Fred Davis FA TE has dinner with Bills brass

Scott_36

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what I just realized. This was the Fred Davis I saw growing up at Rogers. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me now, but this kid is fast, though his brother was faster. His brother ran track for Rogers, too. Tough school in Toledo, but he is a very likable guy.

You know what I just realized. This was the Fred Davis I saw growing up at Rogers. I don't know why it didn't dawn on me now, but this kid is fast, though his brother was faster. His brother ran track for Rogers, too. Tough school in Toledo, but he is a very likable guy.

seems like you may know about him on atleast some personal level (more than anyone else here).... any insight into the drug thing? any reputation with that with him or friends/family? or just not that close and too long ago?

Edited by NoSaint

seems like you may know about him on atleast some personal level (more than anyone else here).... any insight into the drug thing? any reputation with that with him or friends/family? or just not that close and too long ago?

I would never claim to know enough to comment on that... I could tell you that Rogers is not the most ghetto school or the toughest, but it is no cake walk. Metal detectors to get in the doors since the early 90's, armed police at every game, and still fights broke out. Amazing athletes, and some good people still came from that school. The smarter kids, the better athletes that could do it went to the private schools under scholarships. He was a 110H, and 300H, also.

Any one I have met in the NFL used performance enhancing methods, medications, etc.

http://www.thelantern.com/2.1351/coach-remembers-fallen-player-osu-top-recruit-1.99647

He was from the same school as Humphries was. Humphries was teammates for one season, iirc, with Davis. Humphries was to fill the shoes of Maurice Clarrett, 4.4 40, ran like a battering ram, gave me a concussion - I probably gave him one, too. We both went down hard.

I would never claim to know enough to comment on that... I could tell you that Rogers is not the most ghetto school or the toughest, but it is no cake walk. Metal detectors to get in the doors since the early 90's, armed police at every game, and still fights broke out. Amazing athletes, and some good people still came from that school. The smarter kids, the better athletes that could do it went to the private schools under scholarships. He was a 110H, and 300H, also.

Any one I have met in the NFL used performance enhancing methods, medications, etc.

http://www.thelantern.com/2.1351/coach-remembers-fallen-player-osu-top-recruit-1.99647

He was from the same school as Humphries was. Humphries was teammates for one season, iirc, with Davis. Humphries was to fill the shoes of Maurice Clarrett, 4.4 40, ran like a battering ram, gave me a concussion - I probably gave him one, too. We both went down hard.

i figured as much, but appreciate the rest of the insight. always interesting to learn more about the players than just their 40 times, YPC, and some mel kiper catch phrases... helps make them actual people.

jboyst62 You have my respect for your insight and background. I will take your comments seriously , you have one heck of a past. We are very lucky to have a bill's fan like yourself. (now I like sheep too)

I just played football for a while and got to know the players on other teams. I played against Big Ben, too.

I read an article on him today, and he says he's going to come back stronger than ever. He's fast, has good hands, and is available. Book him. We haven't had a great tight end in years.

Gah, I hate saying this - Merriman said that too, and what? The truth is an Achilles tendon injury is way harder to come back from than a knee ligament injury (ACL, MCL, LCL etc). The ligaments are a stabilization system. The tendon has to hold against the force exerted by a powerful leg muscle every time you take a step - and for athletes, it's the key to their explosive ability. I wish this guy all the best and would love the Bills to have had the type of player he was pre-injury, but to think he'll be what he was or to think that he'll be ready to go at the start of the season while Chandler won't....the evidence of other athletes and other recoveries is against it.

Edited by Hopeful

This article, from last year, says he had the surgery on October 23, from the same doctor that did Terrell Suggs, and that the rehab time was scheduled to be six months, although Suggs came back to play in five months.

Six months from late October is late April. Right now, it's five months: Suggs time. Davis has been working out and running. It's impossible to say how long it will take him to go full speed, but he should be ready to start training camp if he is signed.

I'd imagine they would bring him along slowly to try to get him to 100% by opening day, but he shouldn't miss any of the season. From what I know about Chandler, he shouldn't miss any of the season either.

If the Bills sign Davis. I'd imagine that they play Dorin Dickerson in the position they design for Davis, part TE usually split, and part H Back. It wouldn't be a bad move.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/10/23/fred-davis-having-surgery-in-charlotte-today/

The trick of the matter is in the Bills physician's hands at this point.

I will discount the indiscretions. But can he get healthy and can he do it in time to be competitive by camp?

Am i just wishful in thinking we could develop one heck of an offense just by adding a player such as a healthy Davis?

Then Chandler comes back with his hands and height and Lee pounds it when needed.

Hmmm.

so much risk for my fantasy though.

Incentive laden eh? he wants to prove it so lets let him.

This article, from last year, says he had the surgery on October 23, from the same doctor that did Terrell Suggs, and that the rehab time was scheduled to be six months, although Suggs came back to play in five months.

Six months from late October is late April. Right now, it's five months: Suggs time. Davis has been working out and running. It's impossible to say how long it will take him to go full speed, but he should be ready to start training camp if he is signed.

I'd imagine they would bring him along slowly to try to get him to 100% by opening day, but he shouldn't miss any of the season. From what I know about Chandler, he shouldn't miss any of the season either.

If the Bills sign Davis. I'd imagine that they play Dorin Dickerson in the position they design for Davis, part TE usually split, and part H Back. It wouldn't be a bad move.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2012/10/23/fred-davis-having-surgery-in-charlotte-today/

Good info - "Achilles injury" encompasses a lot of things and it sounds like the details include it not being apples to apples with the major ones. Still big but....

Speaking of which- anyone here about Jason peters Achilles? Coming up on a year

If they are flying him in it is for the doctors to take a look at him. IF the doctors see he is on the path to recovery then the Bills will make him the offer they already discussed at dinner.

The Bills must have said something he and his agent liked hearing for it to get to that point.

As for some of the staff and front office going, who cares? They are making him feel wanted, which may get them the edge. Not saying Davis is a huge signing but he is a need based signing. I like Chandler a lot, but the Bills need more guys who can run after the catch. Given right now the Bills have a journey man at QB and are likely to draft a qb early, having a 'play making TE' makes a lot of sense.

If they are flying him in it is for the doctors to take a look at him. IF the doctors see he is on the path to recovery then the Bills will make him the offer they already discussed at dinner.

The Bills must have said something he and his agent liked hearing for it to get to that point.

As for some of the staff and front office going, who cares? They are making him feel wanted, which may get them the edge. Not saying Davis is a huge signing but he is a need based signing. I like Chandler a lot, but the Bills need more guys who can run after the catch. Given right now the Bills have a journey man at QB and are likely to draft a qb early, having a 'play making TE' makes a lot of sense.

Could just as easily say Washington hasn't told him what he wants yet and we are getting used. You just never know what's behind the scenes from a fan perspective