QB Ryan Fitzpatrick Released

t317

I think it is a decent core. Even the best teams aren't stacked with stars at every position. When you switch coaches & philosophies a fair amount of turnover is to be expected. I suspect we'll see several holes filled with other team's cuts that will fill out the roster nicely so as to fit the new coach's vision. The team wasn't devoid of talent last year, & outside of Levitre I see no significant losses. I don't expect the Bills to tear it up this season, but if Marrone is any good they should be set up nicely to make a run the following year.

I wouldn't call a collection of JAGs a decent core. Maybe outside the DL, OL & RB, there isn't a single unit that doesn't have serious issues.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't call a collection of JAGs a decent core. Maybe outside the DL, OL & RB, there isn't a single unit that doesn't have serious issues.

I'm happy with our secondary. I know we have ?s at CB2 & SS, but I'm not too worried about that. Searcy has played well at SS & A Williams could be a good fit there too. Between Mclovin & Brooks (I'm higher on Brooks than most) I think we're okay at CB2. I suspect another DB or 2 will be added through FA or the draft. While we're weak at WR, we have a solid #1 to build around & one of the deepest WR drafts in recent memory coming up. If we're lucky enough to land our QB in the draft I think we'll be much improved over last year.

So far Nix seems to be the front runner. The only real knock on him is his failure to find a franchise QB, which is a significant indictment of him as that is the most important position on the field. However despite doing a decent, not good but decent, job of drafting, & a good job of bringing in & retaining quality FAs, it's en vogue amongst Bills fans to label him an incompetent POS.

:lol: I love irony

Are you serious? For one that isn't just a knock it is a death sentence for a franchise, when the GM ignores the QB position. That is far from the only knock though, what else has he done? Drafted Spiller, who has turned out good, but was still a luxury pick. What else has he accomplished in his drafts? Aaron Williams in the 2nd round. Dareus is full of potential, but he took a step back last season. Gilmore was OK, but wasn't great when you consider where he was drafted. Torrell Troup in the 2nd round, with a history of health problems. What has he done for the QB position? Drafted on QB in the 7th round-he has drafted just as many kickers. Gave Fitz one of the worst contracts in Bills history. Brought in Vince Young, Tyler Thigpen, gave up a draft pick for Tarvaris Jackson and he was never active on game day. Aaron Corps certainly isn't the savior. He plucked Brian Brohm from the Packers practice squad-Nice. All the meanwhile, passed over a good portion of the good young starting QBs in the NFL for busts like Aaron Williams. If Nix's only knock is the QB position, O.J. Simpson's only knock is his terrible Hertz Rent-a-Car commercials.

Are you serious? For one that isn't just a knock it is a death sentence for a franchise, when the GM ignores the QB position. That is far from the only knock though, what else has he done? Drafted Spiller, who has turned out good, but was still a luxury pick. What else has he accomplished in his drafts? Aaron Williams in the 2nd round. Dareus is full of potential, but he took a step back last season. Gilmore was OK, but wasn't great when you consider where he was drafted. Torrell Troup in the 2nd round, with a history of health problems. What has he done for the QB position? Drafted on QB in the 7th round-he has drafted just as many kickers. Gave Fitz one of the worst contracts in Bills history. Brought in Vince Young, Tyler Thigpen, gave up a draft pick for Tarvaris Jackson and he was never active on game day. Aaron Corps certainly isn't the savior. He plucked Brian Brohm from the Packers practice squad-Nice. All the meanwhile, passed over a good portion of the good young starting QBs in the NFL for busts like Aaron Williams. If Nix's only knock is the QB position, O.J. Simpson's only knock is his terrible Hertz Rent-a-Car commercials.

We'll see how Troup & Easley turn out this year. Spiller & Carrinton were good picks. A Williams & Sheppard look to be misses, but Dareus is better than he gets credit for, and Haiston & Searcy were good value picks, & last years draft looks very good so far. Go look at other team's drafts over the last 10 years & you'll see everyone misses on a lot of picks.

FAs he brought in include Pears, Urbik, Chandler, & Mario - all are projected starters this year. He's also retained several players at reasonable rates. I already acknowledged the QB aspect, but the only QB miss I really fault him for is R Wilson. Obviously you disagree, but Kaep & Dalton were not the no-Brainers hindsight would indicate. I'm not arguing that he's a great GM at all, just that he's not the bumbling idiot he's made out to be by the arm-chair GMs that refuse to acknowlege the good with the bad.

It got glossed over in all the excitement I think.

Exactly. I saw the post hours after the Fitz cut was made & just went right to the last page of posts, & just put my response down in keeping w/ the latest events at the Vatacan. From one historical development to another.What the heck, RW stadium is like the Vatacan to many. GO BILLS!

Nice guy, good family and community man, great football offensive mind (knew where the open guy was), but a professional making the amount of money given to Ryan does not bounce balls off the turf. When they do, they should be willing to look at their play and take a cut for the team. Either way the writing was on the wall that the Bills felt they needed to go in a different direction so he was simply being slotted for a backup or rookie grooming role and that would be a kick to the nads for any QB.

Being a guy who obviously is a student of the game someday he may make an awesome coach, but the physical tools just are not there (at least consistently enough) for him to carry a team. He would make a decent caretaker on a team with a top tier defense and running game (we are not that team), but I do not see him leading a team to the promised land of SB win.

This is the right move to free up money - now they need to shore up the O-Line and defense because you can never develop a rookie QB if he is getting shell-shocked and planted into the turf behind a slip-shod offensive line.

Ain't hindsight wonderful? The Bills were on a role when they resigned Fitz and he was playing very well. You must be the only one who knew it was a guaranteed fluke. Not saying it was a smart move at the time given Fitz's track record, especially at Cincinnati. But no one complained under the circumstances.

There were warning signs. Even during that 5-2 stretch, Fitz wasn't a particularly accurate passer. At the time that stretch was occurring, I wrote that Gailey had seemingly designed an offense to take advantage of Fitz's strengths (quick decision-making and intelligence) while minimizing his weaknesses (accuracy and arm strength). That offense was predicated on Fitz throwing to the mismatched target. The throw itself was generally supposed to be easy; and was not supposed to require anything close to a Montana level of accuracy to result in a completion. At the time that offense was being implemented, I pointed out that it was an experiment; and that only time would tell whether defensive coordinators would figure out an answer for it. They did; starting with that Bengals game.

Later on in that 5-2 stretch, I pointed out that the Bills' method of winning was unsustainable. Started a thread on the subject. If I could see the warning signs, why couldn't the Bills' front office?

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Well he's not really wrong. Tarvaris Jackson is awful

You might be right, you might be wrong, who knows. He never played for the Bills after they gave up a draft pick for him. Buddy has some desire to make the Seahawks as good as can be, and they don't need his help. Besides, if that was Fitz's intention, one terrible quarterback shouldn't be criticizing another terrible quarterback. That would be quite classless, and even though Fitz sucks as a QB, he has always been pretty classy.

OR he simply has confidence in himself the way every player in the NFL does and must have, knew the Bills signed TJax for absolute peanuts to be the back-up, knew the stars on the Bills offense, CJ, SJ and FredEx love him, as do the linemen, and thought to himself, no way a rookie QB from this draft class or TJax beats me out by opening day.

Fitz is gone. Get over it.

i am aware of this.......Sentimental fitz backers are still tops on the whipping boy list, then Aaron Williams, Then I could see Marcell/KW creep up if the defense is pourous again.

FYI....

Unfortunately, after the unbridled enthusiasm of the Bills’ 3-0 start in 2011, they lost 20 of their next 28 games. That’s what led to Ryan Fitzpatrick’s downfall twenty of twenty eight? staggering figures man, not good for the bottom line.

if you want an accurate portrayal of Fitz go listen to Billick on NFL.com it is what it is. Let's not act like losing him is a catastrophic fail.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

i am aware of this.......Sentimental fitz backers are still tops on the whipping boy list, then Aaron Williams, Then I could see Marcell/KW creep up if the defense is pourous again.

if you want an accurate portrayal of Fitz go listen to Billick on NFL.com it is what it is. Let's not act like losing him is a catastrophic fail.

You're now in dead horse beating territory. I know you're happy and all, but it's over.

Is Mario Williams somehow off the hook? Not with me....

+1. And it is time to put some heat on Kyle Williams too. He is part of the problem of being #31 against the run

And Dareus.......................may as well throw in last year's other FA guy Anderson too

We'll see how Troup & Easley turn out this year. Spiller & Carrinton were good picks. A Williams & Sheppard look to be misses, but Dareus is better than he gets credit for, and Haiston & Searcy were good value picks, & last years draft looks very good so far. Go look at other team's drafts over the last 10 years & you'll see everyone misses on a lot of picks.

FAs he brought in include Pears, Urbik, Chandler, & Mario - all are projected starters this year. He's also retained several players at reasonable rates. I already acknowledged the QB aspect, but the only QB miss I really fault him for is R Wilson. Obviously you disagree, but Kaep & Dalton were not the no-Brainers hindsight would indicate. I'm not arguing that he's a great GM at all, just that he's not the bumbling idiot he's made out to be by the arm-chair GMs that refuse to acknowlege the good with the bad.

I agree Kaep might be a hindsight, but Dalton, no way. All the so called experts all said, Dalton was more NFL ready then anyone in that draft class. He isn't Peyton Manning, but the thought that the Bungals got Dalton and we got Aaron Williams picking ahead of them, makes my stomach rumble.

Tom Brady banked win after win after win with a bad defense... your short rant is meaningless.

Thanks! I just get sick of denying our QB problems, which now extend to the 17 year mark. Sooner or later the Bills are going to grow a pair and draft a QB in the first half of the draft (not this year... heck no!) but it is getting ridiculous. How many defensive players can one team draft and ignore the most important position on the field?

Thanks! I just get sick of denying our QB problems, which now extend to the 17 year mark. Sooner or later the Bills are going to grow a pair and draft a QB in the first half of the draft (not this year... heck no!) but it is getting ridiculous. How many defensive players can one team draft and ignore the most important position on the field?

Give them a few more years, there are still a few teams that aren't starting good young quarterbacks that Buddy has passed over for players like Aaron Williams.

Great stuff! I'll say it again, you gotta like Fitz.

Not sure I understand his stance though - I couldn't be a guaranteed starter in Buffalo at my price, but I'm ready to be a back-up now. Somewhere else. Even though my family and I love Buffalo. I would have caved and taken the deal! Might as well make a little less and be in a place you enjoy. I'd love to know the numbers!

Sounds the organization didn't offer much negotiating room, though - a take it or leave it deal.

Bummer, the guy would be a great back-up / mentor for whatever comes next.

Fitz had every opportunity in the world to prove that he could earn that contract. A man must know his limitations and be honest with himself above all else. I wish all the luck in the world because he's got heart. His limitations at QB are physical. It is what it is. It might be wise for him to put his mind to better use in another career before he really gets hurt.

Great stuff! I'll say it again, you gotta like Fitz.

Not sure I understand his stance though - I couldn't be a guaranteed starter in Buffalo at my price, but I'm ready to be a back-up now. Somewhere else. Even though my family and I love Buffalo. I would have caved and taken the deal! Might as well make a little less and be in a place you enjoy. I'd love to know the numbers!

Sounds the organization didn't offer much negotiating room, though - a take it or leave it deal.

Bummer, the guy would be a great back-up / mentor for whatever comes next.

If he's ready to be a back-up and love Buffalo why didn't he take Bills offer? Fitz is a royal fleecer. I wonder where he will end up?

If he's ready to be a back-up and love Buffalo why didn't he take Bills offer? Fitz is a royal fleecer. I wonder where he will end up?

There are several possible reasons for Fitz's actions.

1) It's possible that, despite anything he may have said, he'd strongly prefer to be a starter. If that's the case, maybe he'll wait until after the draft before signing with some team. That way he can go to a team which needs a QB, and which didn't fill that need in the draft.

2) It's also possible that Buffalo was offering him less money than he thought he could get as a free agent.

3) In the phone call with Tampa's GM, Buddy said that Fitz would be "fighting for maybe a backup job." If that's how Buddy regards Fitz, I'm sure some of that had to come through in the negotiations. (If only via the size of offers Buddy was prepared to make.) Maybe Fitz thinks he can find some other team where he'll be more highly regarded.