Cordarrelle Patterson - WR - Tennessee

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His 4.4 speed doesnt surprise me... but the 37 inch vertical and that broad jump....

His sport science NBA comparison would be Derrick Rose ... he is 6'3 190-195... Patterson is 6'2 and 25lbs heavier...

i don't watch much basketball but after seeing that video I'm very Suprised Tose doesn't get stuffed on dunks more. Of course because he's so quick and elusive it's hard for others to get into place to do so, but at least 4 of those dunks, he brings the ball way back behind his head. Just seems like other NBA players would catch on and strip it in the way up from behind, or give them enough time to block the dunk from the front.

The kid is really good though, too bad he's got the injury.

You're doing the same thing that the most in this thread are doing, making a judgement based on one highlight film, and a poorly put together highlight film at that.

You are wrong about Patterson's ability to catch with his hands. Watch his game film (not just the highlights). When he needs to, he uses his hands better than most college WRs (for the most part, I meant that he can catch with his hands in traffic and hold on to the ball after taking a hit). He does use his body a lot, but he uses it at the right times, to shield defenders.

As seen in this film and others that show more, his athleticism, vision, and change of direction are amazing! You can downplay that all you want, but it's HUGE for a WR.

Poor route running? Prove it. Just another over hyped draft-ism like "has trouble shedding blocks" or "needs better footwork" or "raw"...basically, a bunch of bull **** that people spew to make themselves sound like they know what they're talking about.

The biggest knock on Patterson (and it's a big one) is his limited time at that level. I'm always hesitant of one year wonders, and he is no exception. The draft is a crap shoot, anyone can succeed and anyone can fail. But how anyone can actually watch this guy play (not just highlights) and think he doesn't have what it takes to make that next step is a mystery to me.

Personally, I don't know about drafting him at 8. I think he will succeed in the NFL and can really change our offense (adding him to Stevie and Spiller sounds great to me), but I'm more of a OL and defensive front seven type guy when it comes to high draft picks. The fact that there aren't a lot of those guys available in this draft makes me think CP wouldn't be a bad pick.

Here's some better film of him in a lot of different situations (kick returns, running, and catching both with his body and hands).

My first extended look at him. His ability to get off the line is impressive against NCAA CBs. Same goes for his change of direction. Cuts look very crisp.

But...hate the thought of a WR at #8 when we have sooooooo many needs.

My first extended look at him. His ability to get off the line is impressive against NCAA CBs. Same goes for his change of direction. Cuts look very crisp.

id agree with this. I wouldn't even mind a WR at 8 if he was a big towering physical WR. Not saying CP isn't physical, but I want a guy that runs people over and goes up for the ball instead of around them.

Generally I agree, but this draft is so weak that I honestly don't think I'll be overly excited by anyone they pick. I think CP will be just as good as the rest of the bunch, and like it or not, with Jones and Nelson off the roster WR is one of the teams biggest needs.

id agree with this. I wouldn't even mind a WR at 8 if he was a big towering physical WR. Not saying CP isn't physical, but I want a guy that runs people over and goes up for the ball instead of around them.

He isn't huge, but he actually does run over people. It's pretty evident, especially on his runs. The one thing he doesn't seem to have, or at least to have shown, is the ability to jump and fight for the ball at it's high point. I don't recall seeing him get beat for jump balls either though, just a lack of opportunity for those types of plays I suppose. Seems like his vertical would make it a strength for him, but I've seen plenty of tall receivers who can't make plays off their feet, so who knows.

This guy looks dominant. And does it in SEC. Big 6'3" 200+. Fast. Looks like Julio Jones - I think he looks better than Julio did in college. His speed and cuts remind me of .... Spiller a little bit - in the way they were head and shoulders above the competition at the collegiate level. This guy is WORTH 8 overall!

But watch the video and see for your self.

Justin Hunter over Cordarelle Patterson IMO. Taller, jumps higher, just as fast , and caught almost 2x's as many passes as Patterson

What would you give to get an AJ Green / Julio Jones? This kid could be special. The Bills have been desperate for a top ten WR for about as long as they needed a QB.

Mike Mayock's jaw dropped when he watched the tape on this kid. Grab him in the first and Nassib in the 2nd. If Nassib is gone then Bray works.

Justin Hunter over Cordarelle Patterson IMO. Taller, jumps higher, just as fast , and caught almost 2x's as many passes as Patterson

Hunter is ranked the 10th WR on some site, how is his knee?

READ THIS!

"You can bet the Bills took a good long look at Cordarrelle Patterson and the other wideouts at the NFL combine on Sunday."

"Buffalo, which owns the eighth overall pick, is overhauling its receiving corps." Finally :worthy:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21761020/bills-revamping-wideout-corps-prelude-to-cordarrelle-patterson-

Edited by FeartheLosing

What would you give to get an AJ Green / Julio Jones? This kid could be special. The Bills have been desperate for a top ten WR for about as long as they needed a QB.

Mike Mayock's jaw dropped when he watched the tape on this kid. Grab him in the first and Nassib in the 2nd. If Nassib is gone they Bray works.

Mayock's jaw dropped when he watched tape of Patterson?

Do you have a link to an article that backs that up?

CBF

Mayock's jaw dropped when he watched tape of Patterson?

Do you have a link to an article that backs that up?

CBF

Took about 30 sec, but I found one:

"The one kid I'm really interested in seeing run (at the Combine) is the Patterson kid from Tennessee," said Mayock. "You heard me say earlier I haven't seen any really explosive difference makers (in this draft); This kid's only played one year of Division-I football. And I put the tape on, my jaw dropped. And he's big. ... He's 6-foot-3, 200-plus pounds, and he flies. And he makes people miss all over the field. All I know is his ceiling could be really exciting because he's so darn raw. And I can't wait to see him run."

Found the quote here: http://www.rotoworld...relle-patterson, but it says it's from a podcast.

I will say I'm very curious to find out what the "bad interviews" rumor is about. Not able to break down plays? Not intelligent or not motivated?

Edited by Faustus

This guy's high risk, high reward, and I wouldn't even dream of touching him at #8. Sure, he has elite talent, but NFL history is littered with high talent busts who couldn't translate their physical gifts to the football field.

If he turns into an elite WR that's great, but if he turns out to be one of those great YAC guys who can't get the ball, or has a bad case of the drops, what would we say about that pick 3 years out?

This guy's high risk, high reward, and I wouldn't even dream of touching him at #8. Sure, he has elite talent, but NFL history is littered with high talent busts who couldn't translate their physical gifts to the football field.

If he turns into an elite WR that's great, but if he turns out to be one of those great YAC guys who can't get the ball, or has a bad case of the drops, what would we say about that pick 3 years out?

So he could be elite or a bust that we would talk bad about in 3 years? How is that different than every other pick we could make?

What would you give to get an AJ Green / Julio Jones?

Who (other than Buddy, who passed on both of them) wouldn't want Green or Jones? The difference is that Green and Jones were both highly productive in college. Patterson really wasn't. Doesn't mean he stinks; just means he is a higher risk, especially at no. 8. At no. 8, I would want someone with good measurables AND great production in college, preferably in a big time conference.

Edited by mannc

Who (other than Buddy, who passed on both of them) wouldn't want Green or Jones? The difference is that Green and Jones were both highly productive in college. Patterson really wasn't. Doesn't mean he stinks; just means he is a higher risk, especially at no. 8. At no. 8, I would want someone with good measurables AND great production in college, preferably in a big time conference.

I was just about to post something like this. However one big thing is in a draft where there aren't many sure fire hits you have to take the guy that could potentially be a franchise changer. Patterson COULD be that guy

So he could be elite or a bust that we would talk bad about in 3 years? How is that different than every other pick we could make?

Are you really asking me to explain the concept of variations in risk to reward analysis?

Sure, no one is a guaranteed elite player out the gate, but a guy who has consistently shown his ability to translate his athletic talent into on-field production against top opposition has a considerably lower chance of busing than a guy with off the chart measurables who has a handful of sick highlights, but hasn't proven that he can consistently beat coverage, get open, and make tough catches in traffic.

Are you really asking me to explain the concept of variations in risk to reward analysis?

Sure, no one is a guaranteed elite player out the gate, but a guy who has consistently shown his ability to translate his athletic talent into on-field production against top opposition has a considerably lower chance of busing than a guy with off the chart measurables who has a handful of sick highlights, but hasn't proven that he can consistently beat coverage, get open, and make tough catches in traffic.

I said earlier that Patterson's limited time at that level was a concern, but he did what he could do with the time he had. He is NOT a guy with handful of sick highlights. He proved his talent at more than one position against the best competition in college football. The "variations in risk to reward" are not much different than the the rest of the crap shoot that is the draft, including players that have proved themselves year in and year out. Every level of experience has proven they can and will fail, and not any small percentage of the time.

I see that you have Barkley for the Bills at #8. If that's correct, then I think there's a ridiculously higher risk in the Bills doing what you suggest there.

Patterson is a player on the ascent. He made the jump from JUCO to the semi-pro SEC and made those players look silly. The only check mark that he doesn't hit is that "need more than one year" thing. That would be a concern if he had NOT just proven himself in the SEC.

Barkley is a slow, unathletic QB with a busted up arm, who's play was on the descent and who comes from a college with a laundry list of QB busts. Barkley is a throwback QB from another time period. Guys like him are bench QBs meant to come in for a couple of games when the real NFL starting QB gets hurt.

Patterson at #8 is a two-handed slam dunk pick compared to picking Barkley at #8 expecting him to be your franchise QB.

Edited by 1billsfan

I think it will come down to Warmack or Patterson at 8 if they do not trade down. Others have advocated for a LT with Glenn moving to RT. I would be ok with that only if they resign Levitre - which I doubt will happen. Outside of Jones who has a medical issue - spinal stenosis - there is no LB worth #8. There is no QB including Smith worthy of #8.

I see that you have Barkley for the Bills at #8. If that's correct, then I think there's a ridiculously higher risk in the Bills doing what you suggest there.

Patterson is a player on the ascent. He made the jump from JUCO to the semi-pro SEC and made those players look silly. The only check mark that he doesn't hit is that "need more than one year" thing. That would be a concern if he had NOT just proven himself in the SEC.

Barkley is a slow, unathletic QB with a busted up arm, who's play was on the descent and who comes from a college with a laundry list of QB busts. Barkley is a throwback QB from another time period. Guys like him are bench QBs meant to come in for a couple of games when the real NFL starting QB gets hurt.

Patterson at #8 is a two-handed slam dunk pick compared to picking Barkley at #8 expecting him to be your franchise QB.

I pretty much disagree with every premise you've laid out. I completely disagree with your assessment of Barkley. For those who say he is in "descent" I can only assume they looked at the stat sheet and saw bigger numbers in 2011 than 2012 and stopped the analysis there. The only concern I have regarding him is the shoulder injury.

To equate what Barkley's shown to what Patterson has shown is just not possible. Barkley's got a 4 year resume. Patterson had 1 year where he put up decent (not spectacular) numbers as a #2 WR that no one was game planning for. Yes, he's got some nice highlights, but we haven't seen if he can consistently beat coverage, if he can beat double teams, and if he can consistently make tough catches. We know he can run and change direction like very few, but a #1 NFL WR needs to be able to do all of those things.

As far as the risk factor goes, QB is an inherrently riskier position to draft than WR. But as far as QBs go, especially those in this draft, he may not have the highest ceiling, but he's got the lowest floor, and is the least likely to be a bust IMO. He understands the nuances of the game, and I don't buy the line about him not having the arm for it. I find it easier to see him developing into the next Drew Brees than Patterson developing into the next AJ Green.

I also don't buy the part about pocket QBs being on the way out. I've been hearing that for close to 20 years, yet Brees, Brady, Manning, Ryan, and Flacco still find themseloves among the game's elite year in, year out.

I'm not saying Patterson won't be good. He could become one of the greats. I just think the risk is high and if it were up to me I'd either shoot for QB or take someone who's more of a blue chip than a high risk high reward pick in the top 10.

Edited by Rob's House