Fred Davis FA TE has dinner with Bills brass

Scott_36

Ertz, Kelce, Eifert, Escobar... Plus a bunch more talented draft picks I can't think of off the top of my head. There's no shortage of talented TE prospects!

Sure, no GM is aware of EVERYTHING happening in the league. Still, Buddy seems to purposely CHOOSE ignorance every chance he gets. :lol:

But hey.... GOOOO BILLS!

Those are some good healthy choices.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred Davis has allegedly been medically cleared. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/fred-davis-gets-medical-clearance/. With injuries and football in general, there's always a risk so take one with a bug upside. When healthy this guy can stretch the field as well as any TE in the game which is a dimension we don't have (though you can argue that TJ Graham already provides us with that skill and as an added bonus he also is great at dropping passes!). He's a top 10 TE who has the talent to be even better. People should be thankful the Bills are going after him instead of Chris.Cooley, Dallas Clark or Travis Beckum, etc... He's a 1st tier FA. Settle down, folks!

Medically cleared to do what? Put weight on his foot? He has only been medically cleared to rehab only. Great... sign him. Now the Bills will have two TEs that won't play this year. I don't think Two TEs, each with a bum leg can be combined to make one healthy one.

Why does Rosenhaus make him a tough get? I have read in numerous places in the past that Rosenhaus and the Bills have a good working relationship

Like most high profile agents, Rosenhaus would undoubtedly like his client to stay in Washington with RGIII, rather than step into an unsettled QB situation in backwater Buffalo. The 'premium' the Bills would have to pay to make the deal happen would need to be pretty high. Otherwise Rosenhaus would probably get very creative in structuring a long-term deal with the Skins after using the Bills as a stalking horse.

http://www.hogshaven...nner-with-bills

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2013/03/need-to-know-friday.html

Edited by Lurker

Like most high profile agents, Rosenhaus would undoubtedly like his client to stay in Washington with RGIII, rather than step into an unsettled QB situation in backwater Buffalo. The 'premium' the Bills would have to pay to make the deal happen would need to be pretty high. Otherwise Rosenhaus would probably get very creative in structuring a long-term deal with the Skins after using the Bills as a stalking horse.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2013/3/24/4141876/redskins-tight-end-fred-davis-has-dinner-with-bills

Your link also points out that Davis has been a pass-catching TE who does not excel at blocking, stuck in a run-first offense. The Bills are likely to be more of a passing team, making him a better fit and giving him more opportunity. It also points out he was productive with Rex Grossman, so he's done it before.

On the other hand, I wonder if there are many examples of players coming back from his injury and being the same player they were before. Or if most guys, if they get back at all, are like Takeo Spikes where they can still be a decent player but never have the same explosiveness.

His visit seems somewhat strange to me. I'm fairly certain that the USC Pro Day is on Wednesday, you'd imagine our higher ups would be in Southern Cal in full force considering we've done the same for most of the other top-ranked QBs pro days.

We must hate Barkley.

One of two things: either we already had a private visit with Barkley and don't feel the need to go to his pro day.

Or, the higher ups already talked all they want to Davis, they're planning to be at USC Pro Day, and the Weds. visit is about medical examinations and workouts with trainers/position coaches

On the other hand, I wonder if there are many examples of players coming back from his injury and being the same player they were before. Or if most guys, if they get back at all, are like Takeo Spikes where they can still be a decent player but never have the same explosiveness.

There aren't many, Big Bad. In an earlier post on this thread I linked to a sports injury journal which quotes stats - about 2/3 of NFL players manage to come back, the average time to come back (for those who do) is 11 months, and the players who come back are only at 50% of their former power.

Someone can always beat the odds and of course the devil is in the details of just how bad the injury was, but it's not good odds in general

Fred Davis is a very good TE. Athletes are recovering from ACL tears much better these days than they have in the past. The Bills are obviously not going to sign Davis if his doctors don't clear him. My guess is that he will be ready to play by opening day or sooner. The recovery time is usually 8-12 months.

Fred Davis is a very good TE. Athletes are recovering from ACL tears much better these days than they have in the past. The Bills are obviously not going to sign Davis if his doctors don't clear him. My guess is that he will be ready to play by opening day or sooner. The recovery time is usually 8-12 months.

He had an Achilles tear not an ACL

Achilles is a worse injury for athletes

One of two things: either we already had a private visit with Barkley and don't feel the need to go to his pro day.

Or, the higher ups already talked all they want to Davis, they're planning to be at USC Pro Day, and the Weds. visit is about medical examinations and workouts with trainers/position coaches

This sounds about right

There aren't many, Big Bad. In an earlier post on this thread I linked to a sports injury journal which quotes stats - about 2/3 of NFL players manage to come back, the average time to come back (for those who do) is 11 months, and the players who come back are only at 50% of their former power.

Someone can always beat the odds and of course the devil is in the details of just how bad the injury was, but it's not good odds in general

Buddy Nix isn't the guy that negotiates contracts. Therefore he doesn't have to be in Buffalo when Davis shows up.

The injury is a concern. No doubt, but Fred wouldn't even be available if he was healthy.

Edited by NoJustice

This looks like a move that would be a benefit in 2014 and not 2013.

Yep. The term of any contract with Davis would be key. Many free agents this year signed one-year "prove it" contracts hoping to gamble on themselves for a productive season and be on the open market again next year.

Obviously the Bills would not be best served doing a one-year deal with a guy coming back from a very serious injury. With the Bills QB situation Davis would not necessarily benefit either.

As per usual, the Bills will have to overpay a bit and also make a longer term commitment to the player. Davis would get more money and more security and the Bills would have a longer window on their possible return on investment.

This would be a great move. He could end up starting if Chandler is not ready for the opener.

It's also possible that neither guy will be ready for the season opener.

Or they were in the area kicking other tires either FA or draft

Or both.

His visit seems somewhat strange to me. I'm fairly certain that the USC Pro Day is on Wednesday, you'd imagine our higher ups would be in Southern Cal in full force considering we've done the same for most of the other top-ranked QBs pro days. We must hate Barkley.

As Hopeful and others pointed out, he could meet with the Bills coaches, tour the facility, get a physical checkup from the team doctors and Rosenhaus could sit down with Overdorff.

Maybe the Bills are learning to multi-task!!!

Maybe this would work? Sign him, and face it they will have to overpay. But then trade Brad Smith for 5 boxes

of tape. Tape up that Achilles and lets go Fred Davis. it's all good.

There is not enough tape in the entire world to hold a damaged Achilles together.

Yep. The term of any contract with Davis would be key. Many free agents this year signed one-year "prove it" contracts hoping to gamble on themselves for a productive season and be on the open market again next year.

Obviously the Bills would not be best served doing a one-year deal with a guy coming back from a very serious injury. With the Bills QB situation Davis would not necessarily benefit either.

As per usual, the Bills will have to overpay a bit and also make a longer term commitment to the player. Davis would get more money and more security and the Bills would have a longer window on their possible return on investment.

It's also possible that neither guy will be ready for the season opener.

Or both.

As Hopeful and others pointed out, he could meet with the Bills coaches, tour the facility, get a physical checkup from the team doctors and Rosenhaus could sit down with Overdorff.

Maybe the Bills are learning to multi-task!!!

Rosenhoser is a jerk. He took the Bills big time on McGahee. He's a master of pitching damaged goods and making them out to be better than new.

I cannot believe any team is gonna sign him, even for the minimum... he aint gonna play this year... and if he does it aint gonna be for more than a handful of games... and he aint gonna be the same.

Rosenhoser is a jerk. He took the Bills big time on McGahee. He's a master of pitching damaged goods and making them out to be better than new.

I cannot believe any team is gonna sign him, even for the minimum... he aint gonna play this year... and if he does it aint gonna be for more than a handful of games... and he aint gonna be the same.

Poor example on damaged goods. McGahee is a very good/productive player. He was drafted ten years ago and he's still going strong.