How would you feel about David Nelson signing with the Pats*?

As in most Bills seasons in the last 10 or 15 years I guess my focus on them starts to fade so forgive me if I missed Nelson's Calvin Johnson's like endzone leaps or his blinding Jerry Rice type quickness. My bad. Point is Bills #2 is a joke and I'm supposed to be impressed with #41 in the league?

Your statement was "Honestly neither here nor there. It's not like we were using him."

Your statement was not "Nelson doesn't impress me-he's not Calvin Johnson or Jerry Rice"

Being #2 in catches on the Bills and #41 overall in the league doesn't prove that he's elite, but it does seem to prove that the Bills were, in fact, using him

I'm not one of those gnashing my teeth, ranting about "stupidity", or comparing Nelson to Welker because the Bills didn't tender him for $2 million, but it's equally silly to say the Bills weren't using him or to imply a guy must be HOF material or top-5 for 2 years to have value to a team as a #2 or #3 wideout

I agree with you PTR. This would be terrible. Brady and Nelson could be a better tandem than Brady and Welker, or at least as good.

Seriously? :flirt:

Anything is possible I suppose. I haven't seen the moves, speed, ability to get open, and route running skills nor the ability to somehow contract himself and make people miss, out of Nelson

But maybe Welker didn't show theses traits in Miami.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your statement was "Honestly neither here nor there. It's not like we were using him."

Your statement was not "Nelson doesn't impress me-he's not Calvin Johnson or Jerry Rice"

Being #2 in catches on the Bills and #41 overall in the league doesn't prove that he's elite, but it does seem to prove that the Bills were, in fact, using him

I'm not one of those gnashing my teeth, ranting about "stupidity", or comparing Nelson to Welker because the Bills didn't tender him for $2 million, but it's equally silly to say the Bills weren't using him or to imply a guy must be HOF material or top-5 for 2 years to have value to a team as a #2 or #3 wideout

Seriously? :flirt:

Anything is possible I suppose. I haven't seen the moves, speed, ability to get open, and route running skills nor the ability to somehow contract himself and make people miss, out of Nelson

But maybe Welker didn't show theses traits in Miami.

Honestly Hopeful, if you can't have a polarized view one way or the other you have no place on an internet forum. :P

I would be unhappy for the Bills because in that offense he would rip them a new one every time they played. The Bills would see twice a year how bad they screwed up.

I'd be happy for him, however.

Looks like there might be something to this: http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

Thanks Doc.

“The hardest part is the realization that we’re not going to be able to finish what we started and what we were building on,” Nelson said. “All that work we put in – individually and collectively – to bring that city something they deserve is difficult. “That city deserves a championship. They’re dying for a playoff-caliber team.”

The Bills could bring him back at a salary well below the $1.323 million tender. The 2013 minimum salary for a player with three accrued seasons is $358,000. That’s a wide gulf to negotiate savings."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Article title is deceiving: Nelson thinks Bills cut him due to injury

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130308/SPORTS/130309316/two-bills-drive

He was not cut, the front office choose to not exercise right to keep player's rights by offering a qualifying offer,

The NFLPA talks like FA is the fairest thing for players so they can get his full worth so he should be happy!

The Bills could bring him back at a salary well below the $1.323 million tender. The 2013 minimum salary for a player with three accrued seasons is $358,000. That’s a wide gulf to negotiate savings."

This is kind of ridiculous. He tore his acl in week 1 last year, so he has had ample recovery time. I don't think I've ever heard of a guy who hasn't been able to come back from that injury.

If the Bills think they're going to get someone for the vet minimum with equal production and promise as Nelson, then they're dreaming. To let him go on a $1.3m tender (with a scarcity at receiver) is a really risky move.

This is kind of ridiculous. He tore his acl in week 1 last year, so he has had ample recovery time. I don't think I've ever heard of a guy who hasn't been able to come back from that injury.

If the Bills think they're going to get someone for the vet minimum with equal production and promise as Nelson, then they're dreaming. To let him go on a $1.3m tender (with a scarcity at receiver) is a really risky move.

Or maybe they want to spend 3m and upgrade!

I think there is something between 2013 minimum salary for a player with three accrued seasons is $358,000 and $1.3M tender. And if he does not sign such a contract with Bills I think he will for another team. He has not shown enough the be getting a multi-million dollar contract.

I don't know if you read the article Doc linked. It said in part:

Nelson has been training at Athletes’ Performance in Dallas. He recently began running routes with free-agent quarterback Seneca Wallace throwing to him. Nelson said the original rehabilitation schedule estimated he would begin running routes in April.

Nelson described his biggest hurdles now as a lack of confidence to put all of his pressure on the knee when making cuts and a hamstring that needs to be strengthened.

Because of the question marks, Nelson likely won’t know what teams are interested for a few more weeks.

I certainly understand the Bills not wanting to make a financial commitment to a player who is still a medical question mark.

Also I think that with so many teams very tight to the cap that we are seeing an unprecedented amount of pencil sharpening by team capologists. Every penny ($1000K) counts and could be the difference between a successful or unsuccessful free agent bid.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I am hoping that the Bills are still interested in him, just not at the RFA tender amount. Coming off that injury, this would make some sense to me. The reports I heard just said they weren't going to offer him the tender amount which was something like $1.7 million to keep his rights.

WRs with great hands that can still perform given the physical play underneath are valuable to an offense, imo. Give me what Naaman Roosevelt or David Nelson offered in their rookie and 2nd years over what TJ Graham did in his rookie year. Often times a 3rd down drop has the same effect as a turnover. Football players vs. track stars.

right on the money.

I don't know if you read the article Doc linked. It said in part:

Nelson has been training at Athletes’ Performance in Dallas. He recently began running routes with free-agent quarterback Seneca Wallace throwing to him. Nelson said the original rehabilitation schedule estimated he would begin running routes in April.

Nelson described his biggest hurdles now as a lack of confidence to put all of his pressure on the knee when making cuts and a hamstring that needs to be strengthened.

Because of the question marks, Nelson likely won’t know what teams are interested for a few more weeks.

I certainly understand the Bills not wanting to make a financial commitment to a player who is still a medical question mark.

Also I think that with so many teams very tight to the cap that we are seeing an unprecedented amount of pencil sharpening by team capologists. Every penny ($1000K) counts and could be the difference between a successful or unsuccessful free agent bid.

You're probably right. Just seems very weird to me that the Bills would be scared off by an ACL, when they are very common injuries these days.

Maybe I am wrong and there are a lot of comparable, cheaper receivers on the market with fewer question marks and bigger upsides--but I am pretty sure there are not. I'd be willing to bet that we have to pony up money for a so-so FA receiver, or else use high picks on a WR. I don't think guys like Nelson are as easy to get--even at that $1.3m price--as Nix thinks.

Where are all the TSW sages who proclaimed an ACL injury is now "no big deal" and that couldn't possibly be the reason the Bills didn't bring him back?

Yes, BillsVet, I'm talking to you.

Where are all the TSW sages who proclaimed an ACL injury is now "no big deal" and that couldn't possibly be the reason the Bills didn't bring him back?

Trusting it and getting strength back is pretty basic process... No?

I still don't think that's a primary reason,

The reaity is that the Bills want to upgrade the receiver corps. Even when he healthy he is a very limited player with a limited route repertoire. He has terrific hands and is a solid person. They prefer a receiver with more versatility and upside.

The coaching and front office staff are undergoing a detailed analysis of their roster. I like the orderly way they are doing it. Even with the Levitre issue they are going about their roster analysis with a rationality and order that didn't exist before. There seems to be a greater emphasis on a cost/benefit approach to the business.