Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Tennessee

I'm seeing more and more mocks with us taking Patterson, WR Tenn with our 8th pick. I don't deny the need for a #2 WR, but I'm reading way too much about this kid that scares me. I get the size and speed and you can see it on tape. But I think a top 10 first round pick should be an immediate impact player like Julio Jones or AJ Green were.

Many of the scouting reports I read say he is the best of a weak class, catches with his body, and will only go high due to lack of other options.

I have no idea about him. Anyone out there know more about the kid that is game for taking him at 8?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't need this guy!!

Sincerely,

Brad Smith, TJ Graham, Marcus Easley, Kevin Elliott and Chris Hogan

Patterson is a big, explosive athlete with the ability to score from anywhere. It is hard to sustain long drives in the NFL with average-below average QB play. If you are going to win games you are going to have to make some big plays. I firmly believe that is why McKelvin got the contract that he did and why Spiller is so important. A guy who can take a 7 yard slant 76 yards for a TD appeals to me (especially with the need at the position).

If we go WR at #8, it better be Tavon Austin.

Patterson's best attribute is his gamebreaking ability after the catch, and I would venture to say that Austin is better in that area. Not to mention that Austin is a better route runner, has better hands and he has more than a season worth of production.

In my opinion, the WR class is loaded with Day 2 talent that may also be better than Patterson. There is a great chance that guys like Robert Woods, DeAndre Hopkins or Justin Hunter (who was the #1 receiver at Tennessee, not Patterson) will be available.

We don't need this guy!!

Sincerely,

Brad Smith, TJ Graham, Marcus Easley, Kevin Elliott and Chris Hogan

Patterson is a big, explosive athlete with the ability to score from anywhere. It is hard to sustain long drives in the NFL with average-below average QB play. If you are going to win games you are going to have to make some big plays. I firmly believe that is why McKelvin got the contract that he did and why Spiller is so important. A guy who can take a 7 yard slant 76 yards for a TD appeals to me (especially with the need at the position).

If this is what you are looking for, shouldn't you prefer Tavon Austin? Patterson seems more like the guy for long bombs and big redzone targets.

If this is what you are looking for, shouldn't you prefer Tavon Austin? Patterson seems more like the guy for long bombs and big redzone targets.

I like Austin too but Patterson is that guy as well. He is an electrifying open field runner and return man (not that we need a return man). He was asking for a sales job on Patterson so I gave it my best shot.

I'm with you on this OP, Patterson has had a handful of great games in his div 1 career, I know there is a ton of upside there but I think it's idiotic to draft a player based on potential at #8. That's what they did with Maybin and we know how that went. If you're drafting in the top 10 you need to go with a guy who has a much better body of work.

Have you seen Pattersons highlight videos?

Most of his TDs are slants and not long TD receptions.

His is big, fast and can make defenders miss. He's a WR with the elusiveness of Spiller.

One thing scouts point out is that he only has 1 year of college ball experience as his first 2 seasons were spent at JUCO.

But Newton only had 1 year as a pro and hes doing fine.

Its a risk/reward thing if we draft him.

CBF

His is big, fast and can make defenders miss. He's a WR with the elusiveness of Spiller.

One thing scouts point out is that he only has 1 year of college ball experience as his first 2 seasons were spent at JUCO.

CBF

While he's good after the catch, I definitely wouldn't go that far...I'm not in favor of Patterson at 8. I'd rather have a guy like Patton or Swope later.

Patterson's best attribute is his gamebreaking ability after the catch, and I would venture to say that Austin is better in that area. Not to mention that Austin is a better route runner, has better hands and he has more than a season worth of production.

In my opinion, the WR class is loaded with Day 2 talent that may also be better than Patterson. There is a great chance that guys like Robert Woods, DeAndre Hopkins or Justin Hunter (who was the #1 receiver at Tennessee, not Patterson) will be available.

I agree with this. All accounts repeat theat Patterson can't run routes. Not much room for a guy like that at #8

Edited by Mr. WEO

I believe Patterson is a high risk, high reward player. His explosiveness is clear in his play. He is the physical specimen that Bills fans have raged about having for years now. His size and speed alone are elite and put him in a class similar to the major receivers in the NFL. I would love the Bills to go after him. The way I look at it, he will be able to come in and play immediately have an impact. Definitely can use some help in route running. If either of the big two tackles fall to 8, you take them. If not, I think you look to Patterson to be the guy.

Note: I am in no way suggesting Patterson is as good, or will be as good as Johnson, Johnson, Marshall. Bryant, etc. He merely mirrors their athletic skill set and size.

I'm with you on this OP, Patterson has had a handful of great games in his div 1 career, I know there is a ton of upside there but I think it's idiotic to draft a player based on potential at #8. That's what they did with Maybin and we know how that went. If you're drafting in the top 10 you need to go with a guy who has a much better body of work.

Or try one game vs. Troy who can hardly be considered a Div 1 school. 9 Receptions for 219 yards and a TD. The rest of the season combined 37 Receptions for 559 yards and 4TDs. While he does have some rushing and return stats as well, his WR stats are very underwhelming. Also, only one season played Div 1. Being that he had a NFL calibre QB throwing to him, didn't have a single game over 100 yards besides that Troy game, and wasn't even the #1 reciever on his sub-par SEC squad, I'm going to say I would be very disappointed to draft him so high. Way too many WRs available in the second round with much more consistancy and developed talent. Sure, he may have the biggest potential, but also, by far, the greatest risk. We're not in position to take such a risk at #8. No thanks.

This is my overall feeling as well. We are looking for a #2, not a second #1. I'd rather give Pettine a guy to play with on D with this pick who can make an impact immediately. To me, the perfect solution would be:

Trade back, get defensive player mid 1st, qb with 2nd, WR with other 2nd from trade. From there, G, S, LB's

CBF

WR at 8? No.

i think we are looking for a #1 actually. SJ is pretty good, but his numbers compare to a good #2, not a star #1. he gets to 1000 based on being by far the most targeted... while the best get 1400 yrads, and good #2's get 1000.

based on buddy's comments we aren't going for an Austin, too small. Patterson is raw, needs to learn routes and track a deep ball... but at the same time he can do what Austin does and break a short crossing pattern for a TD, or can get jump balls or short stop routes.... and EVENTUALLY learn more complex patterns and deeper things. even though he has the potential to do more and isn't there, i think there ARE things he can do right now.

i don't know if he's worth the 8, but he's probably the only one to consider there. if we don;t go with him, i think someone like Aaron Dobson in the 2nd or 3rd are where we'd look. big tall athletic guy with big catch radius and good speed too. Woods is ok, but limited... Swope, i watched and said to myself "fearless over the middle... probably will get concussed in the NFL playing like that". THEN i read he had a concussion history, lol... i'll pass.

He's talented with the ball in his hands, no doubt about it. I question his route running and his hands. Picking a WR at 8, he shouldn't have questions about his route running and hands. I hope he's not the pick and I think there will be better value options at WR in rd 2-4. I'd rather address LB, pass rush or even QB/OL. Drafting him @8 is a big reach IMO and we'd be better served waiting on a WR. No to Patterson.

The way that I look at it is the Bills need 2 contributing WR at least. There are less and less busts at the WR position because of the pro style attacks that college teams have adopted. AJ Jenkins being the exception and his college team played a college offense. I would like WR early and then mid-late. Right now there is one WR and an injured TE on this roster. Teams are going to LOAD the box which obviously hurts the running game. How are the Bills going to score points?