be using some traditional 2 TE sets i am thinking and Davis might be the guy. Keep Lee as a blocker mauler and let Caussin fight for it in camp.

Be interesting to see how this "meeting " turns out.

Thanks for the post OP. I have been wondering when we would would see a move for a Vet TE !

Ill keep preaching patience. We don't know who they have or haven't reached out to or what direction those talks have gone or are going. Lawson signed before we knew he got called. Davis now had the dinner before twitter got hold of any interest.

He is worth a vet minium contract and a long look in training camp. Does not have to light the world on fire but to produce, primarily, in the red zone. If he starts being an off field knucklehead, dumping him would not hurt the salary cap.

It would be a decent signing, especially if it is for a low amount. We really don't need a long term answer to tight end. Chandler has looked good, and the only reason we are looking for a Tight end right now is because Chandler probably won't be ready at the begining of the season.... we really only need a stop-gap player for the begining of the season until chandler comes back. though have two decent tight ends would be good for us.

I would be thrilled. I was an advocate for picking up Dustin Keller and even if Davis doesn't quite have the spring completely back in his step, he's still a major step up in a position of need and if we can pick him up cheap after being injured I'm all for it.

Uncertain? Didn't he tear his ACL ~ game 7 last year?

According to this review only ~ 2/3 of players are able to return, and those that do take an average of 11 mos and play at a lower level, 50% lower power rating (however the author is measuring that).

We need a TE, but does it really help us to have 2 TE who may not be ready for training camp/1st game? Or to stock our roster with players who are iffy to return from what is often a career-limiting injury (Merriman, now maybe Davis)?

Then stop trying to diminish his production without context. It never occurred to you that the years he had little production the veteran guy ahead of him was catching 75-85 balls a year? The one year Cooley got hurt, Davis came in and played very well, starting ten games catching about 50 balls and 6 TDs.

I've got to believe that the embellishment comment was a joke, wasn't it? People wouldn't call one reception in a season an embellishment, would they?

The Bills like to over pay. Look at the McKelvin deal that will come back to haunt the team. the dude is making 5 mil a year. They did the same with Kelsey and G. Wilson. Unfortunialty the team will be paying Wilson this year along with Fitzmoney. If they do a deal cheap I say do it, they also need another WR cheap. Lyold, DHB someone to take the pressure off Johnson. Most teams could double triple coverage Johnson last year because everyone else was so crappy.

I'm glad they resigned McKelvin - as opposed to losing him and not signing ANYONE - but at 5 million per, we could have signed much more accomplished players for our secondary. Think about it - that's equivalent to the 3 year deal Ed Reed just signed, and twice as much (I think) as Pollard (I know - they're safeties, but I look at them as playmakers, difference makers).

Now, I don't mind overpaying for certain players - really good ones, for instance - but the Kelsay deal, and the McKelvin deal, I believe, will force Buffalo out of the market for guys like Dareus, or Gilmore, when the time comes. I mean, if they're paying so and so 5 million a year, who spends half the year BENCHED, then what is a really good player worth?

The counter argument would be - would you rather we not sign players? That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying spend the money wisely, and if you're over paying for someone, make sure they're talented and will make a difference! Hopefully McKelvin will be a difference maker this year, on ST and in the secondary. Who knows, maybe he'll thrive in Pettine's defense? He was a first rounder...

Anyway - on the topic of Davis, I'm all for them signing him to a low deal, with incentives maybe, for 3 or 4 years, structured so that if he plays well he'll get paid decent, and if he doesn't recover, he can be cut without hurting us. A guy like Davis - who has, potentially, another 5-6 years left to play at a high level, could be a move made, not for this year, specifically, but for the next 3-4 years. If they believe he'll be healthy, but not ready this year, his skill would help a young QB down the line. So - as long as they get him at a good price, I think its a really smart move, and one I've been calling for for a while now.

Another FA I'd like Buffalo to look at - Victor Butler. A CB might not be a bad idea, either. And of course, another WR.

At least we know Nix, Whaley & Co are alive.

I think that about somes it up for me. I had my concerns.

But No Saint , i am all about patience. I am just happy they are taking a good look at Davis.

Having watched my short list of TE's that might fit the Bills, and and even thats a guess ! , being picked up already has concerned me.

I dont want to use a draft pick on one and i feel we need more value regardless of Chandler.

Fred should be a bargain and have much to prove.

A gentleman here mentioned the injury has yet to heal. I did not know that.

Thats a deal breaker at this point in time. But i would put an offer on the table for when he becomes healthy to give us a call

I'm glad they resigned McKelvin - as opposed to losing him and not signing ANYONE - but at 5 million per, we could have signed much more accomplished players for our secondary. Think about it - that's equivalent to the 3 year deal Ed Reed just signed, and twice as much (I think) as Pollard (I know - they're safeties, but I look at them as playmakers, difference makers).

Now, I don't mind overpaying for certain players - really good ones, for instance - but the Kelsay deal, and the McKelvin deal, I believe, will force Buffalo out of the market for guys like Dareus, or Gilmore, when the time comes. I mean, if they're paying so and so 5 million a year, who spends half the year BENCHED, then what is a really good player worth?

The counter argument would be - would you rather we not sign players? That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying spend the money wisely, and if you're over paying for someone, make sure they're talented and will make a difference! Hopefully McKelvin will be a difference maker this year, on ST and in the secondary. Who knows, maybe he'll thrive in Pettine's defense? He was a first rounder...

Anyway - on the topic of Davis, I'm all for them signing him to a low deal, with incentives maybe, for 3 or 4 years, structured so that if he plays well he'll get paid decent, and if he doesn't recover, he can be cut without hurting us. A guy like Davis - who has, potentially, another 5-6 years left to play at a high level, could be a move made, not for this year, specifically, but for the next 3-4 years. If they believe he'll be healthy, but not ready this year, his skill would help a young QB down the line. So - as long as they get him at a good price, I think its a really smart move, and one I've been calling for for a while now.

Another FA I'd like Buffalo to look at - Victor Butler. A CB might not be a bad idea, either. And of course, another WR.

Saints want Butler but so might I.

Leodis deal is a head scratcher on the level of Kelsay for sure.

Thats one i will be paying attention to. Did they pay him for the return game ? or do they think he can be coached up to fix that little problem of his ball awareness.

New coaches all around means wait and see. for meself anyways