So Ray Lewis may have taken a banned substance

The Poojer

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in his recovery from his torn bicep...something in deer velvet antler extract.....the evidence looks pretty damning to me

good for him, how do they expect players to come back so quickly? Naturally :lol: :lol: :lol:

The substance does nothing to enhance performance, but allegedly can help heal faster. Its readily available over the counter. it is however a banned substance by the NFL although I don't really see why if it just helps heal faster. We give athletes all kinds of stuff to heal faster every day, so why ban an over the counter substance that does the same thing? Regardless, its still banned...so we will see how this plays out. Makes sense he would use it, trying to comeback for what will be the last games of his career. Then again, everyone condemned Merriman with the whole over the border thing alleging he had steroids again and was using them and yet nothing ever came of that. So who knows...

now there is a guy who needs to get back on the juice.

FWIW, the banned substance Ray is suspected of using is a substance that is tested for, and as of today, Ray has never failed a test nor tested positive for it or any other PEDs. Another reason I will wait before I pass judgement. Like I said earlier, everyone was ready to condemn Merriman for some alleged border incident yet it turned out to be nothing and Merriman has not had any recent failed PED tests either.

FWIW the banned substance only shows up in blood tests which the nfl doesn't administer so he could've been doing it at media day and still passed the nfl test.

how can he take banned peformance enhancing drugs, murder people, take recreational drugs, father children all over the eastern seaboard, bankroll a conglomerate of strip joints and still be the victim when people question him about these things? because he loves god, and that sets him free. what would jesus do ray? he watches you play football every sunday! screw the refugees and poverty stricken people all over the world, jesus just loves to watch you play football every sunday! sorry, i know this is a football forum, no place for an atheist to piss off christians with incendiary thoughts.

this superbowl is lame for me because i can't seem to root for either team. i don't want that scumbag whitner to win, and lewis annoys the hell out of me. also, kapernick hasn't paid is dues, so it would be a disappointment to see him get one so early. oh well.

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

Yes he did

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/12/sports/cycling/how-lance-armstrong-beat-cyclings-drug-tests.html?pagewanted=all

He did not fail any conventional drug test during his time as a cycler. It took extraordinary amounts of re-testing and re-analyzing to finally find some proof that he did dope.

Lance has been under the biggest microscope known to organized sports, I doubt Ray has faced the same amount of scrutiny.

You would also think that if a professional athlete was going to ingest some ill-defined substance (deer antlers), one of the first things on their mind would be if it contained banned substances or could cause a failed test.

Edited by kas23

FWIW, the banned substance Ray is suspected of using is a substance that is tested for, and as of today, Ray has never failed a test nor tested positive for it or any other PEDs. Another reason I will wait before I pass judgement. Like I said earlier, everyone was ready to condemn Merriman for some alleged border incident yet it turned out to be nothing and Merriman has not had any recent failed PED tests either.

Hmmm...the Merriman story came to us how? And the Lewis story how?

Yeah, pretty much the same thing.

It wasn't Ray who took it, it was his buddies. Ray just stood there and watched...

Cute!

I'm kinda suspicious of any report that explains hGH "turns into" IGF-1 in the liver. Stimulates production of n.eq.to "turns into".

The problem with testing for these drugs, is that the body makes these substances naturally. The differences between natural and injectable hGH are very very subtle.

There is a reason kids being treated with growth hormone get INJECTIONS. Noone likes giving or receiving daily injections, especially kids.

If it were as easy to administer protein therapeutics as spraying them under one's tongue or swallowing pills, why would drug companies package them up as injectables?

This story ends with the appropriate quote:

"However, a professor at Johns Hopkins University told the Baltimore Sun that, despite SWATS' claims, there isn't an acceptable scientific way that IGF-1 can be delivered orally.

"If there were, a lot of people would be happy that they don't need to get shots anymore," Dr. Roberto Salvatori told the newspaper. "It's just simply not possible for it to come from a spray."

In other words, even if Ray Lewis was spraying deer-antler extract under his tongue, it would sort of be like painting blood from your forehead down to your nose and expecting to obtain the benefits of blood doping.

I'll wait to see what investigation shows.

Edited by Hopeful

Unfortunately, instead of hiring the investigators who cleaned up the memories of those with him in the limo in 2000, looks like Ray has retained the services of Lance Armstrong Public Relations Inc.

Ray: “ Every test I’ve ever took in the NFL — there’s never been a question of if I ever even thought about using anything"

Lance: "I have never doped … I have competed as an endurance athlete for 25 years with no spike in performance, passed more than 500 drug tests and never failed one."

Ray: “Because I’ve been in this business 17 years, and nobody has ever got up with me every morning and trained with me."

Lance: "The simple truth is that we outwork everyone. But when you perform at a higher level in a race, you get questions about doping."

Ray: I won't even give him the credit or mention his name or his antics....in my moment"

Lance: : "We are completely innocent. We run a very clean and professional team that has been singled out due to our success …

Ray: Two years ago, it was the same report. I wouldn't give that report or him any of my press. He's not worthy of that. Next question,"

Lance: Armstrong's attorneys described Landis as "desperate for attention and money."

Ray: ‘Doc, there’s no way I’m going to be out for the year with just a torn tricep,’ “ Lewis said with a laugh Tuesday. “I said, ‘I’ve been through way worse.’ She was like, ‘Ray, nobody’s never come back from this.’ I said, ‘Well, nobody’s ever been Ray Lewis, either.’”

Lance: " to the cynics and the skeptics: 'I'm sorry for you. I'm sorry you can't dream big and I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles,'"

The outrage is laughable, people are mad Lewis isn't going to get punished for it. But how can you punish a guy who is retiring and using the appeals process to keep it from keeping him out of the super bowl? Its his last game you can't keep him out of it unless you have full proof evidence and it complies with the appeals process.

Exactly. I guess some people want to accelerate the years long vetting process in cases like this down to four days. lol. Sad that people would get so worked up over something that is essentially meaningless in their lives.

I found all the comments made from sore loser patriots fans hilarious.

But THAT makes the whole episode worthwhile. :lol:

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

He did not fail any conventional drug test during his time as a cycler. It took extraordinary amounts of re-testing and re-analyzing to finally find some proof that he did dope.

Lance has been under the biggest microscope known to organized sports, I doubt Ray has faced the same amount of scrutiny.

You would also think that if a professional athlete was going to ingest some ill-defined substance (deer antlers), one of the first things on their mind would be if it contained banned substances or could cause a failed test.

Lance tested positive in 1999 from what I read. Not to mention, NFL steroid testing is considered the best in all of sports outside the Olympics and has been for a long time. Testing in cycling did not really start getting major attention until more recent years with Landis, Armstrong, etc controversies.