So Ray Lewis may have taken a banned substance

The Poojer

Lance tested positive in 1999 from what I read. Not to mention, NFL steroid testing is considered the best in all of sports outside the Olympics and has been for a long time. Testing in cycling did not really start getting major attention until more recent years with Landis, Armstrong, etc controversies.

Neither HGH nor IGF are currently tested for in the NFL.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither HGH nor IGF are currently tested for in the NFL.

That's not what they said on NFL Live and Sportscenter. They said IGF is currently tested for. If they are wrong, then I am wrong, they are the source of my information on the topic. Seen it multiple times that they say IGF can be and is tested for and that Ray has never failed a test.

So what?

I have taken Formestane, Deer Antler Spray and Ecdysteroids while lifting, not seeing what the big deal is...all of these are banned by WADA

I mean what's next? Banning creatine? That clearly is a performance enhancer, one of the most well documented and studied substances...

Banning Whey Protein? Banning Amylopectins(fast absorbing carbs)? Banning water---I mean technically water is a performance enhancer. Ever try and lift while you have less than ideal water intake? Lifts all go down up to 20%...

Its getting to the point of ridiculousness, to be honest. I mean what are they going to do? Before every game test each player's water level and force players that are "over" in water intake to ride a bike to "sweat it out" so there is an even playing field?

Edited by matter2003

So what?

I have taken Formestane, Deer Antler Spray and Ecdysteroids while lifting, not seeing what the big deal is...

I mean what's next? Banning creatine? That clearly is a performance enhancer, one of the most well documented and studied substances...

Banning Whey Protein? Banning Amylopectins(fast absorbing carbs)? Banning water---I mean technically water is a performance enhancer. Ever try and lift while you have less than ideal water intake? Lifts all go down up to 20%...

Its getting to the point of ridiculousness, to be honest.

THIS ^^^^^

Not to mention all the shots and pills the team doctors give to help heal issues with players. Even when in college its an insane amount of stuff. Many things more scary than some silly over the counter thing.

That's not what they said on NFL Live and Sportscenter. They said IGF is currently tested for. If they are wrong, then I am wrong, they are the source of my information on the topic. Seen it multiple times that they say IGF can be and is tested for and that Ray has never failed a test.

What I saw on espn and pft had an article last night is that IGF requires a blood test the nfl does not give.

Pft per the nfl:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/30/absence-of-failed-drug-tests-doesnt-exonerate-ray-lewis-from-igf-1-use/

Edited by NoSaint

What I saw on espn and pft had an article last night is that IGF requires a blood test the nfl does not give.

Well then that would be newer info since I last saw on those channels. When I watched them on Monday they kept reiterating that they can and do test for IGF and that Ray has never failed a test. Like I said, that was my source, haven't really looked much more into this story as I was pretty busy yesterday. So if their original info was incorrect, then so am I because that was where I originally heard it.

Well then that would be newer info since I last saw on those channels. When I watched them on Monday they kept reiterating that they can and do test for IGF and that Ray has never failed a test. Like I said, that was my source, haven't really looked much more into this story as I was pretty busy yesterday. So if their original info was incorrect, then so am I because that was where I originally heard it.

fair enough - it happens. I dont expect you to personally know the drug rules inside and out (heck, the people paid to know them seem to struggle). all we can go on is reports - i linked the pft article in my post, which could be proven wrong too but thats the latest ive seen and they claim they got that info from the nfl. i suspect out of the gate, networks mightve just run with the "he never tested positive" storyline without a definitive answer on if he could have.

ray just said it was the work of the devil, so i guess the case is closed!

Do you really think Ray would take a PED that could be tested for? He's been in the league 17 years--he's a pro at this.

That being said, I have no problem with pro athletes using HGH-type treatment to rocover form injury if it is under a physician's supervision. Why not? Especially the older guys.

I found all the comments made from sore loser patriots fans hilarious.

Yeah, they remind me of the sore loser's here attacking Tom Brady.

[quote name=RyanC883' timestamp='1359570964' post='2718323

Here is an interesting take on the topic: punish the teams for positive tests.

http://triblive.com/...z#axzz2JTvUxvfH

This leads to something that I can't recall anyone bringing up. If you are the NY yankees, and you have signed 10 of the top free agents over a 4 year period, all of whom are working with PED enhancement, why would you want there to be good testing? It would destroy the teams that are shelling out big bucks. There will never be a truly effective testing program implemented.

Ray Lewis is a creep.

http://deadspin.com/...","height":1689}

This pretty much sums it up:

"No one disputes that Lewis should be a Hall of Famer, and I guess we can all agree that he's a good leader. He sure shouts a lot. What is in dispute is whether he's an overrated, self-aggrandizing sack of sh--t who throws God in your face any time you accuse him of being anything less than a saint."

"Ray Lewis wasn't that great. It's a whole lot easier making tackles when either Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams, or Haloti Ngata are tying up three linemen at a time, and every scorekeeper credits you with a tackle if your pinky finger happens to touch the pile, and you're hopped up on Bambi's antlers. Let's not suck Ray-Ray's di--k too hard. There are other human beings on the Ravens defense, you know. That a--hole isn't doing it all by himself. Oh, but I'm sure he lent them his God Powerups."

Drew Magary is a killer!

Edited by Mr. WEO

http://deadspin.com/...","height":1689}

This pretty much sums it up:

"No one disputes that Lewis should be a Hall of Famer, and I guess we can all agree that he's a good leader. He sure shouts a lot. What is in dispute is whether he's an overrated, self-aggrandizing sack of sh--t who throws God in your face any time you accuse him of being anything less than a saint."

"Ray Lewis wasn't that great. It's a whole lot easier making tackles when either Tony Siragusa, Sam Adams, or Haloti Ngata are tying up three linemen at a time, and every scorekeeper credits you with a tackle if your pinky finger happens to touch the pile, and you're hopped up on Bambi's antlers. Let's not suck Ray-Ray's di--k too hard. There are other human beings on the Ravens defense, you know. That a--hole isn't doing it all by himself. Oh, but I'm sure he lent them his God Powerups."

Drew Magary is a killer!

Ravens with Ray Lewis this year, including post season = 8-1 or .888 win percentage

Ravens without Ray Lewis this year = 5-5 or .500 win percentage

Considering they had no other major injuries, seems to me that Ray has been a pretty big part of this team and its success. Not to mention, without Ray, Denver blew them out...with Ray, they went into Denver and pulled the upset. And they went on the road and beat Luck, Manning, and Brady in their own houses to get to the SB when no one really gave that much of a chance prior to the return of Ray.

I would say that's a pretty big impact for a guy in his 17th year, not to mention he had good games too, not just a ra ra impact. I will take that kind of "isn't that great" every day of the week and twice on Sundays. He would instantly be the best LB on majority of the teams in the NFL still to this day even in his 17th season.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Yeah, of what little cred he had before making that ridiculous claim.

Drews schtick is to say what the average fan is thinking not what's factually accurate or offering deep analysis.

He does "great moments in poop history" and "drunken hookup failures" as weekly segments.

Edited by NoSaint

Ravens with Ray Lewis this year, including post season = 8-1 or .888 win percentage

Ravens without Ray Lewis this year = 5-5 or .500 win percentage

Considering they had no other major injuries, seems to me that Ray has been a pretty big part of this team and its success. Not to mention, without Ray, Denver blew them out...with Ray, they went into Denver and pulled the upset. And they went on the road and beat Luck, Manning, and Brady in their own houses to get to the SB when no one really gave that much of a chance prior to the return of Ray.

I would say that's a pretty big impact for a guy in his 17th year, not to mention he had good games too, not just a ra ra impact. I will take that kind of "isn't that great" every day of the week and twice on Sundays. He would instantly be the best LB on majority of the teams in the NFL still to this day even in his 17th season.

Ray was gone after week 6, The Ravens made the playoffs anyway.

The Ravens gave up 34 points to Denver without Ray, they gave up 35 points with Ray. They beat the Broncos because Flacco and Rice destroyed a better defense than the Ravens and Manning's noodly arm finally gave out and because John Fox's bad coaching down the stretch.

Saying that a team turned themselves around because they got their...starting MLB back ..is ridiculous. It's something a sportswriter would write because all of his colleagues were writing it.

Yeah, of what little cred he had before making that ridiculous claim.

Credibility?? "oh the irony". He's a guy who writes funny things on the internet. See NoSaints explanation below. The guy with the "credibility" issue is your pal Ray Lewis. How long before he comes clean on this? I'm guessing never.

I am softening on Ray though. In the past 2 days he has gone from an annoying but very tired act to the gift that keeps on giving:

Still hounding him re: the stabbings in Atlanta?--how dare you! "Nobody here is really qualified to ask those questions. I just truly feel that this is God's time, and whatever his time is, you know, let it be his will."

Pesky allegations of PED use?---that's easy: "That’s the trick of the devil. The trick of the devil is to kill, steal and destroy. That’s what he comes to do. He comes to distract you from everything you’re trying to do.”

At least Lance Armstrong didn't rely on blasphemy when he was lying to us.

Drews schtick is to say what the average fan is thinking not what's factually accurate or offering deep analysis.

He does "great moments in poop history" and "drunken hookup failures" as weekly segments.

Yes, but he "killed his credibility" when he crossed the line you never cross (The Ray Lewis Line)!

Very interesting in the comments section:

"London Fletcher: 15 seasons, 240 games, 1,685 tackles, 37 sacks, 2 safety's, 73 passes batted down, 23 ints, 2 tds, 18 forced fumbles, 1 Superbowl ring.

Ray Lewis: 17 seasons, 228 games, 1,336 tackles, 41 sacks, 1 safety, 67 passes batted down, 31 ints, 3 tds, 17 forced fumbles, 1 Superbowl ring. "

Fletcher played his career all wrong. He should have been much more of an overbearing camera hog and in your face God pray-er. He would be a "first ballot lock" and "the greatest leader in the history of team sports."

Credibility?? "oh the irony". He's a guy who writes funny things on the internet.

Ah, so it was a comedy piece. Well then, that redeems Drewy a bit.

Yes, but he "killed his credibility" when he crossed the line you never cross (The Ray Lewis Line)!

Very interesting in the comments section:

"London Fletcher: 15 seasons, 240 games, 1,685 tackles, 37 sacks, 2 safety's, 73 passes batted down, 23 ints, 2 tds, 18 forced fumbles, 1 Superbowl ring.

Ray Lewis: 17 seasons, 228 games, 1,336 tackles, 41 sacks, 1 safety, 67 passes batted down, 31 ints, 3 tds, 17 forced fumbles, 1 Superbowl ring. "

Fletcher played his career all wrong. He should have been much more of an overbearing camera hog and in your face God pray-er. He would be a "first ballot lock" and "the greatest leader in the history of team sports."

Lewis also has 7-1st team and 3-2nd team AP All-Pro noms while Fletcher has 2-2nd team All-Pro noms (nevermind the huge disparity in Pro Bowl noms). Think the writers (of which Magary was obviously not one) were swayed by Lewis' personality?

Edited by Doc

Ah, so it was a comedy piece. Well then, that redeems Drewy a bit.

Lewis also has 7-1st team and 3-2nd team AP All-Pro noms while Fletcher has 2-2nd team All-Pro noms (nevermind the huge disparity in Pro Bowl noms). Think the writers (of which Magary was obviously not one) were swayed by Lewis' personality?

Pro Bowls and All Pro teams have a lot to do with popularity. That being said, Lewis was also a member of quite a few fantastic defenses while Fletcher was mired in some pretty mediocre Ds (to put it nicely.) So people look at Fletcher's numbers and say, "yeah, but those tackles game 5-10 yards downfield!" Right or wrong, that's what they say and it's because many of his D's weren't very good.

Pro Bowls and All Pro teams have a lot to do with popularity. That being said, Lewis was also a member of quite a few fantastic defenses while Fletcher was mired in some pretty mediocre Ds (to put it nicely.) So people look at Fletcher's numbers and say, "yeah, but those tackles game 5-10 yards downfield!" Right or wrong, that's what they say and it's because many of his D's weren't very good.

All-Pro noms are far more credible than Pro Bowl noms.