Pet Peeves- List them

BringBackFergy

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People who speak in the third person. Jim Kelly was an egregious participant at this.

Dibs doesn't know what you are talking about.

(Extra subtle joke for those comic book fans who know my avatar.)

People who use the expression "end all be all".

The correct expression is "be-all and end-all"......taken from Shakespeare's MacBeth....

<If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly: if the assassination could trammel up the consequence, and catch, with his surcease, success; that but this blow might be the be-all and end-all here.>

Edited by Dibs

News anchors and commentators who say "Afghanistaaan" , "Pakistaaaan" and "Talibaaan"....up until about 8 yrs ago it was always with a short "a" sound...now they use the soft "a" sound it it pees me off to no end.

Sort of related. People who say "scallops" like "scollops." they think they're so cool.

Sort of related. People who say "scallops" like "scollops." they think they're so cool.

"scollops" is the standard pronunciation where I live.....but you're right anyway.....I think I'm so cool. B-)

"scollops" is the standard pronunciation where I live.....but you're right anyway.....I think I'm so cool. B-)

Do you keep forks and knives in the kitchen "drawer" or "draw"?? (This will be a good indicator if you are from New England)

In the same vein, I am a walker, and when I'm walking I want to keep my pace/stride..........And, then you get the over-cautious drivers who get to a stop sign, see me 20 yards away from the crossing, and stay stopped.............WTF, do you think I'm going to all of a sudden become Usain Bolt and run as fast as possible and get hit by your car...........I will motion them to keep going, and if they are not total dumbasses, they will, and then I'll look to see where there car is when I actually do go across the crosswalk. About half a mile down the road..............Wow - that was a close one!

It's probably because you're sporting a full on spandex running suit complete with the hood thingy. One other thing...leave the starting blocks at home.

Or how about, "Qwosson" for croissant. Can you imagine the headache of accenting every word with its language of origin?

I think I will go into Dunkin Donuts tomorrow and ask the young girl for a "quasson"...I'll report back if she slaps me across the face.

Being able to remember my first phone number but not some important (to me anyhow) peoples birthdays.

Living in another country, you get a ton of pet peeves. In many cases it is a culture thing... Living in Thailand ones.

Girls when you ask how much, say it's up to you. And then get mad.

Bathrooms are called toilets here

Thai's don't complain about each other (at least not in public) or they lose face, I think they repeat serenity now to themselves or something. They get mad if you get mad enough to complain about something. They say it doesn't matter (or Mai Peng rai) when it matters to you but they have no answer to your complaint or they just don't want to deal with it.

They pretend to understand you (in Thai or English) when you say something and they have no idea what you said they just want the agony of speaking with you to end.

They drive way worse than Americans. Period.

Cops are so low paid they only hassle you to get a bribe.

I could go on and on but I think that is enough.

Edited by bowery4

Being able to remember my first phone number but not some important (to me anyhow) peoples birthdays.

Living in another country, you get a ton of pet peeves. In many cases it is a culture thing... Living in Thailand ones.

Bathrooms are called toilets here

Thai's don't complain about each other (at least not in public) or they lose face, I think they repeat serenity now to themselves or something. They get mad if you get mad enough to complain about something. They say it doesn't matter (or Mai Peng rai) when it matters to you but they have no answer to your complaint or they just don't want to deal with it.

They pretend to understand you (in Thai or English) when you say something and they have no idea what you said they just want the agony of speaking with you to end.

They drive way worse than Americans. Period.

Cops are so low paid they only hassle you to get a bribe.

I could go on and on but I think that is enough.

How's the food??

Tell me more about this..

Girls at the gym who jack the treadmill gradation as high as it goes, and walk...while holding onto the monitor, thus negating the incline altogether.

Guys at the gym who walk over to the dumbbell rack, grab their dumbbells and proceed to do their exercise without moving, thus blocking anyone from accessing any of the dumbbells or replacing any of the dumbbells in the space in front of them.

Girls at the gym who jack the treadmill gradation as high as it goes, and walk...while holding onto the monitor, thus negating the incline altogether.

Guys at the gym who walk over to the dumbbell rack, grab their dumbbells and proceed to do their exercise without moving, thus blocking anyone from accessing any of the dumbbells or replacing any of the dumbbells in the space in front of them.

Guys who insist on grunting and groaning obnoxiously at the gym. We get it...you're feelin the burn buddy :thumbsup:

Guys at the gym.