Stevie Johnson doesn't workout in the offseason

ET1062

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what Im saying....AS A PROFESSIONAL he had a plan that worked for him. Unless he is blowing off something that his team demanded he do as part of his job, he did nothing wrong. he said the coaches gave him a workout book. What is an "optional" thing or a "mandatory" one? Im guessing the former.

Except that he said he believed that by following the book his performance would have probably improved. However that didn't really matter to him. I guess he fits right in with a team that never has a winning record or makes the playoffs.

I think you need to go look up the word average.

av er age: : taking the typical example of the group under consideration

Johnson was 18th in yards and 38th in TDs. On the 18th ranked passing offense in terms of yards and 13th ranked passing offense in TDs. Maybe actually working on football stuff would make him above average.

Edited by SACTOBILLSFAN

Stevie just put up back to back to back 1,000 yd seasons with a SHT QB. Put him in the Patriots offense and he'd be putting up 1300 yd 10 TD seasons easy

Correction: back to back TO BACK--- 3 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons.

Even though I can't believe he said that in that way, we really don't know what he really does, what kind of shape he is in during the season, and what exactly he is talking about. 90% of the WRs work out during the offseason and only a relative small number do the "Jerry Rice" or Larry Fitzgerald type training and workout. If that is what he was referring to, working out above and beyond what would normally be expected of an NFL player we could cut him more slack. It didn't sound to me, from the clips I heard, that is what he was referring to. Plus, there is something to be said for resting the body and then working out hard close to training camp and being in top shape after a hard month long preparation.

Has everyone commenting listened to the interview?

He starts the interview by saying he's agitated to be at the Super Bowl but not as a participant. He's tired of the Bills being on the outside of the playoffs and would like to change that.

When I first heard the discussion this afternoon on WGR, I was irritated. After actually listening to the whole interview, his whole point was that he realized he could work much harder--- he was being self deprecating and trying to be funny.

Jim Rome ends the interview by praising Stevie for not having anything to promote except Buffalo Bills football, which is exactly what Stevie said.

Much ado about nothing.

Correction: back to back TO BACK--- 3 consecutive 1,000 yard seasons.

A thousand yard season for a WR is the most devalued stat in football, given how often the ball is in the air in today's game.

Of the 22 wideouts with a 1,000-plus yards in 2012, Stevie ranked 19th in "catch rate" (53.4%). A lot of that is on Fitz, but more than a little is on Johnson.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=WR

A thousand yard season for a WR is the most devalued stat in football, given how often the ball is in the air in today's game.

Of the 22 wideouts with a 1,000-plus yards in 2012, Stevie ranked 19th in "catch rate" (53.4%). A lot of that is on Fitz, but more than a little is on Johnson.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=WR

Was I arguing the value of a 1,000 yard season in today's NFL or merely pointing out that he had 3 consecutive rather than 2?

I'll hang up and listen.

the people who write "why are we judging" are hopelessly dumb. these are messages boards, the whole purpose of which is to judge. the people who say "posters on TBD don't work out, so the bills players don't need to either," are thoroughly retarded. what's next, the statement " posters on TBD don't throw TD passes on Sundays... so why should we judge the QB for not doing so on Sundays?!"

this seems asinine that he wouldn't work out, no wonder he always is having groin issues.

But he went on to say he realizes that the workouts might help so hes going to start doing them. And even when he wasnt doing them, he was the top producer for the team at WR. Its a moot point.

One point it would behoove folks to remember is that he played hurt with a groin injury in 2011. In the 2012 off season, he may have been better off not working out, letting that thang rest and heal

Has everyone commenting listened to the interview?

He starts the interview by saying he's agitated to be at the Super Bowl but not as a participant. He's tired of the Bills being on the outside of the playoffs and would like to change that.

When I first heard the discussion this afternoon on WGR, I was irritated. After actually listening to the whole interview, his whole point was that he realized he could work much harder--- he was being self deprecating and trying to be funny.

Jim Rome ends the interview by praising Stevie for not having anything to promote except Buffalo Bills football, which is exactly what Stevie said.

Much ado about nothing.

EXACTLY...

Schopp's crusade today was irritating...it was completely obvious that he didn't actually hear the interview.

Yes, what stevie said was dumb and worded very poorly...and i cringed when he was saying it.....but in reality and in context they were talking about weight training. Stevie said he ran and played bball and stayed in shape, however he admitted he didn't lift the weights during the offseason. ALSO, by off season he was talking about January-March. He said come April 1st hes back in Buffalo ready to work.

Schopp's could not believe that stevie admitted and talked about not working out or preparing in the off season (again january-march)....HOWEVER, that idiot was in the same situation and he didn't even know it!..... How can the lead sports talk host go on the air and crusify a player for not being prepared, when at the exact same time he didnt even listen to the interview an hour earlier on his own station?! The #1 WR for the bills was on the biggest sports talk show in the world right before he went on the air..and he didnt hear it? Talk about not being prepared

This is a non-story, but those guys are going to make it an issue, unfortunately.

Edited by CherryCoke

EXACTLY...

Schopp's crusade today was irritating...it was completely obvious that he didn't actually hear the interview.

Yes, what stevie said was dumb and worded very poorly...and i cringed when he was saying it.....but in reality and in context they were talking about weight training. Stevie said he ran and played bball and stayed in shape, however he admitted he didn't lift the weights during the offseason. ALSO, by off season he was talking about January-March. He said come April 1st hes back in Buffalo ready to work.

Schopp's could not believe that stevie admitted and talked about not working out or preparing in the off season (again january-march)....HOWEVER, that idiot was in the same situation and he didn't even know it!..... How can the lead sports talk host go on the air and crusify a player for not being prepared, when at the exact same time he didnt even listen to the interview an hour earlier on his own station?! The #1 WR for the bills was on the biggest sports talk show in the world right before he went on the air..and he didnt hear it? Talk about not being prepared

This is a non-story, but those guys are going to make it an issue, unfortunately.

Because Stevie himself said if he did train harder, maybe he would be 20-30% more productive. That is why what he said matters.

Because Stevie himself said if he did train harder, maybe he would be 20-30% more productive. That is why what he said matters.

im not saying what he said wasn't extremely stupid...and to attach hypothetical numbers to it was beyond dumb....especially since some fans truely think athletes should never have any down time at all. I have NO idea why he thought he could say that and not get destroyed for it. From what I could hear, stevie was trying to show leadership, saying the he could work harder and do even more...but it came across horrible

BUT STILL, its a non issue....If someone can prove that lifting weights in february for a season that starts in september makes a receiver 30% more effective, then I will blame him.

Until then...the only thing that is going to make him any more effective then he already is....would be a QB that could actually hit him in stride

Edited by CherryCoke

stevie is a SLACKER....

he is cheating himself, his teammates, the bills and the fans....

the fact he can still produce at a high level, as evidenced by 3 consecutive 1000 yard seasons DOES NOT justify his lack of commitment to maximizing his potential.

he complains about losing.....yet admits he himself could easily be 20-30% better if he just worked out....

he complains about losing.....yet admits he himself could easily be 20-30% better if he just worked out....

sigh...athletes are not smart...you really going to hold him to the 20-30% more productive number?

BTW just so you dont get it twisted...he does work out....he admitted he doesnt LIFT WEIGHTS january through march (he runs and plays bball)....from April on, he does full scale traning (with weights) in buffalo

Look at the guy, he just LOOKS out of shape, right?! If only he had bigger arm muscles! he'd get 300 more yards!!