Tavon Austin - WR - West Virginia

JPS

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But to some extent like Russell Wilson, I think he is a guy who could really take off and defy those who doubt him due to his size.

Apples and plumbs. Wilson is thick-bodied semi-RB/QB hybrid, while Austin is just a 174-pound smurf with a very thin lower body.

Personally, Roscoe 2.0 would be a big disappointment, and a horrible risk for a new coaching staff to take with their first draft unless it's through some creative trading (which is not Nix's forte)...

Edited by Lurker

With TJ Graham as the small, fast receiver takem fairly high in the draft (who has questionable hands and infamously ran the wrong route at a critical time) I would be upset to see them use a high draft pick on another small, fast receiver, even if he is better on paper. Too many other holes to fill. I would rather see them draft yet another first round DB than another small, fast receiver.

Apples and plumbs. Wilson is thick-bodied semi-RB/QB hybrid, while Austin is just a 174-pound smurf with a very thin lower body.

I don't think their body types are anything alike and I hope it didn't look like I was suggesting that. I just meant that both could be undervalued due to their limitations in stature. A thick-bodied shifty waterbug receiver ain't goin' nowhere in the NFL, anyway. He'll be tracked down and feasted upon like a young gazelle by a big-ass lion.

The problem is whether that body can take abuse or not, and whether he's fast enough to avoid it. Roscoe ultimately couldn't. I value Austin a bit higher than Parrish.

With TJ Graham as the small, fast receiver takem fairly high in the draft (who has questionable hands and infamously ran the wrong route at a critical time)

These last two reasons you note are why Austin would be a substantial upgrade.

I value Austin a bit higher than Parrish.

Yes, he's an intriguing player who's got more potential than Roscoe.

But teams drafting at #8 are doing so for a reason--and can't take risks like this. It's the reason why good teams drafting in the bottom third of the round always seem to strike gold--they CAN take risks and add players like Austin to a roster that's in good shape already.

[/size]

Yes, he's an intriguing player who's got more potential than Roscoe.

But teams drafting at #8 are doing so for a reason--and can't take risks like this. It's the reason why good teams drafting in the bottom third of the round always seem to strike gold--they CAN take risks and add players like Austin to a roster that's in good shape already.

I wholeheartedly agree. Would not take at #8 and will be annoyed if they do. Those teams drafting in the late teens and twenties are always sitting pretty for the great guards and TEs as well.

Personally, Roscoe 2.0 would be a big disappointment, and a horrible risk for a new coaching staff to take with their first draft unless it's through some creative trading (which is not Nix's forte)...

Exactly... B-)

Reality time, he is 5'8" about 175 lbs. He can only play in the slot and he gets hurt a lot. The only team that would pick him @ #8 is a stupid team. Granted he can be electric, when healthy. But, this is a luxury pick for a team that is clearly SB material, or on the cusp and has a lot of depth at WR. My guess is the niners will move up to somwhere near the middle of the first round to snatch him up. Touche' for the Harvin move that the Seadogs made.

Hackett or any of the coaches may say a lot of things... and 99% of them are usually taken not just out of context, but way out of context. Why would he not want Austin? Why would he not want a lot of guys? He's already got Spiller and he's already got TJ. adding someone else similar at the top of the draft is shear insanity when you've got a bizillion other holes to fill.... just talkin reality... not pretend.

Oh ya he's injured all the time huh....hes missed 4 plays in college. He's not injury prone. Why don't you do some research next time before you give an unsubstantiated opinion. The draft is not about filling needs its about finding the best players for the future of your team.

Nope. Played 36 games for the 'Canes...

http://www.totalfoot...rQB.asp?id=3047

Let's also compare those statistics, though. Austin had a LOT more touches, yards, scores, everything. He is like turbo-charged Roscoe with a lot more road-testing to see what he can handle and what he's capable of.

Again, lunacy to get him at #8, especially for this and most Bills teams, but Austin is going to make someone pretty happy unless they are unable to create space for him.

I said it the other day but I think that Austin is a combination of Welker and Desean Jackson. I think that the Bills will have a difficult time sustaining drives because of average-below average QB play. They are going to have to hit some big plays to score. They are not going to be able to surgically go down the field on 18 play drives a la Tom Brady. Spiller and McKelvin play an important role for this very reason. Austin would be another player in that mold. I see the appeal. I would be cool with him in a trade back situation but I don't think that it will happen. I would be surprised if he wasn't a top 13 pick.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Let's also compare those statistics, though. Austin had a LOT more touches, yards, scores, everything. He is like turbo-charged Roscoe with a lot more road-testing to see what he can handle and what he's capable of.

How much is the player and how much is the way college offenses are set up today? It's Playstation football in college today, IMO.

The NFL is taking some of that approach as well, but the DBs and LBs at this level can deliver a lot more 'thunder and lightning' than the guys Austin's been playing against in the FSB...