Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

JPS

I don't think that this is a smoke screen (or shocking). The Bills have 1 WR and a decent TE coming off of MAJOR surgery. That is it in terms of pass catchers!! I think that we will see a minimum of 2 and possibly 3 players drafted between TE and WR.

Not sure, but its telling teams like the Titans, Panthers, Rams and Steelers...who have been linked to Tavon...if you want Austin...you have to go through Buffalo.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that this is a smoke screen (or shocking). The Bills have 1 WR and a decent TE coming off of MAJOR surgery. That is it in terms of pass catchers!! I think that we will see a minimum of 2 and possibly 3 players drafted between TE and WR.

It's on the team's official site. Isn't that a pretty sure sign this is smokescreen stuff? I mean, if you were the Buffalo Bills' FO and you truly wanted Austin and were thinking of taking him at #8, would you actually say on your official website that he's "high" on your radar? That would take balls. To me, that's a sure sign they have no intention of drafting Austin. The comment seems much too exaggerated.

I think the Bills want either a defensive stud like Jordan or Jones...or they want the big body/big play receiver Patterson at #8 or after trading down a few spots for an extra pick. I could also see them trading way back with Niners for 3 extra picks in this draft.

Now we're talking!!!. Not that I think the Bills are going to take Austin, but it's the kind of blustery talk than might get someone to move up...with us or 5-7. That may free up another choice.

Agreed...I have no problem with this kind of talk...It's great...Assuming it's not honest because...and this is just me...I don't want Austin at #8...No way, no how...Like I said before...If they pick him there I have some big-time decisions to make about my future as a Bills fan...That's how strongly I am against Tavon Austin as the Bills 1st pick this year...And it's nothing against Austin necessarily...Just not for the Bills at this time...I think it would be a terrible pick...

But a smokescreen is AOK in my book...He seems to be the hot rising name...It can't hurt to fake interest...In fact it would be really smart... B-)

Agreed...I have no problem with this kind of talk...It's great...Assuming it's not honest because...and this is just me...I don't want Austin at #8...No way, no how...Like I said before...If they pick him there I have some big-time decisions to make about my future as a Bills fan...That's how strongly I am against Tavon Austin as the Bills 1st pick this year...And it's nothing against Austin necessarily...Just not for the Bills at this time...I think it would be a terrible pick...

But a smokescreen is AOK in my book...He seems to be the hot rising name...It can't hurt to fake interest...In fact it would be really smart... B-)

I look at his massive production and have to respectfully disagree about Austin. I don't think he'll be the pick, but would be OK with it. I think it's smoke. I'm trying to put meaning on it coming from Whaley and not Nix, but I'm not sure it's appropriate.

The fact that the kid never came in for a visit all but takes him off the list IMO.

point taken

We need to put a press release out saying we want Milner too. They probably haven't yet because he might go before our pick, but I know a lot of teams later in the draft need a corner so if he is still available when we pick at #8 then I want all of the teams thinking we will take him unless they compensate us with some extra picks!

Edited by kdiggz

We need to put a press release out saying we want Milner too. They probably haven't yet because he might go before our pick, but I know a lot of teams later in the draft need a corner so if he is still available when we pick at #8 then I want all of the teams thinking we will take him unless they compensate us with some extra picks!

If Milner is there at 8, I expect the Bills to rush to the podium (like they normally do) to draft him.

It's on the team's official site. Isn't that a pretty sure sign this is smokescreen stuff? I mean, if you were the Buffalo Bills' FO and you truly wanted Austin and were thinking of taking him at #8, would you actually say on your official website that he's "high" on your radar? That would take balls. To me, that's a sure sign they have no intention of drafting Austin. The comment seems much too exaggerated.

I think the Bills want either a defensive stud like Jordan or Jones...or they want the big body/big play receiver Patterson at #8 or after trading down a few spots for an extra pick. I could also see them trading way back with Niners for 3 extra picks in this draft.

Buddy has always been pretty forthright about who they were interested in. It certainly is out there to entice teams to trade up but by no means would I be surprised that the Bills were interested in the most explosive playmaker in the draft. I guess the point that I was making is that of course they are interested in him. They lack playmakers!!

maybe its a double secret smokescreen and they fooled you.

Buddy has always been pretty forthright about who they were interested in. It certainly is out there to entice teams to trade up but by no means would I be surprised that the Bills were interested in the most explosive playmaker in the draft. I guess the point that I was making is that of course they are interested in him. They lack playmakers!!

If they are comfortable with his character, I sense that Patterson is their guy. He made a big impression in the SEC and they may feel like he's ready to be a big time player on the outside in the NFL with Stevie playing the slot.

maybe its a double secret smokescreen and they fooled you.

It would take big balls to do that...LOL

If they are comfortable with his character, I sense that Patterson is their guy. He made a big impression in the SEC and they may feel like he's ready to be a big time player on the outside in the NFL with Stevie playing the slot.

someone else takes him, we are none the wiser and all just write it off as a trick in the first place.

I have to ask, if you had a chance to add Desean Jackson to your roster would you?

To be fair are they similar prospects? IMO, I would take Austin over Jackson. I fore one would def take Austin at #8 overall. I never factor into measurables because how many physical specimens have ended up being busts.

just imagine having Spiller and Austin on the field at the same time. Talk about playmakers! We would lead the league 50+ yard TD's. Speaking of which, does anyone think Kolb or Rookie X can command any 15-20 play TD drives?

That being said, I'm sure its a smokescreen, as Buddy's record shows that he doesn't draft players high without official visits. But it does make me wonder if Austin would be a lot higher if Gailey was still HC.

Patterson did not "make a big impression in the SEC." For his talent, he drastically underachieved.

The Tavon Austin smoke screen is directed right towards St Louis and Minnesota, both teams who have the cards to deal

If Bills are going with Barkley or Nassib in the 1st, makes a lot of sense to trade down and get an extra pick. Could see the Jets take Geno, but couldn't see Jets taking Barkley or Nassib at #9. Fans would go nuts and Rex and new GM are operating on a short leash. After Jets at #9, not much risk a QB will be taken until the mid-late 20's in a trade-up scenario.

We get to pick at #8 so let's take the pick and not trade back. 40 TD's at West Virginia. Who cares about size. The only size that matters is yardage and TDs not how big someone is. Without question WR is our BIGGEST need. Even Brady would struggle with our WR corp. Watch the tape Buddy and just do the right thing. Tavon Austin @ #8.

I hate when people compare Austin to Desean Jackson in Philly. Completely different builds. Jackson's much more dense, so although he's short, he can still take a beating. Austin will get destroyed in the pros. All those underneath routes he ran in the highlights where h could just run through the defense untouched? Not happening in the NFL. He would get destroyed. Players are bigger and faster, which means that Austin will get hurt and play in maybe half the games each year, at most

Hope he doesn't get hurt, but here's another reason why I feel Austin's "bust" potential is very high. -I'd start him out at KR and see what he does... Then ease him into the receiver position. IMO, this is what should have happened with TJ Graham. College to Pro for the smaller recievers can be a tough transition.