Stevie Johnson doesn't workout in the offseason

ET1062

What I find spurious is the assertion that following the booklet's advice will suddenly tack on 300 yards to Stevie's seasonal performance. Why take him on his word there?

If he's running and playing basketball in the offseason, I don't see how that's not considered decent cross training.

Exactly. Its as if Stevie following the little booklet will all of a sudden make Fitz a more accurate and better QB, because thats the only thing holding him back from 300 more yards.

I guess I'm wondering where this spurious assertion has been made...

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-issue for me and not worried about Stevie reporting to camp out of shape. Stevie was on on the Rome show for one reason, to be baited into saying something contraversal. Why else have this guy on the show? Because he plays for the Bills, because he had a 1000 yard season? No, because he says, and does, dumb crap all the time. He's good radio, he's good TV. Hopefully, Marone can keep him focused and help keep him under wraps.

Lol, cut him? Seriously? SJ is a good receiver. He's a talented kid. We don't need to be cutting talent. Sorry guys, the Bills don't have that luxury. We need to be adding talent, not getting rid of it because something so minor like this.

This is such a minor issue...it's not like he's saying all he does is party all of season. He just says he doesn't go hard in the offseason, he plays basketball which to me is a workout so if he's doing that 3 times a week or so then who cares. His game is not being a big physical receiver, his game is built on being fluid and elusive and basketball does more for this game than lifting weights.

We all agree that running around the block and playing b-ball are better than doing nothing. But Stevie himself says that if he worked out harder (i.e. followed the instructions in his off-season workout booklet) he could maybe accumulate 200-300 yards more. I'm not arguing the figure he presented is accurate - only that he knows his effort is far from total.

So we have a situation where Ralph is paying Stevie 100% of the promised salary. But Stevie is only giving 80% effort in the off-season.

Worse, Stevie isn't doing his best to help his teammates win.

I never played NFL ball but I did lead soldiers into combat. If I found out one of my men didn't do his best to prepare, I'd be freaking pissed that he didn't love and respect his fellow soldiers enough to do the right thing to help them survive and accomplish the mission. Obviously, the stakes are a little lower here. Football is not a game of life or death. But, still, if you care about your teammates, your going to do your utmost to help them win. Stevie is no Randy Moss on game day but his lack of commitment during the off-season is a disappointment. I liked Stevie before. I like him a little less now.

So we have a situation where Ralph is paying Stevie 100% of the promised salary. But Stevie is only giving 80% effort in the off-season.

Well then i guess its a good thing NFL players don't get paid weekly in the offseason. Ralph would be really pissed if Stevie was giving less than 100% on his payroll.

Settle for none hard work mediocraty and that's exactly what you will get. I wonder how many teams he would be a "number 1" receiver on and I wonder how many playoff teams would keep this guy around. "why so serious" "happy new year".

Per his interview on Jim Rome today.

"Who knows what would really happen if I put in work...."

Full interview here, workout comments at the 15 minute mark.

http://jimrome.com/2...evie-johnson-2/

Anyone who hasn't been in a coma and has been watching the Bills games for the past 4 or 5 years knows that Stevie Johnson is talented, but might be the most immature and selfish player the Bills have had in quite a few years. If he doesn't grow up, and at this point there really is no reason to believe he will, it will ultimately cost him has career.

Maybe all his little nagging injuries could be prevented or minimized by a year round conditioning program.

I'm sure any NFL strength and conditioning coach would think so.

If he wants to have a long NFL career he'll need to be more disciplined.

By the way Stevie, a 1000 yard season is averaging 62 yards per game. I'm not minimizing what you've done, but push yourself a little more dude.

Very well said. He has had small nagging injuries (groin, etc.) that just might be avoided with an offseason workout program, especially the older he gets and the more wear and tear on his body he experiences. If he doesn't workout, at least put a muzzle on him.

Ill go back to this point...

When everyone clamored that we HAD TO sign SJ, his immaturity and "quirkiness" or whatever the hell you want to call it was purposely overlooked by the fans and the team.

So now we cant get pissed when it comes to light in a way we are uncomfortable with.

Seriously. This guy has some real issues. Is it any wonder why this team is the laughingstock of the NFL. CUT THIS GUY. Trust me he is not that good.

Settle for none hard work mediocraty and that's exactly what you will get. I wonder how many teams he would be a "number 1" receiver on and I wonder how many playoff teams would keep this guy around. "why so serious" "happy new year".

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: worst idea ever.

When everyone clamored that we HAD TO sign SJ, his immaturity and "quirkiness" or whatever the hell you want to call it was purposely overlooked by the fans and the team.

So now we cant get pissed when it comes to light in a way we are uncomfortable with.

It was?? :huh:

Ever since his post-game performance following the Pitt. OT loss, I've been saying he needs to grow up and focus. And because of that I should have been saying 'let him walk' while his contract was being renewed? I hardly think that it's that cut and dry.

I think Hondo made a great point, and I ask Bills fans to consider how these comments would/should sit with Doug Marrone, because that's how I'm viewing it. No coach should tolerate that kind of flippant disregard for team policies/systems. Likewise, no teammate should tolerate it either.

I understand that in some warped way, we--as fans--are privileged to have a guy like Stevie on our team, and I'm not discounting his accomplishments for a second. But if you can't understand why his comments could be viewed as a big !@#$ you to the organization, to his teammate, to his coaches and to the training staff (who, I'm certain are well-versed on theories about over-worked muscles, Joe), and if you don't see this as yet another display of immature, entitled, cocky, selfish behavior, then quite frankly you have blinders on.

Seriously. This guy has some real issues. Is it any wonder why this team is the laughingstock of the NFL. CUT THIS GUY. Trust me he is not that good.

He'd be picked up by a good NFL team in about 3/4 of a second, and would continue to produce at least as well as he has here. If said team had a real NFL QB, he'd probably improve significantly in the #s department...then how much of a laughingstock would this situation be?

Again.

Much

Ado

About

Nothing

Yep.

I don't think anyone overlooked his quirkiness or whatever you want to call it. I think most of us felt that he's a very talented receiver that has proven he can get open time and again against the best cover corners in the NFL (Revis, Sherman, etc.). That, to me, is worth paying him what he's getting.

His performance has been very good, and he sounds like he's ready to put in the work to take it to the next level...what, exactly, is the issue here?

He'd be picked up by a good NFL team in about 3/4 of a second, and would continue to produce at least as well as he has here. If said team had a real NFL QB, he'd probably improve significantly in the #s department...then how much of a laughingstock would this situation be?

Again.

Much

Ado

About

Nothing

Yep.

I don't think anyone overlooked his quirkiness or whatever you want to call it. I think most of us felt that he's a very talented receiver that has proven he can get open time and again against the best cover corners in the NFL (Revis, Sherman, etc.). That, to me, is worth paying him what he's getting.

His performance has been very good, and he sounds like he's ready to put in the work to take it to the next level...what, exactly, is the issue here?

Stevie needs a Stevie-Cam, for his own good. Hear me out.

The guys got priors, like when he tweeted God. (What an idiot! Everyone knows you should kneel, fold your hands and say, "Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name, etc, forgive us our trespasses, etc, etc. ) Let's see how much time he spends praying.

And he probably spends way too much time dancing.

Plus we'll get to see him naked. :cry:

Nevermind. Has he tweeted anything lately? :rolleyes:

Wow, what a non-issue. Stevie has played injured, reports to camp in great shape and is in great shape starting the season. Seems to me some of the guys who work out the most are always hurt and on the IR!

He works out by playing basketball, running on his own and running around with family. Who cares if he doesn't do the bench press 5 sets times 5 rep work out with squats 6 sets times 15 reps that is sent to him. He is in shape and seems to have gotten open plenty.

Maybe Revis should work out less so he stays healthy and can actually cover Steveie

To answer your question, Franz, yes--he's Tweeted extensively about this so-called non-issue. Evidently fans aren't the only ones making a big to-do about it...

m4MwwLf.jpg

oF5DBIe.jpg

CR5oh7o.jpg

YrLFzKk.jpg

Td7ivE9.jpg

JsG7ysc.jpg

Og2apRi.jpg

You don't even have to be a Twitter-hater to see Stevie's response to this as compulsive, immature and unprofessional. The kid has a pattern of this kind of childish behavior, and that cannot be denied.

But he went on to say he realizes that the workouts might help so hes going to start doing them. And even when he wasnt doing them, he was the top producer for the team at WR. Its a moot point.

And how each athlete prepares sets NO example. They dont care what the others on the team do when they are not with the team. They care about what they do when they are WITH the team. As long as SJ shows up ready to go at workouts and in the meetings and most important, on Sunday, NOT ONE teammate gives a rats petuty what SJ is doing in January and February.

You people are !@#$ing funny....when SJ was up for a contract, you all went NUTS about how they HAD TO sign him, DESPITE all his quirks and odd behavior. But now youre all !@#$ing outraged with that behavior?

I think it's pretty significant. The fact that he led the team in yds and was the biggest producer at WR for the bills doesn't make anything "moot". You're telling me that there isn't a difference between receiving 1,000yds and say 8TD compared to 1,400yds and 10td? SJ has been in the league for a while now and he only realized NOW that hey, maybe i should actually put in some work in the offseason? His plan "worked" for him for 1,000 yds, but last time I checked he wasn't near the top of the league for WR's...so settling for just being the best Bills' WR is good enough? Woopy !@#$ing do..we have Donald Jones and Ruvell Martin and Brad Smith at WR. What an accomplishment.

Him celebrating in the endzone and getting a penalty i can deal with. Him not giving 100% during the offseason I can't. Last time I checked, Jerry Rice didn't sit on his ass in the offseason and he was the best WR in the NFL. Why wouldn't you want to continue improving? Why wouldn't you want to reach your maximum potential?

I never had a problem with this before b/c quite frankly i never KNEW SJ didn't train during the offseason...I simply assumed he did.

SJ is my favorite Bills player but man, this really gets to me.

If anything, train your hands during the offseason, b/c god knows that SJ has had some of the biggest drops for the Bills in recent memory.

Unacceptable.

Edited by bobobonators