Stevie Johnson doesn't workout in the offseason

ET1062

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally, Stevie would have spent his nights studying film, and his days cross-training. He would have trained his mind not to sleep, and his body not to need food. He wouldn't need oxygen in his lungs, and he would get rid of his family, and friends, and other distractions.

I'm really pissed off that he didn't give his all for the team. I payed good money.

Per his interview on Jim Rome today.

"Who knows what would really happen if I put in work...."

Full interview here, workout comments at the 15 minute mark.

http://jimrome.com/2...evie-johnson-2/

I heard the interview. Said he played basketball to stay in shape . Basketball will get you into shape. So it wasnt like he didnt do anything. I did the same thing to keep in shape when I played college ball. That plus doing some weightlifting to maintain my strength.

Everybody is different when it comes to training. Basketball worked for him. But if I were to give his some advice I would say he needs to do some legs presses and some different legs building routines. That would get his legs strong thus less injuries to the groin area, which he had problems with.

Stevie just put up back to back to back 1,000 yd seasons with a SHT QB. Put him in the Patriots offense and he'd be putting up 1300 yd 10 TD seasons easy

Put him on the Patriots and he would be lucky to get 24 catches. He would be at best their 4th best option in the passing game and probably 5th. My guess is he would see maybe 12-15 plays a game with 2-3 targets a game. If he dropped one ball he might not see another pass from Marcia for a couple weeks. Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandex, and Lloyd are all much more talented. Hell I'm not even sure he would beat out little Julian Edelman...

1) the dude plays injured. hes pretty banged up by the end of the year.

2) our definition of "the offseason" is very different from theirs.

3) what we consider "working out" is far different from what pros call working out.

maybe he needs the time off at the end of the year. stevie is the least of our worries.

If he wants to get better at his craft, Stevie Johnson should talk to someone who was great at the position: Jerry Rice. Jerry Rice would have rigorous off season work outs and had other NFL players would join him on the infamous hill run. RIce lasted 20 years. It may help him avoid the in season injuries.

Other points of concern... Stevie says that he has not yet talked to Marone and does not want to, he will talk to him when he shows up for mini camp on April 1. Seriously??? He has no desire to talk to the new coach with an offensive background? He considers himself a team leader yet he has ZERO interest in having a conversation with his new coach??? We have all given this player a pass, time after time, but his resume of being a big problem is starting to build (dropped passes, questioning God because of dropped passes, ridiculous celebrations with their penalties and now the fact that he fully admits he doestnt give his best). He is a good reciever, but by no means a great one, he might just be the cancer that needs to be cut out of this failure of a team.

Edited by ET1062

Put him on the Patriots and he would be lucky to get 24 catches. He would be at best their 4th best option in the passing game and probably 5th. My guess is he would see maybe 12-15 plays a game with 2-3 targets a game. If he dropped one ball he might not see another pass from Marcia for a couple weeks. Welker, Gronkowski, Hernandex, and Lloyd are all much more talented. Hell I'm not even sure he would beat out little Julian Edelman...

Other points of concern... Stevie says that he has not yet talked to Marone and does not want to, he will talk to him when he shows up for mini camp on April 1. Seriously??? He has no desire to talk to the new coach with an offensive background? He considers himself a team leader yet he has ZERO interest in having a conversation with his new coach??? We have all given this player a pass, time after time, but his resume of being a big problem is starting to build (dropped passes, questioning God because of dropped passes, ridiculous celebrations with their penalties and now the fact that he fully admits he doestnt give his best). He is a good reciever, but by no means a great one, he might just be the cancer that needs to be cut out of this failure of a team.

Cancer? Worse than Edelman? lucky to get 24 catches for the Pats? You guys are outta control. Stevie's work ethic> greater than both of yours X 2 million FWIW. What NFL team do you two play for?

Sage's top 20 in your position in the WORLD comment rings aloud for me. Im presently somewhere in the 8000 range of best in my position Fwiw. I gotta respect that.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

so what? stevie likes to smoke blunts in the offseason instead of train, its gotten him this far - and as has been stated throughout the thread, hes going to start training in the offseason and see what happens

all I see is a man telling it like it is, what he has done previously and how he wants to improve...cool...

That is just factually incorrect.

Rest periods are part of ANY training program. For ANY sport.

Plusl, he NEVER said he sits on his ass and eats Cheetos and thats OK.

And neither did I.

How convenient of you to leave out the quotes where he said he realized he could be better and is going to start an offseason program to see if it makes a difference in his preparation.

WOW....took THREE SECONDS to Google "workout training rest" to come up with this:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/RestandRecovery.htm

Long-term recovery techniques refer to those that are built in to a seasonal training program. Most well-designed training schedules will include recovery days and or weeks that are built into an annual training schedule. This is also the reason athletes and coaches change their training program throughout the year, add crosstraining, modify workouts types, and make changes in intensity, time, distance and all the other training variables.

Yes elite athlete will take 2 or 3 weeks off to decompress after the world championship, longer after the Olympics. No sophisticated schedule is taking off for 9 months from January to September. At the end of the day the rest these guys need are to recover from injury, it has almost nothing to do with their physiological need. No reason for SJ to not begin a schedule on March 1.

Edited by Mango

Lets first see what SJ can do with a QB who can throw more than 20 yards downfield. Then I'll worry about his off season workout schedule.

Steve should work on getting a lot faster if that's the case.

My take on this is that this isn't such a big deal and is consistent with what we've gotten from this guy all along. He's a solid player and a self promoter. I really don't think he gets any better than this and I think he feels the same way--'yeah, I could be even better if I worked out more', etc. Yeah, OK Stevie, whatever. I think this is as good as he gets. He knows it. The rest is all Stevie bluster (or Stevie Blunder).

The bills need to hire Don Beebe as a coach .

" In 1998, Beebe founded House of Speed, LLC,[4] a company that specializes in training athletes in the essentials of top performance, speed and character. House of Speed began franchise operations in 2006 and has locations in eleven states. Beebe also works with several professional, collegiate and amateur sports organizations in the area of speed, including the Chicago Bears, the St. Louis Rams, the University of Illinois Fighting Illini and Club Fusion Volleyball."

While a bill he use to keep working to improve his speed. We would'nt want Stevie to get winded if we get a QB who could throw like the bad bomber Daryle Lamonica

Edited by independent

Stevie is an above-average receiver who doesn't like to catch passes over the middle ! Coach Marrone will show Stevie that there's a new sheriff in town !He had a good game once against Revis and everyone thinks he's all world ! He's good but not great like a Bolden !Bolden started flexing at the Pats -D during the 4th quarter, which I loved !Like they say ,Stevie will always be Stevie , but not this coming season .

yeah he was the problem. he said he's going to work out this off season. there are a surprising amount of players who take off the offseason to let their bodies recover from the beat down they receive during the course of the season.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/22825103/vp/50672179#50672179

Highlights

• For the first time he is going to workout this offseason. Well at least we know he's not on 'roids.
  • Tashard Choice is a leader, off the field at least, and has had a positive influene on the team.
  • Still likes Fitz but competition will be welcomed.
  • Might be nailing that NBC reporter as we speak.

Marc in Montréal