NFL looking to modify Rooney Rule

sullim4

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"the hiring results this year have been unexpected and reflect a disappointing lack of diversity". What, exactly, was this guy expecting? What minority candidates were in the running for a HC job?

Unless the "modified Rooney Rule" explicitly demands that a team hire a minority as their next HC or GM, this Rule cannot achieve its stated goals.

with the way the league is, cutthroat, to say the least, i think the owners would climb over the graves of their mothers to hire the best guy they feel could win, regardless of color. i think the rooney rule is a joke, an insult to african -american candidates.. if a guy is qualified, he will be hired.. to believe that the owners are consciously not hiring african- americans doesnt seem plausible..

I think the Rooney Rule is working fine. The goal was to get more exposure and practice for minority candidates, eventually leading to their hire. To that end, it's been successful.

The issue is the talent pool available to become head coaches. If you look at the coordinators and hot college coaches, there just aren't a lot of minorities. The NFL would be wise to focus its time on helping minorities in position coaches grow into really good coordinators, then helping to promote those coordinators as head coaching candidates.

It will take years to be successful, but that's the most likely plan to long-term success I think.

The Rooney rule is garbage. It's reverse discrimination. Who cares what color they are? The best candidates will get the jobs.

Now they have all black dating sites. What would happen if I started a white only dating site? Complete BS and it's growing old.

I thought that the Rooney Rule had been a success? What, one bad year and people are crying foul? I think the real racists are the brass in NYC.

http://www.lasentinel.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3056:rooney-rule-a-total-success-for-black-coaches-in-the-nfl&catid=106&Itemid=196

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/nfls-rooney-rule-has-boosted-minority-coaches-and-general-managers/1211219

Edited by kas23

It couldn't possibly be that teams were favoring offense-oriented coaches, most of which happened to be white. No, it had to be racism that prevented African-American coaches from getting hited.

Wonder what the response would be to the question "why are 70% of NFL players black?"

Here's a study from a while back (2008) on race by position. http://blogs.citypag..._a_study_in.php

No one seems to mind no black placekickers.

Edited by The Wiz

As far as I can see, many former players are becoming assistants and positional coaches. Most HC's don't get that shot until they've been coaching for 20+ years - so, as others have stated, it isn't as much about racism and opportunity now, as it is about timing. In ten years half the coaches in the NFL might be African Americans. If an African American candidate was a genius, and blew the minds of the GM's interviewing them, he'd be hired by someone - sure, he might get passed over once or twice, but eventually an exceptional NFL mind will get a shot, if he's patient and persistent.

The Rooney Rule is serving it's purpose, and serving it well. If the NFL believes otherwise, they should provide a list of minority candidates with acceptable credentials for public scrutiny.

Having said that, I wonder if the reported argument between Ray Horton and management in Arizona is directly responsible for this announcement? Once McCoy was hired in San Diego, Horton believed he was getting the job--- possibly because he was led to believe so. When that proved to not be the case, and Arians was hired, there was apparently a spat.

The Rooney Rule is serving it's purpose, and serving it well. If the NFL believes otherwise, they should provide a list of minority candidates with acceptable credentials for public scrutiny.

Having said that, I wonder if the reported argument between Ray Horton and management in Arizona is directly responsible for this announcement? Once McCoy was hired in San Diego, Horton believed he was getting the job--- possibly because he was led to believe so. When that proved to not be the case, and Arians was hired, there was apparently a spat.

That didnt help the case that it was working. Espn dedicating hours of programming to the plight of the black coach this week was likely the major catalyst for this comment though. It likely also will not go an inch further either.