Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

JPS

I love Tavon on the field....but I keep thinking of Roscoe and shudder....huge potentional......getting hit big big fast guys.

I like my football players big and fast.......which is why I cant see tavon in the 1st round to us

As a stated months ago, Parrish had about 2,000 yards and 15 TDs over his college career. Austin had 7,000 and 40TDs. Talk about apples and oranges. I'm just thinking...just as with Russell Wilson...maybe you can't pigeonhole this player. The signs are there that he's going to be a playmaker in the NFL.

He's never been hit and he's never been hurt. I wouldn't be disappointed with him. All signs are that this offense is going to be 3 to 5 step drops and you need quick WRs to make that work.

It is a risk. I acknowledge that. But 7,000 and 40 keeps grabbing my attention.

Edited by JPS

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a stated months ago, Parrish had about 2,000 yards and 15 TDs over his college career. Austin had 7,000 and 40TDs. Talk about apples and oranges.

Production differences aside, a 174 pound body is a 174 pound body. Austin's a thin-boned 174 to boot, rather than a Steve Smith type who could bulk up to withstand NFL punishment.

Like the concept, but fear the size issue would always limit his ability to play 16+ games on Sundays...

This would Dissapoint me. It seems the team has had a perpetual stream of more natural slot WRs trying to play wideout. Stevie seems to be best suited for slot, TJ, the same, nelson played slot and jonses Hardy and Easley were the last attempts at wide outs, Evans the most effective in recent times, and few and far between.

Yea just like the same people who were all bitching about Spiller are the ones so glad that we drafted him now that he is a stud. Your the same people who will knock this guy and then when he turns into a stud either here or elsewhere who will go geez how could we pass on that guy. Do you guys realize how dynamic the Nills offense would be with this guy in the fold slot receiver only or not. It would open things up big time in the passing and the running game because teams can stack the box cause they only are worried about Johnson at WR. Plus, I hate the people's who arguments are he can only play the slot. This isn't 1994, slot WR's are difference makers nowadays. Welker, Amendola, Victor Cruz,Santana Moss, Percy Harvin, Antonio Brown etc etc ...you wouldn't kill to have any of those players in their prime? Now obviously he hasn't reached that level but if his upside is that than he is def worth the 8th pick.

There is no questioning Austin's ability...And he may very well be a top 15 pick...But for a team with desperate needs in so many other areas, the Bills simply cannot afford a luxury pick like Austin in the 1st round...Picks like that are exactly what keep Franchises wallowing in mediocrity for years and years...

Austin is the type of player you go after aggressively when you feel you're that single dimension away from being a Championship contender...Not when you have no idea who your #2 WR is going to be, you have huge needs at LB, TE, OG, and most important of all you have a poor Depth Chart at QB...

Honestly...I have to say...If the Bills trade down and grab a bunch of extra picks, then get Austin, I could give them a pass...Though I still think it's unwise...I don't like the strategy at all...I'm already on record not liking Warmack, or Jarvis Jones to The Bills in the 1st...But I would welcome either one of those two over Austin at this time...I just don't think it's a good idea at all... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Reality time, he is 5'8" about 175 lbs. He can only play in the slot and he gets hurt a lot.

I love it when people completely make up bold faced lies. Tavon Austin never missed a game in college. Played in every game for 4 years. Yet you claim he "gets hurt a lot." :wallbash:

I love it when people completely make up bold faced lies. Tavon Austin never missed a game in college. Played in every game for 4 years. Yet you claim he "gets hurt a lot." :wallbash:

You're 100% right about this...Austin is a player and he's been very durable...I just don't like him for the Bills at this point in time...But I do like him as a player... B-)

id rather have trayvon martin

I generally find that you have value to add to the conversations here. This was far from one of those times.

Tavon Austin has great hands, great speed, great lateral quickness and was extremely durable in college due to his elusiveness and ability to get away from would-be tacklers. Though the players in the NFL are bigger and faster on average, an NFL squad would be pretty dumb to ignore such a high-level of college production. That would pretty much discount the play of every speedy player in college if they followed the logic of "they can't maintain it in the pros" every time. The guy would be a good pick-up if the Bills traded down and WR is a definite position of need in 13/14 for the Bills.

I'd like to at least see Robert Woods, if available, in the 3rd if the Bills go LB in 1 (smart call) and QB in 2 (expected call). Playmakers are definitely going to be a necessity with the current group on offense and the QB's in place.

There is no questioning Austin's ability...And he may very well be a top 15 pick...But for a team with desperate needs in so many other areas, the Bills simply cannot afford a luxury pick like Austin in the 1st round...Picks like that are exactly what keep Franchises wallowing in mediocrity for years and years...

Austin is the type of player you go after aggressively when you feel you're that single dimension away from being a Championship contender...Not when you have no idea who your #2 WR is going to be, you have huge needs at LB, TE, OG, and most important of all you have a poor Depth Chart at QB...

Honestly...I have to say...If the Bills trade down and grab a bunch of extra picks, then get Austin, I could give them a pass...Though I still think it's unwise...I don't like the strategy at all...I'm already on record not liking Warmack, or Jarvis Jones to The Bills in the 1st...But I would welcome either one of those two over Austin at this time...I just don't think it's a good idea at all... B-)

Let's also compare those statistics, though. Austin had a LOT more touches, yards, scores, everything. He is like turbo-charged Roscoe with a lot more road-testing to see what he can handle and what he's capable of.

Again, lunacy to get him at #8, especially for this and most Bills teams, but Austin is going to make someone pretty happy unless they are unable to create space for him.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Both of you obviously think Austin is going to do well in the NFL, but don't think its wise for the Bills to take him? Why would he be a great pick for a playoff team, but a bad pick for a worse team? Bad teams need good players, especially now when the NFL offenses are run like flag football teams. Our current passing game features Stevie and ...? Austin could step right in and add an additional dimension to the offense.

I don't understand this line of thinking. Both of you obviously think Austin is going to do well in the NFL, but don't think its wise for the Bills to take him? Why would he be a great pick for a playoff team, but a bad pick for a worse team?

Simple. You don't add a gold plated 3-d projection entertainment system to a house with no roof or furnace....

I don't understand this line of thinking. Both of you obviously think Austin is going to do well in the NFL, but don't think its wise for the Bills to take him? Why would he be a great pick for a playoff team, but a bad pick for a worse team? Bad teams need good players, especially now when the NFL offenses are run like flag football teams. Our current passing game features Stevie and ...? Austin could step right in and add an additional dimension to the offense.

It's just not a smart team-building move...Especially when you don't have a Franchise-caliber QB yet...You only have 6 picks as it is...If the Bills had 12 picks I might feel differently about adding Austin...You can't Draft everyone you like...It's impossible...But if Drafting Austin means I have zero chance of getting EJ Manuel...Then I don't want him...And that's exactly what I think Drafting Austin would cost the Bills this year...A chance at a better QB than you're going to be able to get in the 2nd Round or later...It's just my opinion...But that's how I see it... B-)

It's just not a smart team-building move...Especially when you don't have a Franchise-caliber QB yet...You only have 6 picks as it is...If the Bills had 12 picks I might feel differently about adding Austin...You can't Draft everyone you like...It's impossible...But if Drafting Austin means I have zero chance of getting EJ Manuel...Then I don't want him...And that's exactly what I think Drafting Austin would cost the Bills this year...A chance at a better QB than you're going to be able to get in the 2nd Round or later...It's just my opinion...But that's how I see it... B-)

Fair enough. I actually do want us to take a QB at #8 (just not Nassib), because QB is priority #1 until you have a good one. I would not want to pass on a QB for Austin. However, hypothetically, lets assume the Bills plan on trading back up into late round 1 to grab a QB, then Austin would be in a short list of players i'd be ok with taking at #8. Adding a playmaker in the passing game, when that's how you win in the current NFL, is NOT a mistake.

a) spiller was an absolutely brilliant pick. not to say i told you so but i was thrilled when they ran up to the podium and picked him. idc that they had freddie and thugnificent, spiller was potentially the best player in the entire draft, he was an absolute steal at nine, and thus it was the right move to make. throw in that thugnificent was (and still is) one strike away from a season long ban only makes it more brilliant. if the coaches really think they can get another one like that at eight then they gotta pull the trigger. and btw, i did tell you so

3) all that said, not sure what they would do with him since they have already stated they want stevie in the slot. if they take austin for that role then what do they do with stevie? and if they use that pick for him, how are they gonna get that big body wr for the outside that they desperately need? for this reason among others i frankly doubt they really plan to pick austin at eight and would only pick him high if they can trade down to get another pick

red) wes welker is overrated. you could put me in the slot with my cane and id catch eighty balls for twelve hundred from marcia the cheating hofer. wes is only slightly better than that

Fair enough. I actually do want us to take a QB at #8 (just not Nassib), because QB is priority #1 until you have a good one. I would not want to pass on a QB for Austin. However, hypothetically, lets assume the Bills plan on trading back up into late round 1 to grab a QB, then Austin would be in a short list of players i'd be ok with taking at #8. Adding a playmaker in the passing game, when that's how you win in the current NFL, is NOT a mistake.

I can see that...Thing is giving up picks when you only have 6 to start with, and more needs than picks, kinda makes me cringe...But if they really hit on the first 4 players they Drafted it would be OK I guess...I just want more picks...Not less...If they were to trade back in the 1st, and somehow come away with Austin and EJ Manuel with the first two picks...I would be very happy...Easier said than done though...Right? :D