Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does look a little slow and flat out there at times mentally. i dont have high expectations other than he can be a 7-9 kind of guy. But he has more potential than Fitz to go beyond that, so in that sense its an upgrade. What this tells me is that they dont like the 2013 QB class, will pass on a QB in round 1 unless (maybe) Geno falls to 8. And w/ only 6 picks versus our needs, they didnt want to trade any for Flynn. They'll probably take a QB later. If Kolb, TJ and rookie TBA dont cut it in 2013 and the season is a write-off, they'll position themselves draftwise for the better looking 2014 QB class. Your first year as HC is when you have the luxury of a bad season, better use it now.

From a pure Draft grade standpoint there will almost certainly be higher graded players than the QB's available at #8...Especially if Geno is gone...If the Bills are leveraging to be able to go elsewhere...away from QB at #8...There can be an argument made no question...

I think the mention of LT makes sense because there is a possibility that a truly elite prospect LT will be available at #8 overall...Of all the possible targets at #8 I think Lane Johnson makes the most sense, in this Draft, if the Bills don't go QB...It's not that the Bills don't have bigger needs at LB, QB, and WR...They do...But in Lane Johnson (or Fisher if he's still there) the Bills can actually improve the O-Line, even though they lost Levitre...Plus they would have quite a nice pair of young bookend OT's for years to come...And like you said, this is the year for a pass if it goes down that way... B-)

Draft a QB every year until you get what you're looking for.

We've been waiting for the next year to draft a QB for how long now?

Exactly...

All the Kolb signing does is improve the Bills flexibility in this Draft, and give them some insurance...If the Bills don't Draft a QB in the 2013 Draft, at least within the first 3 Rounds, this team truly is as poorly run as I fear it may be...And I will personally show up at OBD...Torch and pitchfork in hand... :thumbsup:

Wait til next year for a QB and load up on more talent--if Dion Jordan is there grab him or Jarvis Jones (if they think the film means more than his Pro Day workout) if not trade back a bit and take Ogletree (I trust Marrone and Pettine to be able to keep him in line based on how their former players felt about them and he's head and shoulders above the other ILBs), grab Woods, Hunter or another legit WR in the second, McDonald/Escobar/Kelce or another legit TE in the third, then another OLB in tbe fourth (Jamie Collins/Sio Moore/Brandon Jenkins)), Guard or CB in the fifth and then BPA. Load up on low risk, value talent. I mean really, the new regime will be overhauling the team for a few years before we're competitive so would it be crazy to forego a potential bust at QB this year and to wait for next year's crop (we'll still be drafting high!!). If they're going to take a QB this year, I think Kolb (at worst a mediocre starter) enables us to wait until the third and gamble on Scott or Bray. The new regime is changing the culture of the team, we're headed in the right direction (once Buddy is gone too!).

Don't get me wrong - I want Buffalo to draft a franchise QB, the sooner the better - but, IF the desire is to get a franchise QB in next year's draft, where there are, by most accounts, probably 3 QB's that will be solid, and go in the first round, then wouldn't going all out and getting offensive weapons in this draft - maybe a few early round WR's, maybe one of the top TE's, a LG - wouldn't that, coupled with Kolb playing well, probably allow Buffalo to have some success, and thereby push us OUT of position to get one of the better QB's in next year's draft?

I just don't think you can look at the QB situation and say, "next year we'll get our guy" unless you're willing to just tank THIS year. Because, if you're going out and trying to add weapons, and make the offense and defense better, and trying to win, you might (especially with Buffalo's history and luck) just actually win enough games to lose out on the QB you want. Sound familiar? This is what we did with Fitz for the last 3 years! We didn't draft a QB during that time because he was serviceable, and none of the best QB's fell to us. I'm not saying we shouldn't try to win, or add pieces - what I am saying is if Buffalo needs a QB then it ought to try and get a franchise QB AS SOON AS IT CAN, because waiting, for us, ends up being us missing out.

So we should draft crap and avoid improving the team this year so we suck again and then draft our QB next year? The fewer holes, the more justifiable burning picks to move up in the draft next year becomes if there is truly a QB worth moving up for.

From a pure Draft grade standpoint there will almost certainly be higher graded players than the QB's available at #8...Especially if Geno is gone...If the Bills are leveraging to be able to go elsewhere...away from QB at #8...There can be an argument made no question...

I think the mention of LT makes sense because there is a possibility that a truly elite prospect LT will be available at #8 overall...Of all the possible targets at #8 I think Lane Johnson makes the most sense, in this Draft, if the Bills don't go QB...It's not that the Bills don't have bigger needs at LB, QB, and WR...They do...But in Lane Johnson (or Fisher if he's still there) the Bills can actually improve the O-Line, even though they lost Levitre...Plus they would have quite a nice pair of young bookend OT's for years to come...And like you said, this is the year for a pass if it goes down that way... B-)

Not to mention, drafting an elite LT and shuffling the line with the intention of feeding the ball to CJ would probably give a late first or early second round QB a better chance of succeeding if we do take that route.

Zac Dysert in the 3rd

I really like Dysert...think he is gonna be a hell of a QB one day in the NFL...

Kolb has looked pretty good at times under heavy pressure with the Cards...problem is he is always getting hurt...his lines have been god awful though with Arizona. I remember the Bills game was like a nonstop jail break for the entire defensive line...

A 9.3 percent sack rate lifetime -- that's pretty bad. And I don't necessarily attribute that to the Cards' line. QBs often are so sack prone that they make otherwise average lines look far worse than they really are. See Beck, John; Johnson, Rob; and Kolb, Kevin.

For evidence, check out his sack rate vs. that of the other AZ qbs last year: http://www.pro-footb...ms/crd/2012.htm .

Methinks that Cordy Glenn will be blamed unfairly next year for giving up too many sacks ...

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Kolb is the long term solution for the Bills at QB, but focusing on his sack rate last year compared to the other QBs for Arizona conveniently ignores the fact that the Cards were 4-1 with Kolb as the starter and 1-11 with the other less sacked QBs. The argument could just as easily be made that those other chickens should have manned up and stood in the pocket a little longer behind that putrid OL for the sake of a few more completions. :devil:

PFF lists Kolb as having the exact same grade for the regular season as Joe Flacco(tied for 20th at +4.7) does and higher than Andy Dalton. Either way a significant upgrade over Fitz, who ranked 35th at -18.6

Kolb was 5th best QB in the NFL completion percentage wise when under pressure according to PFF metrics. Gabbert, Roethlesberger, Griffin and Cutler were the only QB's better at completing passes when under pressure than Kolb was...he was also exceptional on play action, which is kind of odd as Arizona had no running game to speak of. He had the 2nd best QB rating in the NFL off of play action at 122.8, second only to Alex Smith.

Kolb does tend to hold the ball a little longer than Fitz. His average time to throw was 2.84 seconds per pasing attempt(28th in the NFL) versus 2.61 for Fitz(tied 8th), so about a quarter of a second difference...

Kolb's average time before starting his throwing motion was 2.59 seconds(tied 20th in the NFL) versus 2.40 for Fitz(4th) and his average time before getting sacked was 3.90 seconds(16th best) versus Fitz's 3.63 seconds(26th best)

Edited by matter2003

http://espn.go.com/n...in-kolb-sources

It's 2 years, $13 Million (in case that update hasn't been posted yet)

At this point, it is only this article that has me remaining calm about this.

".......a two-year deal worth a maximum of $13 million"

If the deal was a flat 2 year 13m.....I'd be punching the walls.

The contract details are bound to become public shortly......and hopefully it will be 3m(ish)/year.....with incentives for number of starts.

JP Lossman version 2.0 ....what a joke

Actually Kolb is signinficantly better than Losman...Losman managed to compile a cumulative -11.9 grade in only 5 games in the 2008 season, which ranked him 71st. Its actually pretty damn hard to be that bad that often to get that poor of a grade...Losman might have set the all time record for worst QB grade if had completed the season...