NFL looking to modify Rooney Rule

sullim4

This paragraph from the linked article caught my attention:

Caldwell won his first 14 games with the Colts in 2009 before losing the final two regular-season games after resting
and most of his starters. The Colts reached the Super Bowl only to lose to the
. Indianapolis went 10-6 the following season and captured another AFC South title, but lost to the Jets in a wild-card game. With Manning sidelined all of last season, the Colts went just 2-14 and Caldwell lost his job.

Which detail jumps out? Peyton Manning? This was clearly an example of The Emperor Has No Clothes. The issue with Jim Caldwell not getting any interviews has more to do with Jim Caldwell than a failure of the Rooney Rule.

That didnt help the case that it was working. Espn dedicating hours of programming to the plight of the black coach this week was likely the major catalyst for this comment though. It likely also will not go an inch further either.

I bet you're right. A public comment to "look into it" could very likely be a PR move to settle down any potential angst.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew this was coming, especially after all of those candidates that were good coaches (Horton, Caldwell, and ESPECIALLY Smith) were bypassed for overhyped names. Yeah, call it the "year of the avoid retread coaches", but to me it is incredibly sad and points to a systematic racial bias, and I'm white. Not hiring Lovie Smith was a HUGE alarm for me.

I knew this was coming, especially after all of those candidates that were good coaches (Horton, Caldwell, and ESPECIALLY Smith) were bypassed for overhyped names. Yeah, call it the "year of the avoid retread coaches", but to me it is incredibly sad and points to a systematic racial bias, and I'm white. Not hiring Lovie Smith was a HUGE alarm for me.

That..... And again, the espn specials trying to deflect attention from them and the rob Parker stuff to how EVERYBODY struggles with race. It's been a major thing this week.

There are too few white players in the NFL. I think we need a rule as to how many are on each team! This whole thing is ridiculous Whaley is black, hired a white guy. Whaley will also most likely be the Bills next GM. Teams want to win and will hire the best person to do that, black, white, mixed, whatever. For example, if Tony Dungy came back this year someone would have taken him. There was one black candidate with HC experience, Lovie Smith, and he indicated that he would not consider a coordinator spot. So really one candidate.

It was the year of the avoid hiring a retread coach. That's why Lovie was not hired. Not a red flag. Do you even know what systematic racial bias is? I think Rob Ryan was fired because he was black. Oh, no, wait, he was white. If he were black I'm sure ESPN would have a full episode about his firing and try to blame it somehow on race. The race card: great for ratings.

This paragraph from the linked article caught my attention:

Caldwell won his first 14 games with the Colts in 2009 before losing the final two regular-season games after resting
and most of his starters. The Colts reached the Super Bowl only to lose to the
. Indianapolis went 10-6 the following season and captured another AFC South title, but lost to the Jets in a wild-card game. With Manning sidelined all of last season, the Colts went just 2-14 and Caldwell lost his job.

Which detail jumps out? Peyton Manning? This was clearly an example of The Emperor Has No Clothes. The issue with Jim Caldwell not getting any interviews has more to do with Jim Caldwell than a failure of the Rooney Rule.

I bet you're right. A public comment to "look into it" could very likely be a PR move to settle down any potential angst.

Exactly. Tony Dungy ran the Colts, then the team was handed off to a guy who never had to coach because Dungy and Manning did all of that. On a random note, the NFL should have a lotto like the NHL and NBA, would be much more entertaining!

In a sport where you eran your spot on the team by merit (most of the time) now the NFL wants quotas on HC and GMs? So how do they go about and force a team to hire a candidate that is not on the top of the list. Horton will not get a HC spot until he quits being a hot head. Only 1 coach that was fired got a HC job (Reid). This push by the NFL and ESPN coincides with Dr Martin Luther King day and Black History month. The push should be to get guys into coaching in High school ranks and College. They have made in roads but need more men getting involved at the entry level. Track how most coaches and GMs got to the NFL and guide young men in those directions. Retreads and the old boys network is played out. See Norv Turner and Dave Wannstedt.

Not hiring Lovie Smith was a HUGE alarm for me.

If you're going to point your finger at Lovie not being hired, you're going to have to also point your finger at the person who fired him and be prepared to accept their reasoning.

If you look at the only other coach that was previously fired (Reid), you'll see a much better resume.

I don't get the vibe coach candidates in the NFL are being avoided due to race. The problem is I don't think the PR machine media will be satisfied until 50% of the coaches are black.

Why does no one focus on the fact that only about 15% of the population is black. I think the NFL is way closer to where it should be than people give it credit for.

I don't get the vibe coach candidates in the NFL are being avoided due to race. The problem is I don't think the PR machine media will be satisfied until 50% of the coaches are black.

Why does no one focus on the fact that only about 15% of the population is black. I think the NFL is way closer to where it should be than people give it credit for.

The biggest issue is when you dig into NCAA stats. Especially rehire stats. It makes the whole sport look bad, even if fair. There's something wrong it seems, but quotas wouldn't make it right. The nfl will never go farther than forcing an interview though.

The biggest issue is when you dig into NCAA stats. Especially rehire stats. It makes the whole sport look bad, even if fair. There's something wrong it seems, but quotas wouldn't make it right. The nfl will never go farther than forcing an interview though.

I can't say I'm familiar with NCAA rules/stats. I agree thought that the NFL cannot really go any further than what it already has. They cannot dictate who teams hire at arguably the most important position in the game. What options does the league really have?

I think drawing more attention to an issue they cannot correct will cause more harm than good.

I can't say I'm familiar with NCAA rules/stats. I agree thought that the NFL cannot really go any further than what it already has. They cannot dictate who teams hire at arguably the most important position in the game. What options does the league really have?

I think drawing more attention to an issue they cannot correct will cause more harm than good.

I believe only willingham has EVER gotten hired by a second team. It's turned into a one and done culture that black coaches have begun to publicly complain about. No good.

The Rooney rule is garbage. It's reverse discrimination. Who cares what color they are? The best candidates will get the jobs.

Now they have all black dating sites. What would happen if I started a white only dating site? Complete BS and it's growing old.

This was typed in bold font. I believe it.

I thought the goal of a football team was to win games, not to achieve some artificial notion of "diversity." If diversity was the real objective and not winning, they should also require player rosters to be more diverse (rather than just have the best possible talent).

"Sorry 5'3 Asian guy... you're playing Nose Tackle this Sunday. Not enough ASIAN NT's so suit up and Good Luck". Besides, why the discrimination against small guys playing DL or OL and what about the discrimination against special Needs 'players' in the league ? Me thinks we need to investigate Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

On the Bills main message board, the mods won't even let you discuss the subject. Just a note in the forum (CLOSED)

The topic I saw was directly connected to Doug Marrone and the Bills too !!

I don't think the NFL would be very happy about that. It tell you there is a problem IMO

:flirt:

Edited by HOUSE

with the way the league is, cutthroat, to say the least, i think the owners would climb over the graves of their mothers to hire the best guy they feel could win, regardless of color. i think the rooney rule is a joke, an insult to african -american candidates.. if a guy is qualified, he will be hired.. to believe that the owners are consciously not hiring african- americans doesnt seem plausible..

Exactly. People who really believe a business owner/manager would hire an inferior candidate because of skin color have clearly never owned or managed a business.