Flacco wanted teammates to tackle Ginn Jr on final return

Rubes

Overheard on the sidelines, Joe Flacco told teammates standing with him that they should tackle Ted Ginn Jr if he broke it and was heading for a final TD to win it.

If that happened, what would the refs be able to do, right? Interesting thing is, the refs could actually award a score to the 49ers. I never knew that. The rule:

Palpably Unfair Act. A player or substitute shall not interfere with play by any act which is palpably unfair. Penalty: For a palpably unfair act: Offender may be disqualified. The Referee, after consulting his crew, enforces any such distance penalty as they consider equitable and irrespective of any other specified code penalty. The Referee may award a score.

Could you imagine this actually happening? The media firestorm would be crazy.

Here's the NFL Films video showing Flacco saying these things. It occurs around the 4:00 mark. I can't quite tell if he's kidding around, but it doesn't seem like it.

Edited by Rubes

I can't watch the video but I don't see the issue. Flacco told team mates to tackle the 49er with the ball if he was breaking it for a TD. Isn't that football?

Hahaha, yeah assuming the tackler is one of the guys on who's legally on the field when the play begins!

Flacco was telling guys on the sideline to basically run out and take matters into his own hands...

I can't watch the video but I don't see the issue. Flacco told team mates to tackle the 49er with the ball if he was breaking it for a TD. Isn't that football?

Hahaha, yeah assuming the tackler is one of the guys on who's legally on the field when the play begins!

Flacco was telling guys on the sideline to basically run out and take matters into his own hands...

Ah-ha! This thread was fairly confusing until I got this far down.

Edited by DrDareustein

If Ginn had a clear path to the endzone and a Ravens player came off the sidelines and tackled him, I'd have no problem with the 49'ers being awarded a TD.

Sure, but what if he only had one man to beat? In that case, the odds are fairly even that the guy is either going to get past him or get tackled. Imagine the ref getting put into that position, where he gets to decide who wins the Super Bowl based on his determination if the guy would have scored or not...

Sure, but what if he only had one man to beat? In that case, the odds are fairly even that the guy is either going to get past him or get tackled. Imagine the ref getting put into that position, where he gets to decide who wins the Super Bowl based on his determination if the guy would have scored or not...

Scary thought.

I'm assuming Flacco meant if he were running free with no one in his way. Not that it's likely anyone could come off the sideline and get to him fast enough anyway.