My UFA wish list - 5 players I hope the Bills are considering

merlin

Cliff Avril - DE/OLB - Detroit lions

Brandon Albert - OT - Kansas City

(UPDATE: KC put the franchise tag on Brandon Albert - he's off the market)

Cary Williams - CB - Baltimore

Louis Vasquez - G - San Diego

Paul Kruger - OLB - Baltimore

I know they can't go after all these guys, but I'd be happy if one or two of them had a buffalo on their helmets next season.

Then they can use the draft for QB, WR, TE, and probably S .

GO BILLS!

Edited by merlin

My attempt at coming up with a semi realistic FA wishlist:

WR: Brandon Gibson (he's 25 years old, and the beginning of his career was marred by injuries....had somewhat of a breaout season last year.

S: Laron Landry (Still young at 28, and would bring an immediate "toughness" to our secondary. His connection with Pettine couldn't hurt.)

LB: Larry Grant (49ers LB who played in the shadows of Patrick Willis. He played really well when Willis was injured in 2011.)

CB: Sean Smith (Young, Big corner who would fit in nicely with Pettine's scheme.)

you do realize there are 31 other teams in the league, most being in a better position with upside than the Bills....

My advice, make a new list and start from the bottom of the FA talent pool

I think merlin does know that. Which is why this is called a wish list.

you do realize there are 31 other teams in the league, most being in a better position with upside than the Bills....

My advice, make a new list and start from the bottom of the FA talent pool

Exactly, the Top NFL free agents will never, ever sign with the BIlls.

Signed,

Mario WIlliams

I know they can't go after all these guys, but I'd be happy if one or two of them had a buffalo on their helmets next season.

GO BILLS!

I'm skeptical that the Bills will actually go after any of those guys seriously, but especially doubtful about Avril/Kruger/Albert.

I like that you suggest we still need OT help, because I agree to some extent. However with Glenn looking solid, and a servicble group of options at RT (Hairston, Pears, Sanders?), I doubt the Bills will be looking at top options there.

At CB, it depends on if we resign McKelvin, who Nix has said he wants to start (could be bs). If we don't sign him, Williams could be an option.

I don't know much about Vasquez, other than the fact that the SD oline as a whole looked pretty damn bad last year. But if we don't sign Levitre, we will need one.

Personally I think the Bills biggest needs are LB (ILB for a 3-4, all of them if they stick with a 4-3), WR, and SS.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I wouldn't exclude LB Bart Scott out of the mix. Pettine will want him because he's familar with the defense.

I agree, he's older now but he would fill a big need for us if we do go to a mostly 3-4 D. Plus he would help with the transition. He should come cheap too, although I wonder if the Ravens will also show some interest, seeing as they have some holes themselves.

if the Titans end up letting TE/WR Jared Cook hit free agency, i'd love to take a look at him.

Delane Walker tight end from the 49ers is on the bills radar but Cook would be sweet but too much money unless we can get him for 4 million a year !

I personally would like to see the Bills re-sign Levitre, McKelvin and Merriman. Aren't Merriman's measurables the same as Kruger's? It would be interesting to see Merriman play in Pettine's defense. A far as Branden Albert, lets draft him at #8.

His measurables are the same , that is, until they hit the football field. Then.... no comparison

My attempt at coming up with a semi realistic FA wishlist:

WR: Brandon Gibson (he's 25 years old, and the beginning of his career was marred by injuries....had somewhat of a breaout season last year.

S: Laron Landry (Still young at 28, and would bring an immediate "toughness" to our secondary. His connection with Pettine couldn't hurt.)

LB: Larry Grant (49ers LB who played in the shadows of Patrick Willis. He played really well when Willis was injured in 2011.)

CB: Sean Smith (Young, Big corner who would fit in nicely with Pettine's scheme.)

Good list.

Sean Smith has some holes in his game but he's the prototype for today's cornerback. He has that "plus" size like Browner and Chancellor.

I also like Bighits suggestion of Delanie Walker. He's an all-around excellent football player.

I'm thinking these guys might be second-tier guys and thus, more affordable.

If I'm wrong on their values, the market will clear that up soon enough.

edit: I meant Sherman, not Chancellor.

My semi realistic attempt at a wish list

1.Chris Houston

2.Owen Schmitt

3.Mike DeVito

4.Branden Moore

5.Martellus Bennet.

Moore is a decent idea; he'll probably come for a short deal (3 or so years) with most of the cash going toward this year's cap. Stay away from Cliff Avril, a 4-3 D.E. who will want a massive, lengthy contract. We already overpaid for Williams out of desperation (note: I think he's a good player, but great organizations don't pay that much money for other team's free agents other than QBs) and can't afford someone like Avril.

Grab an offensive lineman and a good L.B. or two who will take a 3-4 year deal at under $4.5m/per.

Delane Walker tight end from the 49ers is on the bills radar but Cook would be sweet but too much money unless we can get him for 4 million a year !

Cook is good, but I would prefer walker anyway...He impressed me every single time he was on the field, he's one of those guys that can help in a lot of ways, and with Chandler still on the roster he would be a great compliment to him.

Side note.. Just say NO to Bennett, he had one decent, but still disappointing year IMO with the Giants...Look at all of the TE's that have looked good with Manning only to do absolutely nothing afterwards, and Bennett didn't even look as good as those guys.

Shockey, Shancoe, Boss, Ballard all looked good with the Giants, with good receivers over the top leaving them wide open, and all were disappointments after that. I see nothing about Bennett that makes me think he will be good after leaving the Giants. He drops a lot of passes, and runs sloppy routes. Probably why the giants don't want him back.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Sean Smith has some holes in his game but he's the prototype for today's cornerback. He has that "plus" size like Browner and Chancellor.

Eh, if he's better than Aaron Williams I'm in, but in general, I'm tired of us signing, drafting (and sticking with) "prototypes". McKelvin is a "prototype". Hardy was a "prototype". Easley is a "prototype". Quit with the prototypes, bring in some guys who can flat out play football. [end rant not directed at SJBF}

Side note.. Just say NO to Bennett, he had one decent, but still disappointing year IMO with the Giants...Look at all of the TE's that have looked good with Manning only to do absolutely nothing afterwards, and Bennett didn't even look as good as those guys.

Shockey, Shancoe, Boss, Ballard all looked good with the Giants, with good receivers over the top leaving them wide open, and all were disappointments after that. I see nothing about Bennett that makes me think he will be good after leaving the Giants. He drops a lot of passes, and runs sloppy routes. Probably why the giants don't want him back.

Also, while Martellus Bennett is big and has fairly good straight line speed, he's clunky and doesn't seem to have any quick twitch. I'd avoid Bennett also.

If there was one TE to pursue in free agency it would be Delanie Walker. Down the field speed and a terrific blocker. Outstanding football player.

Also, while Martellus Bennett is big and has fairly good straight line speed, he's clunky and doesn't seem to have any quick twitch. I'd avoid Bennett also.

If there was one TE to pursue in free agency it would be Delanie Walker. Down the field speed and a terrific blocker. Outstanding football player.

You take Bennett for his in-line blocking, pass catching is a bonus kinda like Lee Smith if he'd get you 40-50 catches a year

Can he cover TEs? ( Gronk,Hernandez)

IMO he is great in coverage, quick never noticed him getting blown out in the flats and I believe the he has the speed to go up the field with Gronk. My only problem with getting him is, it defeats the purpose of getting him if we do not have a Jarret Johnson or Courtney Upshaw type player on the other side. I guess Mario would be perfect for that; on 2nd thought I wouldnt mind getting Kruger, but I would rather have Ellerbe. I have a feeling Kruger will be overpaid by an NFC South team.

(UPDATE: KC put the franchise tag on Brandon Albert - he's off the market)

GO BILLS!

Avril.....nope

Kruger.....hell yea

One guy they should look at getting is TE Bennett from the Giants

Eh, if he's better than Aaron Williams I'm in, but in general, I'm tired of us signing, drafting (and sticking with) "prototypes". McKelvin is a "prototype". Hardy was a "prototype". Easley is a "prototype". Quit with the prototypes, bring in some guys who can flat out play football. [end rant not directed at SJBF}

Chris Houston is a better and probably cheaper option than Smith. IMO.