Rams not long for STL?

Mr. WEO

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In early 90s they made a push to get football back in St Louis and built a top of the line stadium. The fans were behind it and it was built at a cost of $280 millin dollars. Fast forward 18 years, the stadium seems to be new in the minds of the voters but the owner was it to bet top tier so he is wanting a palace costing $700 million. The populace is not playing and so in 2015 they may be on the move to LA. This might be the line in the sand that the folks saw no more. The days of huge sports stadiums being footed by the public might be waning. It will be curious to see how this plays out.

In early 90s they made a push to get football back in St Louis and built a top of the line stadium. The fans were behind it and it was built at a cost of $280 millin dollars. Fast forward 18 years, the stadium seems to be new in the minds of the voters but the owner was it to bet top tier so he is wanting a palace costing $700 million.

Adjusting for inflation, that would be over a billion dollars in less than 20 years. Is there a serious argument that the Rams have had a billion dollar economic impact on the St. Louis economy?

The stadium is more apart of the convention center than football. You would have to analyze its impact unpon the local economy as a convention site more than a stand alone football facility would. Convention business is year around and mor lucrative for local governments. Here in Indy, as in St Louis, our stadium/convention center complex brings in millions annually to t.he local economy.

In perspective. $280 million vs $700 million, the average person does not factor in the rate of inflation. They just look at the numbers.

Edited by Nitro

Convention centers are not lucrative for local governments. That sector is way overbuilt and simply not a good investment. It's been that way for about twenty years. I didn't know that the stadium space was also a convention center. But the returns aren't going to be there, regardless. And we should adjust for inflation when considering these investments. That's how Kroenke's thinking about this money.

There's no way St Louis ponies up that kind of coin for a team that's a distant third in popularity in the city. If LA is going to spend a billion dollars on a football stadium, they're going to get a team. I'll believe that part when I see it.

I wouldnt say the Rams are a distant third in popularity, 2nd without a doubt as nothing here is anywhere close to the Cardinals. that being said as much as the city loves the Blues there is far more interest in the NFL Rams as compared to the NHL Blues from the common St. louis sports fan. If i could rank the popularity among the three STL franchises I would say it still goes Cards, Rams, then followed by the Blues although there is a giant buzz this year about the Blues. That being said I still think its one of those situations where the general public is more interested in the NFL as compared to the NHL.

The stadium is more apart of the convention center than football. You would have to analyze its impact unpon the local economy as a convention site more than a stand alone football facility would. Convention business is year around and mor lucrative for local governments. Here in Indy, as in St Louis, our stadium/convention center complex brings in millions annually to t.he local economy.

In perspective. $280 million vs $700 million, the average person does not factor in the rate of inflation. They just look at the numbers.

good point

Until teams are relocated to that wasteland of NFL misery, all small market and old crusty stadium laden franchises are at risk, with Buffalo and San Diego being in the worst shape. Lets not kid ourselves, Russ Brandon and Ralphie-poo are not doing Buffalo any favors. If you think our beloved Bills are safe with this new stadium lease, I wouldn't kid yourselves, and the toronto abomination doesn't help either, if fact, it strengthens the perspective that WNY cannot sell out games on their own, and nothing could be further from the truth.

Until teams are relocated to that wasteland of NFL misery, all small market and old crusty stadium laden franchises are at risk, with Buffalo and San Diego being in the worst shape. Lets not kid ourselves, Russ Brandon and Ralphie-poo are not doing Buffalo any favors. If you think our beloved Bills are safe with this new stadium lease, I wouldn't kid yourselves, and the toronto abomination doesn't help either, if fact, it strengthens the perspective that WNY cannot sell out games on their own, and nothing could be further from the truth.

Actually, Russ is doing Buffalo a favor. The Bills NEED the Canadian market. The Bills cannot sell out the Ralph based on WNY tickets alone, and the situation will only get worse as NYS Government continues to ignore Western NY.....that's why 20% of the attendance at games is from Southern Ontario. Further, in order to sell the tickets, the Bills have one of, if not the the, lowest season ticket prices in the NFL. Those prices can only go up w/ increased demand. More population, southern Ontario=more demand. A new owner is not going to come in an let literally millions sit on the table that could be gained by moving to a city that's growing and can afford to pay more in terms of lux boxes and ticket prices. The only way to solve this problem is to drive up demand and increase ticket costs eventually. (which also cannot happen until they play better). But don't let facts get in the way of your rant.

Eff LA. The only 2 teams that should be even considered to move are the Chargers and Jags. Stop being greedy a holes NFL. The league is the richest league in the world as it is.

It's the owners, not the NFL. And the teams are businesses. Yes, it sucks, and I will prob stop caring about the NFL if the Bills move, but Buffalo needs to take a long, hard look at what got itself into this mess to begin with: the stupid politicians that are stuck in 1975 and continue to drive businesses, jobs, and consequently people to other cities.

The lease most certainly protects the Bills from moving for the next 7 years. No owner will plunk down $800M for the team, $400M for breaking the lease and another $400M for the NFL's relocation fee.